Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

16 minutes ago, iubhounds2 said:

I remember the reaction of the ISU fans when Schertz was hired. They wanted a bigger name and a coach with D1 experience. They were not happy campers with that hire. Who knows what he could do at IU. Not all successful coaches are made for big time schools in a tiny fish bowl. 

Like with just about any hire, there were a lot of different opinions among the fanbase. I know plenty of ISU fans that were fired up to try something new with an elite D2 coach, me among them. Really the only people I knew that were upset about the hire were Lansing fans that didn't think he deserved to get canned.

1 hour ago, iubhounds2 said:

I remember the reaction of the ISU fans when Schertz was hired. They wanted a bigger name and a coach with D1 experience. They were not happy campers with that hire. Who knows what he could do at IU. Not all successful coaches are made for big time schools in a tiny fish bowl. 

Maybe, partially true.  (many people liked Greg Lansing/nice guy).  However, there were many people on board with Josh Shertz hire.  And of course you had naysayers….. think most were interested, curious, and hopeful….especially those who followed the program which was lacking….(kind of comparable to IU Ladies basketball program a decade ago 10 years ago).

At any rate given the state of Indiana State basketball at the time and looking at Josh Shertz credentials 3 or 4 years ago….(before current ISU success) that was an excellent hire for Indiana State. ( maybe, with a little risk but at that point in time ISU didn’t have much to lose and a lot to gain which currently they have gained a bunch…community, campus, and the program itself beyond wins and losses.

2 hours ago, Demo said:

Lloyd always makes me laugh. Can you imagine the reaction around these parts in ‘21 if Dolson had rolled out a 43 yo career Assistant from the WCC whose primary schtick was International talent acquisition? 

I perused back through some of the Woody thread from when he was hired. I can’t imagine Lloyd being much worse than that. I think most people, myself included, found more optimism as time went on because we’re fans at heart. But there wasn’t much enthusiasm for the hire as announced .  

A hire like Lloyd used to be more common. Now it seems guys would rather have their own programs at lower levels and work their way up. But guys like Izzo, Crean, and Williams were all hires at basketball schools straight from being a top assistant.  My guess is it’s harder to get influential alumni and BoT members on board with such a hire than the actual fans.