Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

15 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

The flip side could be that he’s sort of maxed out at Baylor (minus of course any banners) and nothing he does will make basketball more important at that school or in that state that football. He could take on a challenge like Indiana and if it didn’t work out, he still has the remarkable thing he did at Baylor on his resume, and there are a hundred Baylors out there that would welcome him with open arms. 

Yeah, one thing we haven’t spent a lot of time on: IU is a great place to win if you like recognition.

If Drew feels like his current run (last year, this year, next year) is a peak at Baylor but the sort of thing he could make happen more often at IU — competing for a conference title, protected seed, a shot at the whole thing — then that and recognition could be compelling.

Why is Scott Drew being discussed still? After our history of issues with Bob Knight and Kelvin Sampson, Indiana will not hire someone who has even sniffed a bad wind with the NCAA.

He wanted to deport ONE of our own players.

Scott Dolson was here for that moment.

Scott Drew will not be here.

https://www.slamonline.com/college-hs/report-baylor-coach-threatened-to-deport-recruit/

15 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Why is Scott Drew being discussed still? After our history of issues with Bob Knight and Kelvin Sampson, Indiana will not hire someone who has even sniffed a bad wind with the NCAA.

https://www.slamonline.com/college-hs/report-baylor-coach-threatened-to-deport-recruit/

Ehhh....I'm not so sure.  You posted very confidently that Archie will be here another year also which is looking incorrect.  

Scott Drew would be a fantastic hire

1. That was eleven years ago.
  2. Though one must suspend the likely reality to believe this, it can be rationalized by reminding people that it was then-Assistant Coach Morefield, not Drew that was labeled as the culprit.

12 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

2. Though one must suspend the likely reality to believe this, it can be rationalized by reminding people that it was then-Assistant Coach Morefield, not Drew that was labeled as the culprit.

I don't think time matters. Indiana has been set to hire people with clean records in the eye of the NCAA after our history. Archie and Crean were basically school-children in the eyes of the NCAA, no infractions. Scott may be clean and may have not sent that text directly to Hanner, but Scott knows all of the details from the investigation. 

I imagine Scott Drew isn't on Scott Dolson's Christmas card list after the whole ordeal, which ultimately landed Hanner / Peter a suspension over a license plate. 

16 minutes ago, Josh said:

Ehhh....I'm not so sure.  You posted very confidently that Archie will be here another year also which is looking incorrect.  

Scott Drew would be a fantastic hire

That's assuming the financial situation. I'm on the side that he's going to resign on his own after the season now. 

10 minutes ago, Treesh said:

That's assuming the financial situation. I'm on the side that he's going to resign on his own after the season now. 

That's fine to change your stance, i think that shows growth.  I think it also shows that you shouldn't speak in absolutes about our coaching situation.  Scott Drew would be a fantastic hire and Dolson knows he needs to make a fantastic hire

1 minute ago, Josh said:

That's fine to change your stance, i think that shows growth.  I think it also shows that you shouldn't speak in absolutes about our coaching situation.  Scott Drew would be a fantastic hire and Dolson knows he needs to make a fantastic hire

I'm not sold on Scott.

Yeah he's more realistic than Brad Stevens and a couple others. But he's been there for 14 years and has been to the Elite 8 twice. Not bad I guess, sure! He wins and that makes fans happy! But I'm getting CTC vibes from him. 

We all play March Madness here. I'm not sure about your list of teams that always **** the bed in March but Baylor is on that list for me. Stigma treatment I know - maybe that changes if he were hired at Indiana.

But arguing the other side of things - Why would he want to come to this sinking ship? He's winning at Baylor, he has his best recruiting class coming in, they have a brand new arena coming, the Big 12 is a whole lot easier to win than the B1G Ten. 

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

I'm not sold on Scott.

Yeah he's more realistic than Brad Stevens and a couple others. But he's been there for 14 years and has been to the Elite 8 twice. Not bad I guess, sure! He wins and that makes fans happy! But I'm getting CTC vibes from him. 

We all play March Madness here. I'm not sure about your list of teams that always **** the bed in March but Baylor is on that list for me. Stigma treatment I know - maybe that changes if he were hired at Indiana.

But arguing the other side of things - Why would he want to come to this sinking ship? He's winning at Baylor, he has his best recruiting class coming in, they have a brand new arena coming, the Big 12 is a whole lot easier to win than the B1G Ten. 

Mussleman and Drew are both CTC 2.0 to you? Would it be easier to list out who's not Tom Crean in your eyes?

Just now, kreigh8 said:

Mussleman and Drew are both CTC 2.0 to you? Would it be easier to list out who's not Tom Crean in your eyes?

Brad Stevens.

Billy Donavan.

Chris Beard.

:103:

Alright maybe Drew isn't so much CTC but I don't think it's an exciting hire. We'll get back to March yay -- but I wouldn't expect too much out of March under a Drew team.

Mussleman is literally 100% CTC. Go check his Twitter videos from the summer if you don't believe me. LOL

52 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I personally don't think Drew will come for many reasons. You spend 14 years someplace it's hard to pick up and leave. I think he is using this to get a raise. But also if Coach Knight doesn't like you, most likely Scott Dolson doesn't like you. 

13 hours ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Just curious, how did it get so dysfunctional? How did Fred Glass not stabilize the administration?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

That goes back many years of IU not wanting to hire another Bob Knight, then some bad AD's along the way, McRobbie stealing the athletic money, and lots of other stuff. That question needs to be answered over beers and food at a tailgate or Nicks instead of a message board. 

Brad Stevens.

Billy Donavan.

Chris Beard.

:103:

Alright maybe Drew isn't so much CTC but I don't think it's an exciting hire. We'll get back to March yay -- but I wouldn't expect too much out of March under a Drew team.

Mussleman is literally 100% CTC. Go check his Twitter videos from the summer if you don't believe me. LOL

I've said Stevens would be my first call and make him say no, but none of those guys you listed are coming here. And after 5 years of not making the tourney, simply making it to March would be an improvement - and no I don't care about what happened last year, no one made the damn tourney as it didn't happen. I'm not going to watch corny videos of Mussleman, but without seeing them I'd just assume part of that is promoting his program. In that prism - cheesy things are going to happen.

I'm not to keen on Mussleman myself, but knowing his past in the NBA and his experience working with transfers at Nevada that could be an enticing option, especially given the circumstances that will be the 2021-22 college basketball landscape.

Added note: I'd think with the NBA experience he has some chops in the player development department. That for one would be a welcome change from Archie to me. I'm not sure what's going on down in Bloomington, but I'm not seeing a whole lot of players getting better as the season progresses.

1 minute ago, Capt. Crimson said:

I was actually just thinking how worthless flight tracking will be  this time around.. Every coaching option in D1 basketball will be in Indianapolis in 2 weeks. Even if they aren't a D1 basketball coach, they'll still be able to sneak in unnoticed.

Dang, you just burst my bubble, but you are totally correct. 

2 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I've nearly reached the point I don't care who the next coach is as long as we get one.  Then I can be the first one to start the Fire Coach __________ thread!!

Now that sounds like an IU fan. I can think of 3 or 4 people on this board who will be right there with you. 

24 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I personally don't think Drew will come for many reasons. You spend 14 years someplace it's hard to pick up and leave. I think he is using this to get a raise. But also if Coach Knight doesn't like you, most likely Scott Dolson doesn't like you. 

Probably true, but remember RMK himself almost left IU back around 1989...