Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Just now, BottomLine said:

After watching Arkansas - Texas Tech, I'd take either coach in a heartbeat just because they can get their players to play that hard.  Haven't seen that from the Hoosiers in quite some time.  Getting tired of hearing the coach say how hard we are playing when they don't pass the eye test.

Another thought.  Justin Smith sure makes me wonder if IU is where players go to die.  Smarts and ability and the coach spent three years trying to cram a square peg in a round hole instead of figuring out how to use that ability.  No wonder Smith had a "bad" attitude.

Have no idea why this popped up here and now.  

2 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

Comment on Muss, I have some close friends that are connected in the Arkansas AD. I have been to Walton Arena (known locally as the basketball palace of Mid-America) several times, and I can say pretty definitely he is NOT an option. As much as I would like to have him, his family loves Fayetteville, the fan base is amazing and the facilities are top notch. We can't outbid Arky either. Even in Arkansas circles it is thought he may be just there for a few years and is looking for NBA head man status. Look at his coaching record, he is, in a word, transient.  Any move here would probably be in a similar vein. Think any chance of him is DOA, unless he has some history with Indiana I don't know of. Just FWIW.

I think he leaves in a couple of years, judging by his track record

5 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I could care less if I was told everything or nothing.  Both pay the same, I just share what I’m told.  Sometimes I’m right, most of the time I’m wrong

To be clear, I don’t mean you when I say “insider source.” I mean the folks you guys are getting info from. There has been a change in the tone of the info that coincides with all the discussion of things being kept “under wraps” since Friday.

1 minute ago, BottomLine said:

After watching Arkansas - Texas Tech, I'd take either coach in a heartbeat just because they can get their players to play that hard.  Haven't seen that from the Hoosiers in quite some time.  Getting tired of hearing the coach say how hard we are playing when they don't pass the eye test.

Another thought.  Justin Smith sure makes me wonder if IU is where players go to die.  Smarts and ability and the coach spent three years trying to cram a square peg in a round hole instead of figuring out how to use that ability.  No wonder Smith had a "bad" attitude.

Yeah Smith was always good but flawed, as is every player. It’s not his fault he was deployed incorrectly at IU.

Also, if he’d played here for the coach who originally recruited him, he probably would’ve canned 35% of his 3s

1 minute ago, go iu bb said:

Truly doomed? Dealt a fatal blow? That's a bit hyperbolic. Miller needed to go anyways. Even the not perfect coaches being mentioned are an upgrade after Miller. 

We are a program in the toilet and somehow trending further downward, somehow. We just took one of the games consensus great young coaches, chewed him up, and spit him out. If we were misled into making a coaching change by Stevens, it’s a fatal blow. Dolson would be working from square one with no hot leads. Don’t forget the donors who ponied up the dough to make the transition. This is true and Dolson and the athletic Dept just likely burned up every dime of political capital they had. Just imagine for one second that you were given assurances that a certain guy was coming, if you could meet certain demands, you commit to potentially 8 figures of your money towards said guy, and the athletic Dept delivers Dane ******* Fife...... I’d never take another phone call. Neither would you. 

14 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Maybe, but whatever happened today was an embarrassment. Where does the truth lie? I doubt it’s 100% fabrication. Maybe it’s all 100% true. We need to get our stuff together.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

It seems most likely to me that the person who should be embarrassed is the guy at Rivals who printed the rumor, not IU

1 minute ago, GreatMcCracken’sGhost said:

To be clear, I don’t mean you when I say “insider source.” I mean the folks you guys are getting info from. There has been a change in the tone of the info that coincides with all the discussion of things being kept “under wraps” since Friday.

This 100%. 

47 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Not exactly what I said, at least not what I meant.  Dolson and A LOT others thought there was no need for a plan B.  They had a plan B but I’m not sure it was thought of much.  I thought I said Archie wouldn’t have been fired if they didn’t think they had Stevens, at least that’s what I meant 

Apologies if I misquoted. Definitely wasn’t my intention. 

I am sometimes so embarrassed of this fan base with some comments I see from so called fans.  IU fan base use to represent something good and was different than all other fan bases but not so much any longer.
I can't agree with you more than I do now.
After Stevens, so many posters said I'm not believing anything again. Now some of them are right back to it. There have been contradictory tweets on Matta, so obviously no one really knows.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

We are a program in the toilet and somehow trending further downward, somehow. We just took one of the games consensus great young coaches, chewed him up, and spit him out. If we were misled into making a coaching change by Stevens, it’s a fatal blow. Dolson would be working from square one with no hot leads. Don’t forget the donors who ponied up the dough to make the transition. This is true and Dolson and the athletic Dept just likely burned up every dime of political capital they had. Just imagine for one second that you were given assurances that a certain guy was coming, if you could meet certain demands, you commit to potentially 8 figures of your money towards said guy, and the athletic Dept delivers Dane ******* Fife...... I’d never take another phone call. Neither would you. 

Wha?!? Archie's failure is 100% on Archie's shoulders. I didn't tell him to favor Romeo or refuse to practice FT's or ignore recruiting/developing shooters. I doubt you did either, so not sure who "we" is. He got a shot at the big-time and shat himself. 

Been off the thread since about 3.  Does this sum up the last few hours?
unsubstantiated rumors that Matta agreed to a deal with Indiana and then failed a physical.  Quickly shot down by the most reliable local reporters from our athletic department as untrue.  No one actually has any reliable information that IU talked to Matta, much less went into contract talks or asked him to take alleged physical.  Reaction even after this non proof assumes that all the rumors were true and that apparently he was the only guy we have talked and that we are an embarrassment.  Then some Indiana sports guy with a twitter following smaller than my 12 year old nephew says it will be Belein, then intimates it will be someone from a multitude of former Indians guys.
do I have it summed up?

Yes. You should save us all a lot of time and just do this for every day haha.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

Been off the thread since about 3.  Does this sum up the last few hours?

unsubstantiated rumors that Matta agreed to a deal with Indiana and then failed a physical.  Quickly shot down by the most reliable local reporters from our athletic department as untrue.  No one actually has any reliable information that IU talked to Matta, much less went into contract talks or asked him to take alleged physical.  Reaction even after this non proof assumes that all the rumors were true and that apparently he was the only guy we have talked and that we are an embarrassment.  Then some Indiana sports guy with a twitter following smaller than my 12 year old nephew says it will be Belein, then intimates it will be someone from a multitude of former Indians guys.

do I have it summed up?

I majored in Journalism when I was in college, and my teachers always stressed getting every detail right. Why? Because even if you publish a correction after publishing a mistake, some people will see the correction, but everyone will remember the mistake. 

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

I keep seeing this "prints money" comment about Arkansas...why haven't they printed money for a football coach? They were a good football program in the SWC in the old days. You think they want to suck at the sport that makes the REAL money? They've been trash in the SEC, why not throw money at a big time football coach? For that matter, why were they wandering in the desert for so many years after Richardson was axed? They could've money-whipped a big name coach years ago, why didn't they?

This, exactly this. Yes the Waltons absolutely COULD throw money at the program and its coaches but they haven’t really tried that up to now.

Musselman’s transience is not a problem. He immediately made Nevada better than it had been IN ITS HISTORY, then left for a better job. He has gotten Arkansas near its historic peak, 1994 notwithstanding, in two years. Indiana is a better job than Arkansas.

What’s a better job than Indiana? To Muss, probably the NBA. But two issues there:

1. If he leaves for a pro job, it probably means he did very well at IU, and
2. The NBA tried him twice already, so he’d be a retread who would probably not get tons of interest at that level unless he REALLY crushed it for awhile in college.