Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Dolson has a tough decision to make. I remember being in Vegas when I picked up a USA Today paper and read about Fife’s commitment to IU. I believe he was a McDonald’s AA and was pleased to see his commitment. I’m just not sure he has was it takes to be a successful Men’s Basketball HC at IU.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Archie seemed to be more animated on the sidelines at Dayton. I’m not big on the way Crean ran around, but it just seemed like Archie was connected better with his Dayton teams. He Seemed to inject his energy into his players back then. I don’t see that anymore.

Is there a Top 10 out for anyone yet? Mine in no order now at this point...
John Beilein
Thad Matta
Jon Scheyer
Dane Fife
Kenny Payne
Calbert Cheaney
Fred Hoiberg
Scott Drew
Bruce Pearl
Steve Alford
Pearl's buyout is $12M. Doubting that one although I also like him

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

It was difficult to find anyone I felt I'd actually care to hire. 

Now imagine Scott Dolson trying to reach out to possible candidates. LOL

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

OK here are my notes from last night. I like to talk to people on game nights, they seem to have some cocktails and loosen up some. Let me say all of this is hearsay, as I said people drinking and talking so we'll see but it's from people I do trust.

First off the athletic department is down 40 million this year, not sure if that number is correct or not but I do know we are down a lot of money. Some trustees and staff are getting cold feet being down 40 million and then buying out 10 million then paying another coach. All during COVID when you asked people to take pay cuts. But I think this is where both Archie and IU agree to part ways.

But there is a study going on in the athletic dept trying to figure out if it would cost more to keep him than it would buy him out. Attendance, merchandise, concession, donations everything like that.

Feelers have been put out and the interest is not that great. Beilein wants to spend time with family, Matta is he healthy? Current coaches haven't shown much interest.

Swing for the fences, offer Brad 7 million a year. Well, the athletic department is down lots of money, buyout, then pay someone that much. Going to be hard to get trustees, President, and anyone else to agree to that.

Then we come to Dane, from the IU family, can recruit, wouldn't cost an arm and leg, and might have your guy for the next 30 years. 

I think it might be time to start tracking flights.

I know for 100% certainty Beileine would like to Coach again.  I also know if approached by Indiana(Possible he already has been?), he would have a high level of interest.  Does Indiana share that same interest?  I don't know.  Is the money there?  I don't know.  JB thinks he has 5-10 years left in the tank.  Two heart surgeries is a bit concerning, but, he is ready to go, wherever that might be.

4 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I'll always be an IU fan. I'm too damn old to switch now.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Im just upset and being a petulant child. Ignore me half of the time and 100% of the time after another missed NCAA tournament. 

26 minutes ago, VO5 said:

A guy that really intrigues me that I haven’t seen mentioned here much if at all is Micah Shrewsberry. I could get behind him. 

I'd hire him over Fife any day of the week. Comes from the Brad Stevens coaching tree and has NBA + College experience. 

I obviously want Stevens or Beard.

I guess if the big name guys are not interested, I’m going to say

Maybe Fife out of those guys listed.
It’s such a risk with any of them. Drew might be the best coach .
Alford will probably get consideration due to Dolson being in charge.

2 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

I'd hire him over Fife any day of the week. Comes from the Brad Stevens coaching tree and has NBA + College experience. 

But unlike Fife Shrewsbury has never been a head coach ANYWHERE. 

I listed a bunch of 'high-upside' candidates, but for me right now? I'd take Dennis Gates over the whole lot of 'em.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

I listed a bunch of 'high-upside' candidates, but for me right now? I'd take Dennis Gates over the whole lot of 'em.

A career .500 coach out of the Horizon league? Hard pass for me, but I can understand the appeal

21 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

For me?

We interview Fife, Dennis Gates, Shrewsbury, Wes Miller, Dana Ford, and Travis Steele.

One of them will blow the doors off of the interview panel. Hire that one.

Nored doesn't get an interview

1 hour ago, VO5 said:

Tons of boosters and people did not lose money. The buyout is not relevant when it comes to boosters. What is relevant is if they’re willing to spend it. The school is losing money. Big time boosters? Nah 

Imo, the buyout is only an impediment if the administration wants to make it one. It’s not like we need boosters to pony up a $10 million check to hand to Archie the day we fire him.

So a $10.35 million obligation would be an annual $3.45 million hit for the University before any mitigation.  But again, any income earned by Miller during the next three years would be offset against that obligation.  So if hypothetically, Miller returned to his home state and took the Penn State job at a $2 million per year rate, IU’s annual obligation would drop to $1.45 million per year, and $4.35 million in total.  Still not an insignificant number, but obviously less than half of the headline number.  Miller could obviously earn more — a salary like Crean’s $3.2 million at Georgia would nearly wipe out IU’s entire current obligation — and he could obviously earn less. 

Once again, whatever cost IU would ultimately incur to pay a buyout, that amount would be paid out in monthly installments through March 31, 2024. 

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-the-real-cost-of-archie-millers-buyout-would-be-tied-to-his-next-job/

Chances are Archie will get another coaching job after we fired him. Whatever he makes will decrease the amount we have to pay him. And (hopefully) we won’t have Covid issues the next three years and the athletic program will be back to making plenty of money very soon. 

Sounds like BC could be a landing spot for Gates.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

This is BEFORE his two years of extreme success in his first head coaching job. "If I'm not invited to their weddings I'm not doing my job."

From a BIG TIME recruiter who graduated Cal Berkley in three years.

If money is the issue or there just isn’t that much interest in the job . I’m starting to warm up on the idea of 
Micah Shrewsberry. Why not ?? .. young , could relate to kids, connections to the Midwest , worked under Brad Stevens & now Matt painter . According to some has the Penn State job after the year .