Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

5 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Can he make the decision himself if he wants? Who’s making the decision with him? Haha sorry for being so blunt

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

He is making this decision along with at least one trustee, 7-10 boosters, some very high-up department people, and the president. Now when I say boosters, they're not meeting with him weekly, they're not calling him or overstepping what he does. They will give their opinion when asked. Fred made the last decision pretty much by himself and the one trustee. 

24 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

And before Arch was ever thought of for the coaching gig, what was the problem then?

I would say:

-put up with Knight’s antics for too long, then

-went with Davis, the guy who’d keep the program from splintering players a thousand directions, who

-overperformed and got an extension, but

-never lived up to the promise some saw.

-then, hired a good coach with known NCAA issues and suffered the inevitable consequences (Sampson), so

-reacted strongly against that and set the program back again, so

-had a limited hiring pool and chose a good coach who did alright but was inconsistent. 

-went back to the hiring pool and grabbed a guy who was well-regarded but (IMHO) had a reputation built on less than other candidates (e.g. Holtmann had never been as far in the tourney but had succeeded in a tougher conference with better overall results based on every metric except tournament win streaks — perhaps I was too flippant, as @Chris007 pointed out, but my point that the hire was based on mostly potential, I stand by).

(I know the “Holtmann wouldn’t have come” talking post, which may be true, I’m just saying I think it’s 1) correct that at the time Archie was the flashier name in the hiring market based on media/rep, but also 2) one of the hiring market flaws is overemphasis on tournament success. Sometimes that pays off, but both now and at the time I’d take a coach who consistently builds strong teams over a coach with one nice tournament run.)

Just now, Chris007 said:

He is making this decision along with at least one trustee, 7-10 boosters, some very high-up department people, and the president. Now when I say boosters, they're not meeting with him weekly, they're not calling him or overstepping what he does. They will give their opinion when asked. Fred made the last decision pretty much by himself and the one trustee. 

I would much rather have him do his job and make the decision himself.  Sure bounce ideas off people.  But honestly, wtf do the boosters and trustees know about Basketball.  May as well just use the peanut gallery here at BTB.  

1 minute ago, Golfman25 said:

I would much rather have him do his job and make the decision himself.  Sure bounce ideas off people.  But honestly, wtf do the boosters and trustees know about Basketball.  May as well just use the peanut gallery here at BTB.  

The decision to keep or dismiss Archie, not the new coach. He can't make a 10 million decision when the department doesn't have any money.

Just now, Chris007 said:

The decision to keep or dismiss Archie, not the new coach. He can't make a 10 million decision when the department doesn't have any money.

Baloney.  He's in charge.  He should act like it.  The fire then hire decisions are linked.  If he needs to call in some boosters to fund the buyout, then do it.  But he shouldn't be held hostage by them and required to pick "their guy."  If they then don't want to donate, move on down the list. You get too many opinions and you'll continue down the same BS path we have been on.  

Just now, Golfman25 said:

Baloney.  He's in charge.  He should act like it.  The fire then hire decisions are linked.  If he needs to call in some boosters to fund the buyout, then do it.  But he shouldn't be held hostage by them and required to pick "their guy."  If they then don't want to donate, move on down the list. You get too many opinions and you'll continue down the same BS path we have been on.  

Either I'm doing a terrible job of describing it or you might not be getting it. Boosters will have no say in who the next coach is. Scott will decide that along with whoever he wants to get advice from. He will call on some people when it comes to firing someone with a buyout. They might give their opinion but as we see on here, lots of people have no idea what they're talking about. That's the same for rich people, maybe even more so. 

14 minutes ago, lillurk said:

I would say:

-put up with Knight’s antics for too long, then

-went with Davis, the guy who’d keep the program from splintering players a thousand directions, who

-overperformed and got an extension, but

-never lived up to the promise some saw.

-then, hired a good coach with known NCAA issues and suffered the inevitable consequences (Sampson), so

-reacted strongly against that and set the program back again, so

-had a limited hiring pool and chose a good coach who did alright but was inconsistent. 

-went back to the hiring pool and grabbed a guy who was well-regarded but (IMHO) had a reputation built on less than other candidates (e.g. Holtmann had never been as far in the tourney but had succeeded in a tougher conference with better overall results based on every metric except tournament win streaks — perhaps I was too flippant, as @Chris007 pointed out, but my point that the hire was based on mostly potential, I stand by).

(I know the “Holtmann wouldn’t have come” talking post, which may be true, I’m just saying I think it’s 1) correct that at the time Archie was the flashier name in the hiring market based on media/rep, but also 2) one of the hiring market flaws is overemphasis on tournament success. Sometimes that pays off, but both now and at the time I’d take a coach who consistently builds strong teams over a coach with one nice tournament run.)

I may be wrong here but wasn't Butler in the Horizon then? The A10 and Horizon were about the same. But in the grand scheme, it really doesn't matter but I get what you're saying. 

Just now, Chris007 said:

I may be wrong here but wasn't Butler in the Horizon then? The A10 and Horizon were about the same. But in the grand scheme, it really doesn't matter but I get what you're saying. 

Big East, which is > A10 > the old Horizon

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I'm starting to get on that boat myself with Fife. An IU guy, knows the culture, can recruit, and would be cheap. Scott is looking for the coach for the next 25 years

I’m starting to like the idea of Fife more as well.  I’ve advocated for Beilein so I might sound all over the place in this thread, but if we are going on the young end of the age spectrum I’d definitely prefer Fife over any other up and comer.  Being a key part of the staff for so many good teams, MSU's deep tournament runs, knowledge of the Big Ten landscape, and most of all his ability as a recruiter makes him a legitimately viable candidate in addition to the obvious plus of being an alum.  Fife was listed as the lead recruiter for Jaren Jackson Jr, Aaron Henry, and Malik Hall, and was co-lead for Matt McQuaid, Josh Langford, Max Christie, and several other top-100 players.  He seems to be no stranger to these lists on 247 and not just for the 2021 cycle.

image.png.44cdcc0f1e0aeebc8ddb2c7a8a968491.png

I’m starting to like the idea of Fife more as well.  I’ve advocated for Beilein so I might sound all over the place in this thread, but if we are going on the young end of the age spectrum I’d definitely prefer Fife over any other up and comer.  Being a key part of the staff for so many good teams, MSU's deep tournament runs, knowledge of the Big Ten landscape, and most of all his ability as a recruiter makes him a legitimately viable candidate in addition to the obvious plus of being an alum.  Fife was listed as the lead recruiter for Jaren Jackson Jr, Aaron Henry, and Malik Hall, and was co-lead for Matt McQuaid, Josh Langford, Max Christie, and several other top-100 players.  He seems to be no stranger to these lists on 247 and not just for the 2021 cycle.
image.png.44cdcc0f1e0aeebc8ddb2c7a8a968491.png

The more and more coaches are getting knocked off due to age, buyout, extensions etc. I’m more and more open to Fife. I don’t think it’ll be a sexy hire from a National standpoint but clearly he’s recruiting well, I think the players would really relate to him, and I don’t think he would leave the position he is on to succeed Izzo if he truly didn’t believe he could handle it and succeed.

Fife hire wouldn’t make me jump through the roof, but there are very few coaches at this point that would and none of them seem overly realistic. But much like a weatherman, I’ve been wrong often.

8 minutes ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

The more and more coaches are getting knocked off due to age, buyout, extensions etc. I’m more and more open to Fife. I don’t think it’ll be a sexy hire from a National standpoint but clearly he’s recruiting well, I think the players would really relate to him, and I don’t think he would leave the position he is on to succeed Izzo if he truly didn’t believe he could handle it and succeed.

Fife hire wouldn’t make me jump through the roof, but there are very few coaches at this point that would and none of them seem overly realistic. But much like a weatherman, I’ve been wrong often.

How much would Izzo have to say about Fife coming here. If he is indeed the heir apparent at MSU, would he even want to take on our mess. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember Coach Knight discouraging assistants from taking some jobs. Would Izzo want Fife at Indiana competing against him.

How much would Izzo have to say about Fife coming here. If he is indeed the heir apparent at MSU, would he even want to take on our mess. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember Coach Knight discouraging assistants from taking some jobs. Would Izzo want Fife at Indiana competing against him.

I’m sure he wouldn’t want him to leave, I also wouldn’t be surprised if there have been some kind of discussions between the two on his future. But, knowing many coaches in the business, I also think Izzo would encourage him to take an opportunity to be a HC whether it mean facing each other or not.

If you could pair Fife with a seasoned veteran like Michigan did with Howard and Martelli that would be great.  Not necessarily an old IU fella but someone with a ton of NCAA experience. Then add a great recruiter then you have something interesting. 

Not my top choice but I would prefer to go this route vs the mid major up and comer 

I thought about this all day and have questions for some posters on dane fife. Some say if we hire him it proves we are not serious. I have also seen someone say he is next in line at msu. If you believe there is a chance msu would hire him after izzo then you should want him at iu imo. I personally doubt msu would give him the job. Anybody who has thoughts or posted these things earlier in the thread I would like to hear opinions on that

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

I thought about this all day and have questions for some posters on dane fife. Some say if we hire him it proves we are not serious. I have also seen someone say he is next in line at msu. If you believe there is a chance msu would hire him after izzo then you should want him at iu imo. I personally doubt msu would give him the job. Anybody who has thoughts or posted these things earlier in the thread I would like to hear opinions on that

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That is a fair point.  Of course they aren’t a blue blood like... er 

7 hours ago, Treesh said:

I can't get behind a guy who was on a downward trend at O$U and hasn't sniffed a basketball in FOUR YEARS.

Kids don't remember him, his recruiting was already on the fritz. 

No thanks. 

Listen, I ain't interested in talkin' defense here and I don't have a hair of a notion why we hired someone that's been in the water for the last 10 years.  Now the main point here is, we don't get Jimmy Chitwood back playin' ball, we don't have a prayer!

5 minutes ago, hper50 said:

Listen, I ain't interested in talkin' defense here and I don't have a hair of a notion why we hired someone that's been in the water for the last 10 years.  Now the main point here is, we don't get Jimmy Chitwood back playin' ball, we don't have a prayer!

It would be nice if we could get TJD back to playin' ball!