Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

14 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The Hawks liked his coaching so much that they fired him after winning 65% of his games in 2010. 

I can't be sure of the time period, but the Hawks had a stretch where they went trough about three owners in as many years. Even had a period where it was in the courts.

3 minutes ago, Indiana8585 said:

Then why would he? No one can give any other reason other than he was an unsuccessful nba coach on here. Please give one reason he makes a good candidate beside playing at IU? 

I don't see that many (any?) saying he's their preferred, or even one of their preferred candidates. Read the thread. People ARE saying that his NBA resume is not half bad. 

I'll speak for myself; trashing Woody and only claiming you'll be satisfied with a group that won't be willing to leave their current jobs is a bad bad take.

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

*what absolutely no one said.

Do you think someone needs to come out and literally say it? I understand that you’ve been looking on the bright side of any potential hires, but it’s beyond obvious that it’s the only reason why anyone would give him a second thought. We’ve got people trying to rationalize why 3 winning seasons in 8 full seasons and never advancing past the second round actually isn’t that bad. If he had went to, say, Florida instead of IU 40 years ago, everyone would be laughing at the idea. But since he went to IU, some people think it would be a good hire. 

And if those people don’t think that he would be a good hire then they’re advocating for someone who they think would be a bad hire. 

1 hour ago, Kentuckysucks said:

Checks all the boxes?  Has never coached at the college level.  Has never recruited before.  Is old.  Proven loser at the NBA level.  What box does he check?  That he's an NBA guy?  That's worked wonders for Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, St John's, Memphis, Georgetown, etc.

tenor (13).gif

Just now, Stuhoo said:

I don't see that many (any?) saying he's their preferred, or even one of their preferred candidates. Read the thread. People ARE saying that his NBA resume is not half bad. 

I have read the thread and please please since you just said it yourself, how is his resume not half bad? He’s only had three winning seasons. I’ve read the thread and it’s crazy talk about Woodson being some good nba coach. If he didn’t go to IU his name would be laughed at by the same posters defending him. 

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I'll speak for myself; trashing Woody and only claiming you'll be satisfied with a group that won't be willing to leave their current jobs is a bad bad take.

Maybe you should read the thread, I said I’ve met Woodson nice great guy when I was at IU because a friend was living in his apartments he owned with May at the time. So don’t take some cheap shot at me saying I’m trashing Woodson. I’m saying his three winning seasons in 8 doesn’t look great for a candidate. 

Ive never thrown out any candidates so that last paragraph is just a cheap shot. 

Edited by Indiana8585

Beard, Beilein, and Woodson seem to be the top 3. I'll give whoever it is a chance. Won't be crazy about Woodson but outside of Alford he's probably the best "IU guy". Beard and Beilein will be massive upgrades and should give Indiana a chance. 

25 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

Fife?

Watched this about half the way through. Jeez -- I felt as if was listening to an evangelical preacher who essentially was saying IU basketball is dying and Dane Fife is the only who can heal it. ... He makes an odd argument, though. ... We hired "proven" head coaches the past three times, so let's hire an unproven  one this time? Huh? ... To be honest, I don't know a whole lot about Kent Sterling, but just about every time I hear him speak -- which hasn't been much -- to me, he comes off as a kind of a doofus. 

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Probably just excited to go home and see his family.   IU on spring break?  The student athletes had to sacrifice and to ton to get this season played and going home and seeing your family was one of them.   Now that the season is over I would guess they would be able to visit home 

Nope.  No spring break this year.  

2 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Watched this about half the way through. Jeez -- I felt as if was listening to an evangelical preacher who essentially was saying IU basketball is dying and Dane Fife is the only who can heal it. ... He makes an odd argument, though. ... We hired "proven" head coaches the past three times, so let's hire an unproven  one this time? Huh? ... To be honest, I don't know a whole lot about Kent Sterling, but just about every time I hear him speak -- which hasn't been much -- to me, he comes off as a kind of a doofus. 

Doofus puts it lightly. 

He just changes his mind on who our coach should be based on the general sentiment to get clicks and look like he's relevant. 

2 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Well if you need a great dentist Dr. Mike O'Neil is your guy.

9 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

To be honest, I don't know a whole lot about Kent Sterling, but just about every time I hear him speak -- which hasn't been much -- to me, he comes off as a kind of a doofus. 

I think you have him pegged pretty well.

3 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Wow -- both Penn State and Minnesota hire top assistants, instead of head coaches. Interesting. I thought Brian Dutcher would be a natural fit at the Barn. Guess they wanted someone younger -- and apparently, a locak guy. 

It shocks me that professional journalists don’t at least use Autocorrect 

Last post on Woodson, I don’t want to put him down or anything but IMO he’s just not the right answer at this time for IU. We need a sure thing or as close as we can get because this program just needs to start becoming relevant again in the big ten let alone the ncaa tournament. Hope everyone has a good rest of the day I think I’ve gone crazy these past couple days with all the changing information.