Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 hour ago, GaryP said:

Here’s a story about coaching that I was told by an old man who was a Kentucky fan:
My wife and I were returning home from a vacation in Charleston, SC right after mike Davis took over..
We had decided to get a room at a hotel on our way home which was on the Tennessee-Kentucky state line.
After checking in, we headed over to a restaurant/bar next door for drinks and dinner.
We sat next to this old man that was a Kentucky fan and started a conversation about the state of IU basketball.
The old man was pretty compassionate about the IU dilemma and stated that IU will go through 5 coaches before they find the one that will bring them back to the level they should be.
Archie is #5. Waiting now to see if this guy was some sort of savant. Hopefully he was.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

The only thing that could make this story better is if this old fella walked off and you said, "hey mister, what is your name again?" And he said, "Stad......Stad Brevens". Then turned around and walked off. 

9 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The buyout is just an excuse for the administration. The buyout becomes much less of an issue when you look at how it’s paid. 

They don’t need $10 million to hand to him the day they fire him. They need up to $10 million, paid in monthly installments for the next three years, offset by whatever he makes at the job he’s contractually obligated to search for after he gets fired. 

Plus the money for a buy-out coach, assuming we're getting a good coach. And then the new contract for the head coach!

We're made of money here at IU! 

2 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Plus the money for a buy-out coach, assuming we're getting a good coach. And then the new contract for the head coach!

The boosters who are making the call can afford it.  Their decision.

3 minutes ago, IUCane said:

The boosters who are making the call can afford it.  Their decision.

I think this depends on if they have an answer for a coach. They won't spend the money for a non-sexy hire. They'll save their money until next year. 

2 minutes ago, theriverpilot said:

I have a hard time believing the money won't be available if the right choice is made.

Agreed.  IF the boosters are happy with the replacement the funds will be there.  

17 minutes ago, Treesh said:

You have to be willing to invest in your business if you want it to succeed. A successful and nationally relevant IU basketball program would more than pay off the upfront expenses. 

If IU brings Archie back next season, every IU fan out there will know that they brought him back because of the buyout and the buyout only. He’s been so bad here that he’s breaking IU records for losing. IU takes its fans for granted. The IU administration thinks that fans will keep showing up regardless of what they do. Well, they weren’t showing up even before Covid. They couldn’t even fill the balcony for marquee matchups. It was even worse for early season and mediocre conference games.

What do they think will happen when they bring back Archie for year 5? By bringing him back, they’d be signaling how unimportant men’s basketball is to the administration. They’d rather go through another awful season than pay the buyout. Do they think the fans are going to show up to watch a piss poor product put out by an administration that doesn’t care? 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

You have to be willing to invest in your business if you want it to succeed. A successful and nationally relevant IU basketball program would more than pay off the upfront expenses. 

If IU brings Archie back next season, every IU fan out there will know that they brought him back because of the buyout and the buyout only. IU takes its fans for granted. He’s been so bad here that he’s breaking IU records for losing. The IU administration thinks that fans will keep showing up regardless of what they do. Well, they weren’t showing up even before Covid. They couldn’t even fill the balcony for marquee matchups. It was even worse for early season and mediocre conference games.

What do they think will happen when they bring back Archie for year 5? By bringing him back, they’d be signaling how unimportant men’s basketball is to the administration. They’d rather go through another awful season than pay the buyout. Do they think the fans are going to show up to watch a piss poor product put out by an administration that doesn’t care? 

I get all that. Archie doesn't deserve a year five and in a normal year -- would be fired NEXT WEEK!

But unless Scott Dolson has a home-run hire to bring to boosters. It just seems like common sense that boosters will keep ahold of their money. Who cares if IU basketball is bad for another year to be honest? We have a fantastic football program to look forward to along with a full season of tailgating. People will be spending more time outside and with friends this winter. I think the boosters will be fine with IU suffering another year.

It's the boosters money, not the admin money at this point. We're in the hole!

Fans haven't been showing up for a while, even the student section is bare empty at the balcony level. Sure more fans may not come -- especially with the closure of I-69  from Indy to Bloomington this year. Oh well though! 

Dolson told some people last week on a call that when all said and done he expects the loss this year to be around 52 million. That is counting the 6 million we lost from March 2020 to June 30th, 2020. So another 46 million from July 1st to June 30th this summer. That's not good. I do agree though it does help that the buyout is spread out over 3 years. Also, money would be there for Stevens, but highly doubt it's there from someone lesser than that. 

10 minutes ago, Treesh said:

I get all that. Archie doesn't deserve a year five and in a normal year -- would be fired NEXT WEEK!

But unless Scott Dolson has a home-run hire to bring to boosters. It just seems like common sense that boosters will keep ahold of their money. Who cares if IU basketball is bad for another year to be honest? We have a fantastic football program to look forward to along with a full season of tailgating. People will be spending more time outside and with friends this winter. I think the boosters will be fine with IU suffering another year.

Fans haven't been showing up for a while, even the student section is bare empty at the balcony level. Sure more fans may not come -- especially with the closure of I-69  from Indy to Bloomington this year. Oh well though! 

If boosters didn’t care then they wouldn’t donate millions in the first place. Another year like this past one makes IU an even less attractive job than it’d be this off-season. We’ve got the worst recruiting class in the conference coming in next season. Archie is going to struggle mightily to recruit next year with the red hot seat he’s sitting on. Who knows what the roster would look like for a new coach coming in after next season. If we’re worried about IU not being able to land a top coach because we’re no longer seen as a top destination, waiting another year just makes it even worse.

9 minutes ago, Treesh said:

The person I talked to this morning said season tickets for basketball are on pace for every other year. Now people might stop going, but they already paid for their tickets. They don't want to lose their points for when we do get a good coach. Also TV numbers have been the same, here towards the end it has very slightly decreased. 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Dolson told some people last week on a call that when all said and done he expects the loss this year to be around 52 million. That is counting the 6 million we lost from March 2020 to June 30th, 2020. So another 46 million from July 1st to June 30th this summer. That's not good. I do agree though it does help that the buyout is spread out over 3 years. Also, money would be there for Stevens, but highly doubt it's there from someone lesser than that. 

So make an all-star weekend mega-offer to Stevens, give him a week to decide, and if he turns you down you target Fife?

8 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

If boosters didn’t care then they wouldn’t donate millions in the first place. Another year like this past one makes IU an even less attractive job than it’d be this off-season. We’ve got the worst recruiting class in the conference coming in next season. Archie is going to struggle mightily to recruit next year with the red hot seat he’s sitting on. Who knows what the roster would look like for a new coach coming in after next season. If we’re worried about IU not being able to land a top coach because we’re no longer seen as a top destination, waiting another year just makes it even worse.

Indiana really isn't a good job anymore otherwise Archie would be gone next week with Chris Beard here by next Friday at noon. (Okay maybe after the tourney but you get it )

We may have more candidates next year and honestly some of the names we see here will be up for discussion again next year. I wouldn't mind a change as I think everyone needs it, including Archie for his own future. If we do fire Archie next week then hiring a cheap option like Fife would make sense then I suppose and is actually possible money wise. 

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Is the $52 million the loss in expected revenue or the loss in profit? 

3 minutes ago, lillurk said:

So make an all-star weekend mega-offer to Stevens, give him a week to decide, and if he turns you down you target Fife?

The other good thing about a big Stevens offer is it shows you’d be serious in the future. Say he leaves Boston this off-season and (God forbid) you don’t hire a new coach this year...he may wait for you next year if he’d like to return to college.

The person I talked to this morning said season tickets for basketball are on pace for every other year. Now people might stop going, but they already paid for their tickets. They don't want to lose their points for when we do get a good coach. Also TV numbers have been the same, here towards the end it has very slightly decreased. 

I personally don’t see the argument fans will stop showing up and we’ll lose more money. Fans will be in the seats, whether it’s the same fans as previous years, but someone that doesn’t have access to tickets and rarely gets to go to games will buy them just to have that experience. There are tons of IU fans everywhere, I don’t ever see AH not being pretty full no matter who the coach is.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Not totally for sure he didn't say on the call but in the Indy star article they say 60 million in loss revenue

Thanks. I’m just curious what the numbers end up being. I know it won’t be pretty, but I wonder what the actual deficit will be.