Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I wish we had the money to spend that you think we do. I totally disagree but will move on. Nothing is set in stone, maybe you will get your wish for whoever it is that you want

The Juwan Howard move was questioned at the time. 

Howard’s hire “raises all kinds of concerns and question marks,” read one article. Another called it “a huge risk.” A radio host said, “Hiring Juwan Howard is nothing more than a PR stunt and an admission you couldn’t get a quality candidate.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlive.com/wolverines/2021/02/remember-when-michigans-hiring-of-juwan-howard-was-questioned-he-does.html%3foutputType=amp

Scott Dolson gets paid half a million dollars a year to be IU’s athletic director. If he can’t find the money to hire a good coach for his athletic department’s most important program then maybe he should let someone else take over the job. A true blueblood program wouldn’t hire someone unproven because he’s cheap, but maybe the powers in charge are happy being mediocre. 

Hiring a top assistant is for his first HC job is not a new idea.  Both the NBA and the NFL do this.  Would I prefer to have someone with an established winning pedigree at a P5 conference take over, sure, but they all come with risk too.  Current P5 coaches that might come are limited to perhaps Scott Drew.  Former P5 coaches are older, have health questions, liked Italian restaurants for 15 minutes or they are now at a lower level. They all have some risk.  
I am more than fine to go with Fife as I understand who we are now.  I am hopeful though that he can find that veteran coach to be his right hand man though

Wonder if Matta would want that kind of role to test his health before diving back in as a HC?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The Juwan Howard move was questioned at the time. 

Howard’s hire “raises all kinds of concerns and question marks,” read one article. Another called it “a huge risk.” A radio host said, “Hiring Juwan Howard is nothing more than a PR stunt and an admission you couldn’t get a quality candidate.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlive.com/wolverines/2021/02/remember-when-michigans-hiring-of-juwan-howard-was-questioned-he-does.html%3foutputType=amp

Scott Dolson gets paid half a million dollars a year to be IU’s athletic director. If he can’t find the money to hire a good coach for his athletic department’s most important program then maybe he should let someone else take over the job. A true blueblood program wouldn’t hire someone unproven because he’s cheap, but maybe the powers in charge are happy being mediocre. 

WE LOST 40 MILLION THIS YEAR

2 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

well okay. How about playing for Bob knight and then coaching under Izzo? Two hall of famers.

C'mon man. 

I don't think that means much of anything. Juwan just seems to have what it takes. People can say he started with a strong base but right now 4 of 6 top scorers are his dudes. Maybe Fife surprises. Hell I don't know. I hated the Allen hire but it's working out well. Fife supposedly has a good personality and more of than a tree. 

OK here are my notes from last night. I like to talk to people on game nights, they seem to have some cocktails and loosen up some. Let me say all of this is hearsay, as I said people drinking and talking so we'll see but it's from people I do trust.
First off the athletic department is down 40 million this year, not sure if that number is correct or not but I do know we are down a lot of money. Some trustees and staff are getting cold feet being down 40 million and then buying out 10 million then paying another coach. All during COVID when you asked people to take pay cuts. But I think this is where both Archie and IU agree to part ways.
But there is a study going on in the athletic dept trying to figure out if it would cost more to keep him than it would buy him out. Attendance, merchandise, concession, donations everything like that.
Feelers have been put out and the interest is not that great. Beilein wants to spend time with family, Matta is he healthy? Current coaches haven't shown much interest.
Swing for the fences, offer Brad 7 million a year. Well, the athletic department is down lots of money, buyout, then pay someone that much. Going to be hard to get trustees, President, and anyone else to agree to that.
Then we come to Dane, from the IU family, can recruit, wouldn't cost an arm and leg, and might have your guy for the next 30 years. 
I think it might be time to start tracking flights.
I already changed my avatar yesterday to dane cause I know its him

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Maybe even cover up some sexual assaults. Never know what you'll get right? Box of chocolates anyone?

So you care about this stuff if it's a coach you don't want? Just pretend it's a coach you think would do well and take your own advice.....time to move on. 

4 minutes ago, IUCane said:

I'll repeat myself...IF the big $ boosters want to make a serious run at a big name coach they will come up with the $$.  IF they don't then I believe you will see us take a shot on an up and comer.  The mistake we can't make is to pay someone like a Dane Fife a contract like Archie Miller.  IF we are taking a chance we have to have an out to cut bait if it isn't working.  NO reason he would deserve 3mm/yr with a large buyout.

What big boosters? Everyone is hurting from COVID. Cuban has said he will only donate money that will help all students not only student-athletes. People want IU to come up with this money to go offer Brad Stevens a huge contract when IU is hurting everywhere. We are down 40 million, we have a 10 million buyout, then want to pay 7 million for an NBA coach. Now I do agree we are not giving Dane the 3.3 million. Maybe more in the 2 range and save some money. He can get a raise when he proves himself

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

If we hire Fife... The program is done.

Many people are gonna disagree but I agree with you here. He's nowhere near qualified. His recruiting is way overblown. Does he recruit at that level without the name Izzo attached to him? Hell no! No real HC experience to show for it. If we are indeed trying to save money then I know everything I need to know about where this program is headed and I will be fully off the train and will never support this program again. I know that losing my support isn't much but there will be many more like me. 

Id bet my house that Dane Fife wouldn't win here. 

Just now, HoosierTrav said:

Many people are gonna disagree but I agree with you here. He's nowhere near qualified. His recruiting is way overblown. Does he recruit at that level without the name Izzo attached to him? Hell no! No real HC experience to show for it. If we are indeed trying to save money then I know everything I need to know about where this program is headed and I will be fully off the train and will never support this program again. I know that losing my support isn't much but there will be many more like me. 

Id bet my house that Dane Fife wouldn't win here. 

Who is coming here then? This place is a train-wreck. Hiring Fife is about the same risk as higher any other mid-major head coach currently. 

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

What big boosters? Everyone is hurting from COVID. Cuban has said he will only donate money that will help all students not only student-athletes. People want IU to come up with this money to go offer Brad Stevens a huge contract when IU is hurting everywhere. We are down 40 million, we have a 10 million buyout, then want to pay 7 million for an NBA coach. Now I do agree we are not giving Dane the 3.3 million. Maybe more in the 2 range and save some money. He can get a raise when he proves himself

Having a great basketball program helps everyone. Raises everyone's spirits. 

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

WE LOST 40 MILLION THIS YEAR

And they’ll lose a whole lot more than that when the next head coach flops too because they decided to hire an assistant coach with no P5 head coaching experience and an 82-97 record as head coach because they wanted someone cheap. 

The most obvious candidate for this job, here, now, and in the near future, is Dane Fife. He checks a lot of boxes (no, I will not say “double check-plus”).

Aside from the splash names like Stevens, Beard, Drew, et al, Fife is it. We know we aren’t getting interest from those guys and likely not the quick, adequate funding to fire and hire that scenario if they did want to take a chance on IU.

The up-and-coming mid major hire...well, we’re nearing the end of that ride and I don’t think anyone wants to repeat it just yet.

And I just don’t think you can take a middling D-1, “meh”-type name without any significant foundational success that does not have ties to a high-end coach or to the school and expect it to sit well with anyone.

With IU’s high moral stance, a guy like Pearl won’t be considered.

Bringing someone out of hibernation, i.e. Matta? Who knows. Health is a guessing game at times and always without a guarantee.

Or, you’re left with the option of waiting on a lower buyout of a lame duck coach.

If we move now, it’s Fife.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

If Fife were hired, who he has on the bench would be equally as important. I'd like to see him do the same thing Howard did with Martelli, though I don't know how many Martelli's are out there ready to take an assistant coaching position. Maybe the Lansing guy from ISU? I know nothing about him. But I keep hearing that ISU will dread letting him go. 

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

We are the pickiest bunch of fans I've ever seen. I don't want the current coach, I don't want that guy, I will never support IU again if they hire that coach. My goodness

We really are. I've said it many times on here and in person to other folks, we've been beyond SPOILED!

We've won national championships, we've been #1 in the country, we've had amazing shooters and scorers. Times have changed though. CTC said "It's Indiana" back in 2008 or whatever, but let me tell you. "It's Indiana" won't work anymore. We're old news, our facilities are dated, kids don't know and don't care about national championships before their time. 

27 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I don't say bad things about players very often but the way TJD acted last night rubbed me the wrong way. I'm not even positive he was going after the coach, but you never act that way on the sideline. He was acting like an entitled little brat throwing a temper tantrum. 

I said the same thing..he was acting like a middle schooler who wasn't getting playing time. He looks done. I think after last night I'll be shocked if he comes back next year. 

Just now, Treesh said:

Who is coming here then? This place is a train-wreck. Hiring Fife is about the same risk as higher any other mid-major head coach currently. 

If this is the reality, then keep Archie and we can all go find another team to root for. 

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

We really are. I've said it many times on here and in person to other folks, we've been beyond SPOILED!

We've won national championships, we've been #1 in the country, we've had amazing shooters and scorers. Times have changed though. CTC said "It's Indiana" back in 2008 or whatever, but let me tell you. "It's Indiana" won't work anymore. We're old news, our facilities are dated, kids don't know and don't care about national championships before their time. 

IU has made it past the sweet 16 once in my lifetime and that was when I was 7 years old. But tell me more about how I’ve been “spoiled” by our 4 tournament appearances in the past 13 years.