Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Not at all...I'm old too...But I remember that game well and the stink RMK caused in the post game presser because of the late start time (9 eastern, I think) to accommodate ESPN...

I completely forgot about Yoder and Jackson too for that matter.It does seem Bennett started the turnaround so I guess that's where my mind took me.

I remember Knight being pissed over the late starting times and agree to this day.

7 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

He can win. And he'd win at Indiana and I'd love that. But he and his style don't belong here. We just spent 4 years struggling to score and now we are going to try and not score? Nah. Some coaches fit places well. He doesn't fit Indiana. From personality to playing style. 

"Try and not score" is a horrible, horrible take.  2nd in offensive efficiency on his championship team, 16th this year.

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

"Try and not score" is a horrible, horrible take.  2nd in offensive efficiency on his championship team, 16th this year.

I actually really enjoyed watching that championship team. They can be boring, and I wish they played a bit more uptempo, but it can also be fun to watch when there is good offensive personnel.

18 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Exactly.  He adapted to the situation.  When they played the Runnin Rebels in 1987 he knew they would have to up the tempo to win.  So they went on to out score them.  And off to the Championship they went.  

That 87 team also averaged 82.5 ppg. So it's not like they needed a huge adjustment. They were already a great scoring team. But UNLV did average 10 ppg more. 

Man this board really needs something to lock onto. This little desert of no-info has turned into a pissing match of people who speak in absolutes that know absolutely nothing about what would, could or can happen. Also the same point being made 35x. Relax, wait for some news.

If I were trying to make an anti-Bennett case I’d say:

1. If you’re good, you should try to create more possessions. More opportunity for separation, for the cream to rise; less opportunity for random chance events to have outsized importance.

2. I don’t necessarily think slowing down another team’s offense is bad. But long offensive possessions are typically less efficient.

3. The packline can be effective but is more and more a relic of a bygone era when shooting %s were worse AND teams tried harder to get to the rim or were more willing to settle for two-point jumpers. Congrats to Bennett for succeeding with it but it hemorrhages corner and nail catch-and-shoot 3s, aka the shots offenses want most (aside from maybe dunks and layups).

4. Collectively, this has worked for him...mostly. Good teams lose upset tournament games for lots of reasons: random chance shooting events by either team, bad tactical matchups, injuries, under-/over-seeding. Simply being a high seed frequently means you’re good and sometimes you’ll lose to a lesser team. But stylistically, Virginia does play a style that makes them more susceptible to upsets and the outcomes sure prove it.

56 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

To the new people LCS is a consistent as it gets when it comes to Bennett.   He could win back to back NC at IU and he still is not going to be a fan.   Worst thing that ever happened to LCS was Bennett winning it all.  Can’t ever say his style can’t win it all.   No point in arguing it or putting up the stats.   Put this debate in the agree to disagree category 

I've always preferred a burger anyways.

58 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

To the new people LCS is a consistent as it gets when it comes to Bennett.   He could win back to back NC at IU and he still is not going to be a fan.   Worst thing that ever happened to LCS was Bennett winning it all.  Can’t ever say his style can’t win it all.   No point in arguing it or putting up the stats.   Put this debate in the agree to disagree category 

It was the same with Archie. He could've taken us to three NCAAs in four years (no tourney last year) and LCS would've still wanted him gone. 

Because it would be a failure. He doesn't fit Indiana. We literally just had a cardboard cutout of a coach that couldn't get the fanbase excited. He fits Virginia. A historically bad basketball school that had zero culture. So Bennett built one. Indiana has a culture for basketball and Bennett is the literal opposite. 
Archie couldn't get the base excited because he didn't win. Had Archie won, the vast majority of the fan base would be excited with Archie had he won, even a "boring" win. Bennett has proven he can win.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk