Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

Let's have a fun game today. Let's saying the following names are off the list for obvious reasons we've discussed.

- Stevens, Beard, Drew, Donavan, Matta, Mack, Mussleman, Wes Miller, and Belien.

What do you do if you're Scott Dolson in that case? 

Hire an IU guy. That's the one thing that IU hasn't tried. If you can't go big then try something different. 

3 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Let's have a fun game today. Let's saying the following names are off the list for obvious reasons we've discussed.

- Stevens, Beard, Drew, Donavan, Matta, Mack, Mussleman, Wes Miller, and Belien.

Fun game! I’d interview Fife, Gates, and Shrewsberry at least. Probably would like to have a Martelli-style top assistant next to one of them, so I’d gauge their openness to that.

I’d be curious how they viewed next year’s team and their chances of making the tournament in y1, as well as a vision to reach the top echelon of the conference — lately the very top is the Michigan schools if the criteria is consistency at a high level, recruiting, and chances at big time tournament and conference success.

10 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Are they off the list because they have told him no?

If that is the case just go back through the list and offer more money. Keep doing it until they say yes. Although he should leave off Wes Miller IMO

1 hour ago, ap2345 said:

If Archie took out a his frustration on a kids parent out on the athlete that's a problem. If Lander feels the same way as his mom then that could've been it. That said I've seen many times when parents and kids aren't on the same page with these types of situations so who knows. My guess is Archie just wanted to shorten the rotation in the tournament. 

I saw Lander appear to be engaged in the huddles, clapping for team mates, smiling, etc. So, maybe that happened afterwards, but I doubt anything happened prior. 

Now what doesn't make sense to me is, when your other guards are terrible, and you still refuse to put your Indiana Mr. Basketball or 5 star point guard in for even a minute to see if they can provide a spark...

If you go back and watch the game, or any game really, we are a pretty good team when we push the tempo and get out and run off of rebounds/steals etc. I can think of several instances, where when we push the pace, the defense isn't able to pack in on us and we are able to get to the bucket or an open look. From what I have seen, this is where Lander excels, making decisions in the fast break and open space vs. having to get 6,000 fake screens and then make a tough decision with 5 seconds left on the shot clock. 

The fact that Archie never deviated from his stale halfcourt offense and system designed around walking the ball up the court is amazing to me. 

13 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

I am guessing we hear about a decision early next week IMO. I feel like the monday after the BIG tournament is always a big day for firings and transfers. Plus we don't have the NIT this year like we did in Crean's last year (I wouldn't think) so won't have to wait as long. 

Good point re: NIT. That game was at 9 pm on 3/14 and we heard the Crean news at noon 3/16.

52 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Exactly. He has his made there. The program is built. He'll probably get a raise here. I'd interview with IU just to get a raise at Baylor.

He hasn't lived in Indiana in 18 years. I don't really see the point in coming back to start from complete scratch. College Basketball is hard. Building a program is even harder today. 

Have you ever been to Waco, TX?  It is the place where hope went to die.  They can't fill a 7,000 seat arena when they are a tournament team.  They have more pay phones per capita than basketball fans.  I am not even joking, Waco still has pay phones.  When is the last time you actually saw a pay phone.  The question isn't why would he want to leave, the question is why would he want to stay.

2 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Are they off the list because they have told him no?

If that is the case just go back through the list and offer more money. Keep doing it until they say yes. Although he should leave Wes Miller IMO

Yeah they've told Scott no and are happy with their current situation. Matta isn't healthy, etc.

Just for the sake of the game, none of them are intrigued by a couple extra dollars. 

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Well, I personally would tell him to have his office cleaned out by the end of the weekend. But we'll see how Dolson handles it. 

I'll make a prediction, come Monday morning Archie is no longer our coach. Wouldn't be shocked if it happens today. 

1 minute ago, monskisprodigy said:

I saw Lander appear to be engaged in the huddles, clapping for team mates, smiling, etc. So, maybe that happened afterwards, but I doubt anything happened prior. 

Now what doesn't make sense to me is, when your other guards are terrible, and you still refuse to put your Indiana Mr. Basketball or 5 star point guard in for even a minute to see if they can provide a spark...

If you go back and watch the game, or any game really, we are a pretty good team when we push the tempo and get out and run off of rebounds/steals etc. I can think of several instances, where when we push the pace, the defense isn't able to pack in on us and we are able to get to the bucket or an open look. From what I have seen, this is where Lander excels, making decisions in the fast break vs. having to get 6,000 fake screens and then make a tough decision with 5 seconds left on the shot clock. 

The fact that Archie never deviated from his stale halfcourt offense and system designed around walking the ball up the court is amazing to me. 

YES! And idk if anyone notice but as soon as Durham came back in we were down 1 at that point. His two FT's were the last points from that point forward. Maddening! I will not miss Durham at all and when there was talk he could be back next year, NO THANKS! Whoever the new coach is needs Lander running the show!

Just now, Treesh said:

Yeah they've told Scott no and are happy with their current situation. Matta isn't healthy, etc.

Just for the sake of the game, none of them are intrigued by a couple extra dollars. 

I mean I know what I would do but Dolson never would.

Find a burner phone and give sampson a ring. 

Just now, BleedCubbieBlue said:

Have you ever been to Waco, TX?  It is the place where hope went to die.  They can't fill a 7,000 seat arena when they are a tournament team.  They have more pay phones per capita than basketball fans.  I am not even joking, Waco still has pay phones.  When is the last time you actually saw a pay phone.  The question isn't why would he want to leave, the question is why would he want to stay.

Well he's stayed there willingly for 18 years.. maybe he likes pay phones? The south in general is quite different. The culture, values, politics, everything is very very different. I assume he likes it down there. Surely someone has reached out to him before about another job and he still hasn't left.. so. 

17 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Take early retirement.

Take a chance on Fife at least then.  It's a tough spot because you can't continue with Archie and Fife is unproven at P5, BUT he has some great influences.

EDIT: and it's hard to ignore what he's done on the recruiting trail

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

His salary is $5 million and his school age kids are in Texas with his ex. His long time girlfriend is from Texas.

A very long shot to say the least.

All a consideration but not a dealbreaker. I’ve known people who have had kids in Texas and lived in other states because of work. They would fly their kids to them bi-weekly or would go see them on their weekends. It’s very doable, especially with a multi-million dollar salary Beard would be on. Plus Texas is a huge state. Are his kids in Lubbock with him? Or are they in Houston? Because Lubbock to Houston is like living in a different state in that it wouldn’t be a weekend trip to see the kids via car. It would be a flight just like living out of state. 

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

Well he's stayed there willingly for 18 years.. maybe he likes pay phones? The south in general is quite different. The culture, values, politics, everything is very very different. I assume he likes it down there. Surely someone has reached out to him before about another job and he still hasn't left.. so. 

I am actually assuming it is because they don't have cell phone service in Waco and he has been too busy building a winning program to stand by a pay phone waiting for a call from another team.