Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

2 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

The Celtics are still 4th in the East even after last night's loss. Having Brown and Tatum is quite a good start and both under 25? You keep stating this about the Celtics, but I honestly don't get it. I want Stevens as much as the next guy, but to say they are stuck being mediocre seems way off base to me, but this is coming from a non-NBA fan.

Having young talent in the NBA is a great problem to have, but it doesn't always equal winning. The Celtics want world championships, not ECF appearances. 

The Celtics have $0 money to spend this summer on attracting top free agents. They have aging stars and bad contracts in Kemba Walker. 

The Celtics have been unable to attract top free agents ever since the Isiah Thomas incident. They landed Kemba Walker because they offered him a max contract at an old age. 

The Celtics don't have draft assets, no bench players, and the east is slowly getting better. The Celtics have failed to make significant trades and frankly they have two assets that they don't want to trade. 

Tatum or Brown will eventually want out. 

The Celtics have peaked. Tatum and Brown will get better but the roster mathematically really can't get better for several years. 

18 minutes ago, Mr. Hoosier Pride said:

I'm pretty high on Moser.

I watch a lot of Loyola hoops.  Moser definitely demonstrates a key trait that our last two coaches have lacked.  The ability to consistently make adjustments during games and with regards to his system.  I'm very high on him long term but I'd ideally like to see how Loyola adjusts without Cameron Krutwig.  That kid has been such a rock for the program and pain for their opponents the last four years.  That said, Krutwig might come back next year under the covid exemption rule, and even more likely Moser will move on (an analyst recently projected a 98% chance he'll get a power conference offer).  I'd also note that while his player development is excellent and he finds the right fits for his program, his experience in recruiting/coaching high 4 and 5 star players is limited.  Not saying he couldn't succeed, it's just not something we can accurately predict today.  And at the end of the day I strongly believe that some coaches just fit much, much better in mid-major environments (Miller and Alford both being classic examples).

3 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Having young talent in the NBA is a great problem to have, but it doesn't always equal winning. The Celtics want world championships, not ECF appearances. 

The Celtics have $0 money to spend this summer on attracting top free agents. They have aging stars and bad contracts in Kemba Walker. 

The Celtics have been unable to attract top free agents ever since the Isiah Thomas incident. They landed Kemba Walker because they offered him a max contract at an old age. 

The Celtics don't have draft assets, no bench players, and the east is slowly getting better. The Celtics have failed to make significant trades and frankly they have two assets that they don't want to trade. 

The Celtics have peaked. Tatum and Brown will get better but the roster mathematically really can't get better for several years. 

Know it’s not the thread and thanks for the response but help me out with the Isiah Thomas incident?

Just now, triple said:

I watch a lot of Loyola hoops.  Moser definitely demonstrates a key trait that our last two coaches have lacked.  The ability to consistently make adjustments during games and with regards to his system.  I'm very high on him long term but I'd ideally like to see how Loyola adjusts without Cameron Krutwig.  That kid has been such a rock for the program and pain for their opponents the last four years.  That said, Krutwig might come back next year under the covid exemption rule, and even more likely Moser will move on (an analyst recently projected a 98% chance he'll get a power conference offer).  I'd also note that while his player development is excellent and he finds the right fits for his program, his experience in recruiting/coaching high 4 and 5 star players is limited.  Not saying he couldn't succeed, it's just not something we can accurately predict today.  And at the end of the day I strongly believe that some coaches just fit much, much better in mid-major environments (Miller and Alford both being classic examples).

Cam's a beast.  My kid played with him as a youth.  Fun to watch him grow up and get into the tourney.  

15 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Sure, the Celtics don't attract top free agents if you ignore the ones that they attracted. Kemba Walker had just turned 29 years old when he signed that contract. If he didn't sign there, someone else would've offered him a max contract. 29 isn't "an old age" in the NBA. Kemba is the same age as Damian Lillard. 

Also, they have "aging stars" if you ignore the fact that their two best players are 23 and 24 years old. Joey Brunk is older than Jayson Tatum... They have one player older than 30 on their roster. Unless you're calling Jeff Teague a star, I'm not sure who their "aging stars" would be. 

17 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

Know it’s not the thread and thanks for the response but help me out with the Isiah Thomas incident?

Isiah Thomas was performing really well for them, scoring big numbers and was beloved by the Celtics fans. His sister died in a car wreck and he played the same night or the day after the incident. A while later they traded Isiah Thomas away after pouring his heart out for the Celtics.

They traded him for Kyrie Irving which seems like right move.

Kyrie Irving left the Celtics after a year.  Hindsight 20/20 yeah yeah. 

11 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Sure, the Celtics don't attract top free agents if you ignore the ones that they attracted. Kemba Walker had just turned 29 years old when he signed that contract. If he didn't sign there, someone else would've offered him a max contract. 29 isn't "an old age" in the NBA.

Also, they have "aging stars" if you ignore the fact that their two best players are 23 and 24 years old. Joey Brunk is older than Jayson Tatum... They have one player older than 30. Unless you're calling Jeff Teague a star, I'm not sure who their "aging stars" would be. 

No one else offered Kemba a max contract. It helps that not many teams had max space that summer.. but hell. EVEN THE HORNETS (WHO ARE THE HORNETS) didn't offer him a max. The hornets are not a good organization and they steered clear of Kemba. Kemba is a shell of him old-self. 

Aging stars, which I meant were former stars, include Jeff Teague and Tristian Thompson. Great vets and good locker room guys but they are not getting the Celtics a world championship and neither are Jayson Tatum and Brown doing it by themselves. 

The math doesn't work out. They have a trade exception that can only be used on teams looking to get rid of a bad contract. There's really no world championship hope for the Celtics anytime soon. Tatum or Brown will walk. It's the NBA. 

3 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

He has a big one tonight.  Utah St/ Colorado St should be a good one 

Do you think it’s a playin game?

8 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Isiah Thomas was performing really well for them, scoring big numbers and was beloved by the Celtics fans. His sister died in a car wreck and he played the same night or the day after the incident. A while later they traded Isiah Thomas away after pouring his heart out for the Celtics.

They traded him for Kyrie Irving which seems like right move.

Kyrie Irving left the Celtics after a year.  Hindsight 20/20 yeah yeah. 

No one else offered Kemba a max contract. It helps that not many teams had max space that summer.. but hell. EVEN THE HORNETS (WHO ARE THE HORNETS) didn't offer him a max. The hornets are not a good organization and they steered clear of Kemba. Kemba is a shell of him old-self. 

Aging stars, which I meant were former stars, include Jeff Teague and Tristian Thompson. Great vets and good locker room guys but they are not getting the Celtics a world championship and neither are Jayson Tatum and Brown doing it by themselves. 

The math doesn't work out. They have a trade exception that can only be used on teams looking to get rid of a bad contract. There's really no world championship hope for the Celtics anytime soon. Tatum or Brown will walk. It's the NBA. 

Neither Jeff Teague nor Tristan Thompson were ever stars. They have a combined 1 all-star appearance and 0 all-NBA selections in 22 seasons between the two of them. The Hornets offered Kemba Walker a $160 million contract. That's far from "steering clear" of him. They just didn't offer him the supermax because Michael Jordan is cheap and refuses to pay into the luxury tax.

Whatever you think of the Celtics, they are a much better job right now than head coach of the Indiana Hoosiers basketball team. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Neither Jeff Teague nor Tristan Thompson were ever stars. They have a combined 1 all-star appearance and 0 all-NBA selections in 22 seasons between the two of them. The Hornets offered Kemba Walker a $160 million contract. That's far from "steering clear" of him. They just didn't offer him the supermax because Michael Jordan is cheap and refuses to pay into the luxury tax.

Whatever you think of the Celtics, they are a much better job right now than head coach of the Indiana Hoosiers basketball team. 

Jeff Teague was a star. He fell off clear. Tristian was instrumental for the Cavs run with LeBron. Neither were superstars, but they were names in the league that everyone knew back then.

Yeah right now of course the Celtics seem to be a better job than the Celtics. But let's be frank here, this will be Brad's decision to leave. He's not going to coach the Kings or Pistons. Tatum and Brown are great but they don't know team basketball. They are both over profitable wings who want to do nothing but score which is fine. They can't create for others although their roster is trash.

The Celtics won't get better therefor I think Brad is best to leave a treadmill situation. Things could take a turn for the worst if Tatum requests a trade this summer. 

11 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I just read that and I don't think that's true yet. Not saying it won't happen but as of this morning, that decision hadn't been made. There were people who still needed to be talked to. 

Thanks Chris! That’s why I brought that here, I knew I could count on you for clarification,lol!