Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:

There aren’t that many instances of a coach leaving a P5 program at which he was currently successful unless

• he has historical or personal ties to the destination 
  • the NCAA is about to bring the hammer down

IDK. Seems like the other "blue bloods" have better luck for whatever reason. I can't buy that it's luck.

2 minutes ago, Southside said:

Yup, Oat's rise is pretty impressive. 3 MAC tourney championships in 4 years at Buf, and 1 SEC championship and S16 in two years (really only one year since last year was canceled).

Oats might not leave but I think he is the homerun and while not a popular stance, even more so than Stevens

Just now, MikeRoberts said:

Oats might not leave but I think he is the homerun and while not a popular stance, even more so than Stevens

I'd take Stevens easily over Oats, but I'd be pretty happy with Oats.

He's only making 2.4. At minimum, he's going to get a raise.

1 minute ago, Southside said:

IDK. Seems like the other "blue bloods" have better luck for whatever reason. I can't buy that it's luck.

They have better coaching trees. We don’t have a Roy Williams or a Bill Self chomping at the bit to come home. Duke is in a similar spot. All of their former players have flamed out as college coaches and they will be in a bind when K retires.

3 hours ago, Southside said:

And RMK is still worshipped. Well, except by the woke, holier than thou crowd.

I agree RMK's situation started them on their path. RMK ran a clean program, and his kids went to class though. RMK did have his own brand of discipline though when the kids goofed up. But so did most good coaches back then. He ended up being just too old school and behind in the times in some aspects. The admin just wanted to make sure they got someone "nice" and PC.

And I'm all for running a clean program and following the rules. But I also don't have a problem with ones that push the envelop so long as they are not coloring too far outside the lines.

At least we have good women's BB, and football now.. oh the irony.

You make additional good points, Southside and I agree and personally wouldn’t mind operating in the gray (truthfully all these kids should be getting paid anyway — just my opinion and respect others seeing it differently). 

You mention Knight’s discipline and I think it’s been clear OFF THE COURT DISCIPLINE has been sorely lacking largely since Knight’s departure.

We all have our stories — whether it’s girls or parties, etc. Not saying every player who has come through in the last 20 years is guilty. Far from it. And I don’t blame the players. They are kids wanting to enjoy their college experience. 

Just saying we need a coach who can not only get these guys to play tough D and make open shots, we also need a coach who can keep these “campus rockstars” focused on basketball. 

Not an easy task in Bloomington, IN.

1 hour ago, Its Always Sunny at IU said:

Oats would reboot the IU program in the best way possible with his personality and style of play. Just a complete home run. Do the buyout and offer a Calipari style contract and it can happen. That's not likely though. 

Yes. I’d go after Oats with whatever the offer was to Stevens. MAKE HIM SAY NO. 

The personality. The style of play. Lock him up right now with a big deal before he ends up in the NBA and never looks back.

Said it before. I’d be even more excited about him then Stevens right now.

I want to believe this is possible!!!

45 minutes ago, CrossboneIU22 said:

If we can't have Stevens which sure seems like the case, then I would be all for this.  Beilein is #3 for me behind Stevens and Oats but add Fife in the mix to take over and I'll take it

So when you say rumor is this like all the discussions on here or from someone with some degree of connection 

1 hour ago, Scott_b said:

A fair assessment. Might I suggest a period between the T and W in your screen name? Just a thought.

Admittedly, Christian didn’t even come to mind when I read his username. I was taken aback. Then, I remembered the wat shot. But, then I quickly remembered it was Christian and not Trendon. It was then I considered the chances he might never have meant to reference that particular shot from Indiana lore.