Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Just now, theriverpilot said:

I don't think anyone dislikes the man.  None of us know him personally but when you're the highest paid state employee (well, maybe not now after Allen) and you're not performing then changes need to happen.  Nice people get let go all the time for under performing.

Oh I totally agree bud. 

1 minute ago, Over 100 Games said:

All likeliness of interest/chances aside, I feel like this is the hierarchy of coaches to be considered: 

Dream Scenario (will probably never happen):
1. Brad Stevens

2. Billy Donovan 

Tier 1: 

3. Scott Drew 

4. Chris Beard 

Tier 2: 

5. (A lot will disagree with this, BUT): Greg Marshall. Guy did get in trouble, but he’s an amazing coach that we would have never had a shot at before. Very Knight-like.

6. Eric Musselman -  Killed it at Nevada - and went 21-5 this year! What a record! Never had less than a 20 win season as a head coach.

7. Craig Smith - Utah State head coach and COY in 3 different conferences. Very impressive record. Have no idea why his name hasn’t been tossed around. He’s like Musselman except 8 years younger.

Tier 3: 

8. Chris Jans - was under Greg Marshall for a long time. Currently head coach at New Mexico St - several winning seasons under his belt. This year his team somewhat under performed but he has had an impressive career. 

9. Dan Fife

Better correct the name of #9 before you get roasted.  And welcome aboard!  :-)

34 minutes ago, IUHAHN81 said:

Maybe I'm just a soft a$$ 40 year old but I felt bad for Archie during his presser when asked about the fire Archie chants. I like the guy. Just not right for IU. He just doesn't have the ability to get us right. Hopefully it works out for both sides. This hire has to be the right one. No questions asked(assuming Achie is gone).

Well when I was a freshman at IU Mike Davis got booed the whole year and the next year which was his last. That was just two years after a trip to the title game so missing the tourney again and never having a winning record in conference takes it’s toll IMO no hate just frustration. 

Edited by Indiana8585

I've never liked the idea of an Alford hire but will admit I'd take him over Archie right now. His floor is likely much higher than Archie's ceiling at IU.

That being said, I'd rather not go after him... but wouldn't be distraught if we went that direction.

I'm pretty high on Moser.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Had Craig Smith been brought up before too then?

Hadn’t heard that name yet either. And he mentioned Musselman being a potentially good option and didn’t think to include that the guy is “weird.” Good first post! Not all of us care if our next successful coach is weird.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

30 minutes ago, Over 100 Games said:

All likeliness of interest/chances aside, I feel like this is the hierarchy of coaches to be considered: 

Dream Scenario (will probably never happen):
1. Brad Stevens

2. Billy Donovan 

Tier 1: 

3. Scott Drew 

4. Chris Beard 

Tier 2: 

5. (A lot will disagree with this, BUT): Greg Marshall. Guy did get in trouble, but he’s an amazing coach that we would have never had a shot at before. Very Knight-like.

6. Eric Musselman -  Killed it at Nevada - and went 21-5 this year! What a record! Never had less than a 20 win season as a head coach.

7. Craig Smith - Utah State head coach and COY in 3 different conferences. Very impressive record. Have no idea why his name hasn’t been tossed around. He’s like Musselman except 8 years younger.

Tier 3: 

8. Chris Jans - was under Greg Marshall for a long time. Currently head coach at New Mexico St - several winning seasons under his belt. This year his team somewhat under performed but he has had an impressive career. 

9. Dane Fife

A few more Tier 3 Names: 

10. Casey Alexander - current head coach for Belmont. Did a great job at Lipscomb, and now at Belmont was26 -7 in his first year, 24-3 this year.  48 years old. 

11. Mark Pope - 6’ 10” coach at BYU who played for the nuggets. Great job at Utah Valley, and now at BYU was 24-8 in his first year, 20-6 this year. 48 years old.

12. Wes Miller - UNC Greensboro. Hasn’t stopped winning since 2016. And he’s only 38 YEARS OLD. 

IMO the problem with the id take Alford or I’d take “insert name” over Archie right now is that gets us nowhere long term. Moving on for the sake of moving on is a recipe for the same thing we’ve been dealing with for 20 years. I understand that now more than offer IU is “losing” fans and Archie is the cause but this needs to be a business decision not a knee jerk reaction decision. We can’t move on just to move on we have to move on because we have someone that makes us drastically better long term. Hiring an alford type or someone like that just kicks the can until 2025 when we’re saying “id take so and so over alford at this point” they’d at least be a little better

Just now, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

IMO the problem with the id take Alford or I’d take “insert name” over Archie right now is that gets us nowhere long term. Moving on for the sake of moving on is a recipe for the same thing we’ve been dealing with for 20 years. I understand that now more than offer IU is “losing” fans and Archie is the cause but this needs to be a business decision not a knee jerk reaction decision. We can’t move on just to move on we have to move on because we have someone that makes us drastically better long term. Hiring an alford type or someone like that just kicks the can until 2025 when we’re saying “id take so and so over alford at this point” they’d at least be a little better

Exactly.

We'd be making a full circle from CTC. Some fans will be happy but some of us would like for Indiana Basketball to return to where it's suppose to be. Not just middle of the pack  and making a dance. 

2 hours ago, monskisprodigy said:

I saw Lander appear to be engaged in the huddles, clapping for team mates, smiling, etc. So, maybe that happened afterwards, but I doubt anything happened prior. 

Now what doesn't make sense to me is, when your other guards are terrible, and you still refuse to put your Indiana Mr. Basketball or 5 star point guard in for even a minute to see if they can provide a spark...

If you go back and watch the game, or any game really, we are a pretty good team when we push the tempo and get out and run off of rebounds/steals etc. I can think of several instances, where when we push the pace, the defense isn't able to pack in on us and we are able to get to the bucket or an open look. From what I have seen, this is where Lander excels, making decisions in the fast break and open space vs. having to get 6,000 fake screens and then make a tough decision with 5 seconds left on the shot clock. 

The fact that Archie never deviated from his stale halfcourt offense and system designed around walking the ball up the court is amazing to me. 

Actually, it you watch Archie he's consistently yelling at Rob to "GO."  Even last night, there was a point he was really animated at Rob to "GO!!!" but Rob kept walking it up.  Archie's fault for not correcting that problem.  

1 hour ago, Treesh said:

The timing is perfect for Brad Stevens to consider the job. Okay, not the exact month in March.

But the Celtics have tapped out on future potential for the foreseeable future. The Nets being great at basketball is good for Indiana Basketball. Maybe. 

Gosh I hope Scott actually attempts to talk to Brad. 

The Celtics are still 4th in the East even after last night's loss. Having Brown and Tatum is quite a good start and both under 25? You keep stating this about the Celtics, but I honestly don't get it. I want Stevens as much as the next guy, but to say they are stuck being mediocre seems way off base to me, but this is coming from a non-NBA fan.

2 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Actually, it you watch Archie he's consistently yelling at Rob to "GO."  Even last night, there was a point he was really animated at Rob to "GO!!!" but Rob kept walking it up.  Archie's fault for not correcting that problem.  

I saw this too and I'm left even more lost if our lack of transition game is caused by Rob not having it in his skill set or desire, or if Archie is dictating that pace. I'd like to think Rob has the ability to go and be aggressive, but something seems instilled in his playing style to be more deliberate. Not sure if that's Archie, his HS play style, or something else, but it's been a backbreaker for the team not getting easy buckets on the break when we still can't shoot at all.

A few more Tier 3 Names: 
10. Casey Alexander - current head coach for Belmont. Did a great job at Lipscomb, and now at Belmont was26 -7 in his first year, 24-3 this year.  48 years old. 

11. Mark Pope - 6’ 10” coach at BYU who played for the nuggets. Great job at Utah Valley, and now at BYU was 24-8 in his first year, 20-6 this year. 48 years old.

12. Wes Miller - UNC Greensboro. Hasn’t stopped winning since 2016. And he’s only 38 YEARS OLD. 
Craig Smith was brought up a time or 2 and Casey Alexander has been vetted by all of us experts and I believe we decided it was too risky at this juncture. Mark Pope to me is interesting but he may be looking to stay in his particular geographical region.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Right, but again, he has a quick 5 star point guard on the bench that can push the ball if Rob refuses.

After 4 years I think we can all agree that an up tempo offense is not Archies style. For a team that struggles to shoot, why wouldn't you push the ball?