Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Maybe still a somewhat relevant basketball school ... 

In a Zoom chat w/reporters, IU receiver D.J. Matthews (a new transfer from Florida State) said: “I really do know Indiana University for basketball. I called it Oladipo’s School. That’s really all I knew about Indiana.”

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Just think we never had this much fun when Bob Knight was the coach. Except for the final fours and national championships. Coaching searches are so exciting

I wonder this will follow the same timeline as 2017. I think IU let Crean go 48 hours after the season ended. My guess is they'd do it after the Selection Sunday. I hope to goodness with a 16 team NIT tournament that Indiana would not be selected. It could also drag on if Archie and the University mutually part ways. Lots of negotiating. 

3 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I wonder this will follow the same timeline as 2017. I think IU let Crean go 48 hours after the season ended. My guess is they'd do it after the Selection Sunday. I hope to goodness with a 16 team NIT tournament that Indiana would not be selected. It could also drag on if Archie and the University mutually part ways. Lots of negotiating. 

I can’t remember for sure, but I was thinking the news broke just as the First Round NCAA games were starting on Thursday

I can’t remember for sure, but I was thinking the news broke just as the First Round NCAA games were starting on Thursday

Yes right at 12.00 noon tip on Thursday

Probably 2 days after the beat down by Georgia tech

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I see them as a team ready to compete but have stopped listening to the same coach who has been there for 7-8 years. He's lost his voice so they need a fresh new voice to take them over the top. As Larry Bird used to say if you haven't won it all in 4-5 years in the NBA you need a new coach because they've tuned you out. That is why Brad is going to step away to take over IU

We've talked a lot about how the IU position is not as attractive as fans think that it is. I agree that it's probably not. But if we can't poach a top coach from a college team, I don't see any way that we're poaching a coach from one of the most storied NBA franchises. Boston is the better job right now, and as much as I personally think Bloomington is a great place, Boston probably provides the better environment for his family too. 

54 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

We have different ideas of "compete," then. They've been making deep playoff runs over the past four years. They've been top 4 seeds the past four years. Jayson Tatum is 23 and Jaylen Brown is 24. The Celtics have them both locked up long-term. Marcus Smart is 26. They haven't completely broken through and made the Finals or won it all yet, but they're right there knocking on the door. While you see their future as bleak, I see it as pretty bright. 

This is a players league. Tatum or Brown won’t be in Boston for long and it will be their decision. 

If Boston wants to settle for ECF L’s each year then what a downfall that organization has suffered. 

15 minutes ago, Treesh said:

This is a players league. Tatum or Brown won’t be in Boston for long and it will be their decision. 

If Boston wants to settle for ECF L’s each year then what a downfall that organization has suffered. 

Is Danny Ainge going to trade one of them? He wouldn’t trade either of them for Kawhi Leonard or Anthony Davis. Now he’s going to trade one or both for lesser players?

Jayson Tatum:

The deal will go into effect for the 2021/22 season, once Tatum’s rookie contract expires. Ryan McDonough of Radio.com tweets that the deal includes a fifth-year player option for the 2025/26 season.

Tatum doesn’t have an option to leave until 2025. He’s a Boston Celtic for the next four seasons after this one. Jaylen Brown’s contract does not contain a player or a team option. He doesn’t have an option to leave until 2024. 

Sure, one or both could demand trades, even though there’s no indication that either want out. But even if they demand trades, Ainge would have to trade them. Given his history of hen it comes to trades, and his willingness to let players walk for nothing, that’s unlikely. 

Look, I get that it’s fun to dream about Brad Stevens being our next head coach. But it’s just that - a dream. We both know it.

Hire Calbert cheaney. Since he's never been a head coach before at least not a major program head coach, he would probably do it for a substantially less money than some of your other big-name coaches. That could help Indiana recoup some of the lost from Miller. Plus he's an Indiana guy who gets a of course. All-time leading scorer

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, hper50 said:

I’ve started checking this thread at the same unhealthy rate as the Fire Crean thread. I’m ready to be disappointed 

You've stolen the words right out of my mouth. I love it. And so true. Did most of us see Kelvin Sampson or Tom Crean as the obvious choices, I sure didn't. And with all the Billy D and Brad Stevens talk even 4 years ago, we will be disappointed again. I mean, we're a football school now right?!

1 hour ago, tortex28 said:

Hire Calbert cheaney. Since he's never been a head coach before at least not a major program head coach, he would probably do it for a substantially less money than some of your other big-name coaches. That could help Indiana recoup some of the lost from Miller. Plus he's an Indiana guy who gets a of course. All-time leading scorer

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I would take CC over Alford. At least Calbert has unknown potential. We've seen everything Stevie can do as a coach and it ain't inspiring. 

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I see them as a team ready to compete but have stopped listening to the same coach who has been there for 7-8 years. He's lost his voice so they need a fresh new voice to take them over the top. As Larry Bird used to say if you haven't won it all in 4-5 years in the NBA you need a new coach because they've tuned you out. That is why Brad is going to step away to take over IU

I log on a few times a day to gather a bold-take or something insane from 007 or Pap. This is a strong take. Most everyone thinking Stevens a pipe dream, but a few people seem to have mild-optimism. I know Stevens isn't just going to talk and head to Bloomington, but our expectations are to be in the tournament every year. The Celtics have higher expectations, and those end in getting a Championship.

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Is Danny Ainge going to trade one of them? He wouldn’t trade either of them for Kawhi Leonard or Anthony Davis. Now he’s going to trade one or both for lesser players?

Jayson Tatum:

The deal will go into effect for the 2021/22 season, once Tatum’s rookie contract expires. Ryan McDonough of Radio.com tweets that the deal includes a fifth-year player option for the 2025/26 season.

Tatum doesn’t have an option to leave until 2025. He’s a Boston Celtic for the next four seasons after this one. Jaylen Brown’s contract does not contain a player or a team option. He doesn’t have an option to leave until 2024. 

Sure, one or both could demand trades, even though there’s no indication that either want out. But even if they demand trades, Ainge would have to trade them. Given his history of hen it comes to trades, and his willingness to let players walk for nothing, that’s unlikely. 

Look, I get that it’s fun to dream about Brad Stevens being our next head coach. But it’s just that - a dream. We both know it.

Considering how Ainge treated IT and can’t attract a single good free agent, he won’t be able to keep Tatum and Brown for long. It won’t be his decision to make win one of them demands a trade publicly. He’s ran the organization into the ground at this point with no options than hopes and dreams. 

They have no cap space in the future, no bench, two stars who only want to score for themselves, they can’t attract key free agents anymore (Kemba went there because of the Max), they are DONE! 

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. 

Each of those cities have fantastic places to live and socialize. Three of them have good/great weather. All of them allow for a coach and his family to go out in public without being stared at.

The only place that I would be interested socially would be Minnesota and Sacramento (tie).  I’ve been to all those places, but I honestly still love Bloomington socially.  We actually have a better arts atmosphere than those places and of course Mother Bears makes a good frozen White Russian.