Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

9 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Nevada Under Alford per kenpom: 

Year 1: 85

Year 2: 86

Honestly that fits right in with our trend as a program. 

This is where he and Musselman aren’t the same.

The year before Musselman got there, they were Kenpom 270. Truly hard to be that bad at a large mid-major.

Musselman y1: 124

y2: 54, regular season and conf tourney champs

y3: 25, conf champs, sweet 16. Second time in school history, tied for second highest seed ever

y4: 27, conf champs, same seed

1 minute ago, el drado said:

I haven't been on this board in a while, but i am confused by the hate for Archie now?  Did something happen, or is just extreme frustration?  it reads like something happened..............if there is a change and it is Alford, i am done

I think it's called a 6 game losing streak in year 4. Never finishing with a winning record in the conference in 4 years. Yes frustrated 

Just now, lillurk said:

This is where he and Musselman aren’t the same.

The year before Musselman got there, they were Kenpom 270. Truly hard to be that bad at a large mid-major.

Musselman y1: 124

y2: 54, regular season and conf tourney champs

y3: 25, conf champs, sweet 16. Second time in school history, tied for second highest seed ever

y4: 27, conf champs, same seed

Oh yeah Mussleman did a tremendous job there. His teams were much better than Alford's, especially defensively.

I was kidding about those numbers fitting our program. 

I initially thought today but now not so sure. But the wheels are turning at Assembly Hall today. But Dolson is not making this decision by himself. But he's also doing it so there won't be many leaks. 
Can you elaborate on "wheels are turning at Assembly Hall

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

The timing is perfect for Brad Stevens to consider the job. Okay, not the exact month in March.

But the Celtics have tapped out on future potential for the foreseeable future. The Nets being great at basketball is good for Indiana Basketball. Maybe. 

Gosh I hope Scott actually attempts to talk to Brad. 

15 minutes ago, el drado said:

I haven't been on this board in a while, but i am confused by the hate for Archie now?  Did something happen, or is just extreme frustration?  it reads like something happened..............if there is a change and it is Alford, i am done

On a message board it’s extreme frustration for most.  Coming off a year where they would of qualified for the ncaa tournament and the natural progression would be to build on this and improve from last year.  I don’t think many grasp the effect that having 2 would be  senior starters from last years team not playing would have in the long run.  I know I didn’t grasp the effects.   At Indiana fair or unfair you can’t go from a tournament quality one year to a 12-15 team the next year without upsetting fans.  When it’s all said and done when Archie moves on I hope some people that are showing hate show him some love for some of the none on court results stuff that he got done.   Forcing the administration to move into a direction where they were not stuck in the 80’s will probably be his biggest accomplishment that will benefit future staffs 

I'm not invested in the "who" with a New Coach, I'm invested in the change.  The Players need it, The Students need it, the Program needs it and the base needs it.

Scott D has Cream and Crimson running through him, he'll get this right, that is what I'm putting my faith in.

Jerry Maguire.......OUT

10 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

If IU can’t get Brad, Drew, Beard or Mack I am warming to the idea of Mussleman.

This is only his second season at Arkansas. Arkansas fans have been up and down on him all year and especially last year. They are happy now obviously but March is a different season of course.

He haS a top 5 kid coming in next year. He's a car salesman that is selling the program well. We'll see if they do anything in March.

And Frankly, he's beaten IU twice last year. He stole Justin Smith away. He knows Indiana Basketball is popular but Arkansas Basketball can be popular as well.. 

39 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Steve Alford Indiana Basketball.

Imagine that. Would make a lot of older folk happy that's for sure. 

I’m an “older folk” that would not be happy.
Loved him as a player but, aside from his other issues, name a successful power 5 coach that was run out of town from two previous power 5 jobs.  I can’t think of anyone.

10 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

On a message board it’s extreme frustration for most.  Coming off a year where they would of qualified for the ncaa tournament and the natural progression would be to build on this and improve from last year.  I don’t think many grasp the effect that having 2 would be  senior starters from last years team not playing would have in the long run.  I know I didn’t grasp the effects.   At Indiana fair or unfair you can’t go from a tournament quality one year to a 12-15 team the next year without upsetting fans.  When it’s all said and done when Archie moves on I hope some people that are showing hate show him some love for some of the none on court results stuff that he got done.   Forcing the administration to move into a direction where they were not stuck in the 80’s will probably be his biggest accomplishment that will benefit future staffs 

I get it, i do.  I was rooting for him, as i liked his temperament, but if he is in over his head then changes need to happen. 

IU needs consistency, we haven't had that in decades.  I personally think that Archie had a bigger mess to clean up after crean then people acknowledge (APR, roster issues, talent issues), but if he isn't the guy IU needs to go big or stfu.

29 minutes ago, IUHAHN81 said:

Maybe I'm just a soft a$$ 40 year old but I felt bad for Archie during his presser when asked about the fire Archie chants. I like the guy. Just not right for IU. He just doesn't have the ability to get us right. Hopefully it works out for both sides. This hire has to be the right one. No questions asked(assuming Achie is gone).

I don't think anyone dislikes the man.  None of us know him personally but when you're the highest paid state employee (well, maybe not now after Allen) and you're not performing then changes need to happen.  Nice people get let go all the time for under performing.

All likeliness of interest/chances aside, I feel like this is the hierarchy of coaches to be considered: 

Dream Scenario (will probably never happen):
1. Brad Stevens

2. Billy Donovan 

Tier 1: 

3. Scott Drew 

4. Chris Beard 

Tier 2: 

5. (A lot will disagree with this, BUT): Greg Marshall. Guy did get in trouble, but he’s an amazing coach that we would have never had a shot at before. Very Knight-like.

6. Eric Musselman -  Killed it at Nevada - and went 21-5 this year! What a record! Never had less than a 20 win season as a head coach.

7. Craig Smith - Utah State head coach and COY in 3 different conferences. Very impressive record. Have no idea why his name hasn’t been tossed around. He’s like Musselman except 8 years younger.

Tier 3: 

8. Chris Jans - was under Greg Marshall for a long time. Currently head coach at New Mexico St - several winning seasons under his belt. This year his team somewhat under performed but he has had an impressive career. 

9. Dane Fife

3 minutes ago, el drado said:

I get it, i do.  I was rooting for him, as i liked his temperament, but if he is in over his head then changes need to happen. 

IU needs consistency, we haven't had that in decades.  I personally think that Archie had a bigger mess to clean up after crean then people acknowledge (APR, roster issues, talent issues), but if he isn't the guy IU needs to go big or stfu.

I don’t think some realize how bad but Archie Miller has had the worst conference record of any IU coach in almost 100 years. Even Crean didn’t go four years without a winning conference season.