Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

2 minutes ago, jmsgws said:

There is a big difference between being productive, and being able to handle the rigors of a college BB season.  A coach gets what 4 - 6 weeks off per year?  Sure the season is only 7 months long, but it is a brutal 7 months.  Not to mention the stress and headaches of the off season.  

My Dad was a practicing physician until he retired at age 82.  We had lots of talks over the years, and was the first to admit that his productivity started going down about age 60.  When he retired he could still handle seeing 30-40 patients a day, but he was a small town doctor.  It was the working all day, then getting the phone calls at 2:00 am that finally got to him.  Well that and having to do everything on a computer.  :)

I think we can all agree that we want more than productive.  Crean was productive,  Miller was productive.  That didn't help us much.  The only concern I have with Beilein is that we know we will be doing another coaching sooner rather than later, and I think we can all agree that a coaching carousel is not a good thing. 

The reason I like the Beilien hire is to avoid the coaching carousel. The names being tossed around haven't accomplished what he has IMO.   I think most of these guys are a gamble.  It would be great if we could find a younger guy, willing to stay and build the program.  I just don't think we'll find someone without some baggage, and that seems to be a big deal to many fans.

I guess my view of age is having a family business with not only the rigors of running a company with over 100 employees, but seeing the owners still work in the field, doing extremely difficult physical jobs that many younger guys couldn't or wouldn't do.  When you come from a farmer background, hard work is a given until you just can't move anymore, usually in the upper80's.  The funny thing is, these guys are healthier and seem to be happier than most people I know.  I'm just hoping we choose a proven winner really.

7 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Indiana operates at a roughly $13 million surplus while Alabama operates at a loss of $20 million.  Alabama may make more but they lose money every year based on what you have there.  Indiana has about $13 million a year (in a normal year) to play with while Alabama would be digging a bigger hole with a larger basketball contract.  So Indiana could double the salary of our basketball coach and still have an $9+ million to play with.

Also, if Dolson is smart, he is going to make sure he locks up Moren.  She is building something here I think and we need to make sure we keep her here.  She deserves a bit of a raise (and I don't base that on one tournament run, she is on the type of trajectory you hope for when you hire a coach.)

45 minutes ago, TwatShot said:

Long time lurker first time poster.

I've been reading these posts since AM was canned and the delusion is rampant.

Here is my take:

Dolson has Beilein lined up as a plan b.  The donors were fine with Beilein and that's why they were willing to pay the buyout.  But they still encouraged SD to go after bigger targets (BS, Muss, Scott "Build The Wall" Drew).  BS is a no.  We are now just waiting for Muss and Drew to get back to us.  We gave them the courtesy of finishing their respective tourney runs to give us an answer.

At best it's Muss or Drew. At worst it's Beilein.

My sources: Logic and reason.

Switch that to Oats or Muss and that's where I sit too.  Logic is your friend.

6 minutes ago, jumpshot53 said:

The reason I like the Beilien hire is to avoid the coaching carousel.

I agree with most of what you say except this. I just think hiring Beilein insures that we will be looking for a coach sooner rather than later.  If he were 60, he would be right at the top of my list.  

8 minutes ago, jumpshot53 said:

The reason I like the Beilien hire is to avoid the coaching carousel. The names being tossed around haven't accomplished what he has IMO.   I think most of these guys are a gamble.  It would be great if we could find a younger guy, willing to stay and build the program.  I just don't think we'll find someone without some baggage, and that seems to be a big deal to many fans.

I guess my view of age is having a family business with not only the rigors of running a company with over 100 employees, but seeing the owners still work in the field, doing extremely difficult physical jobs that many younger guys couldn't or wouldn't do.  When you come from a farmer background, hard work is a given until you just can't move anymore, usually in the upper80's.  The funny thing is, these guys are healthier and seem to be happier than most people I know.  I'm just hoping we choose a proven winner really.

Hiring a 68 year old would avoid the coaching carousel? 

49 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

image.thumb.png.f3e652c54b41f53f330d12522cbd7e4a.pngimage.thumb.png.45b8f68cc7e13c46ad9f7607364f7d71.pngimage.thumb.png.cf376e63766c442083e4b35a6525badb.pngimage.thumb.png.0ac00d97aeaf78a26860811119a39b47.png

Bama works on a completely different scale than IU. IU will not get Oats, because Bama fails to match any offer. That is 100% not going to happen.

The couching staff budget was $65M in 2019, 50% more than IU. Do you think they blink about going up to $68M?

Also, digging more into those numbers, Indiana really lags in ticket sales and whatever the "other" category covers.  However, we excel in contributions.  My guess is that the ticket sales is almost completely attributable to football.  If Allen keeps on the trajectory we are all hoping, I would expect ticket sales to increase.  Additionally, if that occurs and we get a good basketball program up and running, I would expect to see ticket sales impacted minimally (we could charge a little more and people would be willing to pay) and if both programs are humming along, contributions should be positively impacted as well.

I would rather be in Alabama's position from a revenue generation standpoint, but from an accounting standpoint, Indiana was a $30 million per year better operation than Alabama.  This was in a year where IU missed the NCAA tournament and went to the Gator Bowl and Alabama played for a football national championship and went to the NIT.

It just feels to me like Indiana has more room to grow revenue while not needing to increase expenses much.  Alabama seems to be close to maxing their revenue and still operates at a fairly large net loss.

2 hours ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

Pure speculation and rumor o heard from someone today. Not sure I believe it, but how would we feel with Belein and Fife as the waiting position.

Again I don’t know if I believe that but I would love that scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we can't have Stevens which sure seems like the case, then I would be all for this.  Beilein is #3 for me behind Stevens and Oats but add Fife in the mix to take over and I'll take it

Just curious- where does this search rank as far as the past ones? If I remember right four years ago it was quiet. Many of the media suspected Alford until him saying he wasn't coming to IU. Donovan was the pipe dream. Archie wasn't really a surprise as he was a top 5 guy for most. In 2008 Crean was up there after Bennett turned the job down. 

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

Drew won’t be able to recruit Indiana Elite bc of burnt bridges. Not a good situation for a IU head coach. 

It’s 1 AAU program and honestly if I was a player  and my AAU coach wouldn’t let me go to IU if I wanted to I would be pissed or tell them to F off. 

Just now, MikeRoberts said:

It’s 1 AAU program and honestly if I was a player  and my AAU coach wouldn’t let me go to IU if I wanted to I would be pissed or tell them to F off. 

Agree with this. I’m no expert on Indiana AAU ball but if they can determine who IU hires, something is off. Not saying they have no influence, but damn. 

2 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

It’s not like the AAU coach could actually stop them from coming to IU. They might talk bad about IU, but if Drew was taking IU to conference championships and deep tournament runs they’re not going to be able to keep kids away. I think the AAU stuff is really overblown, personally. 

6 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

Hiring a 68 year old would avoid the coaching carousel? 

Hiring a 68 year old who WILL win, will avoid the carousel.  If he stayed until he was 75, like a Boeheim, Coach K, etc are right now,  then that would make IU a very attractive job for the next coach.  Right now, apparently we're considered a lateral move, we're hoping someone chooses us, and who is to say that our next coach (young or old) will last 10 years.  The names we are all talking about are a gamble right now.  

Just now, jumpshot53 said:

Hiring a 68 year old who WILL win, will avoid the carousel.  If he stayed until he was 75, like a Boeheim, Coach K, etc are right now,  then that would make IU a very attractive job for the next coach.  Right now, apparently we're considered a lateral move, we're hoping someone chooses us, and who is to say that our next coach (young or old) will last 10 years.  The names we are all talking about are a gamble right now.  

Yup, a lateral move, that likely pays very well. And we still don't seem to be able to lock down any of our top tier guys from non-blue blood programs... 

33 minutes ago, Southside said:

Bama has always been FB first, but the SEC in general is starting to take BB more seriously now that KY is vulnerable. Also, Bama is likely preparing for the days post-Saban, and know they need to pay a bit more attention to BB. Bama has some huge boosters too, so it's not like they don't have money to compete in both FB and BB donor stuff.

Tks, Looks to me like there sure targeted a great coach for their first up and comer! 

Would love for us to somehow get him.

Edited by ronzo4IU

7 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Just curious- where does this search rank as far as the past ones? If I remember right four years ago it was quiet. Many of the media suspected Alford until him saying he wasn't coming to IU. Donovan was the pipe dream. Archie wasn't really a surprise as he was a top 5 guy for most. In 2008 Crean was up there after Bennett turned the job down. 

There were a lot more leaks. A lot of people wanted Crean when we hired Sampson. I remember back when RMK was fired. I discovered Peegs back then because I just had to know. Everyone was just sure that Pitino was coming. He was the BS of that search. When we hired Crean, people were just absolutely sure that Izzo was unhappy at MSU and ready to come to Bloomington. We’re nothing if not consistent in our delusions.

I’ve watched video interviews of Mike Lewis and I would not want him as a head coach.
He seems to have a similar personality as CAM.  
He might be OK for a small school somewhere but not here IMO.

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:

There were a lot more leaks. A lot of people wanted Crean when we hired Sampson. I remember back when RMK was fired. I discovered Peegs back then because I just had to know. Everyone was just sure that Pitino was coming. He was the BS of that search. When we hired Crean, people were just absolutely sure that Izzo was unhappy at MSU and ready to come to Bloomington. We’re nothing if not consistent in our delusions.

Well, there was a time when IU was a can’t turn down destination. We could have had Calipari, Pitino etc. IU has killed itself with internal BS and making poor hires

5 minutes ago, Southside said:

Yup, a lateral move, that likely pays very well. And we still don't seem to be able to lock down any of our top tier guys from non-blue blood programs... 

There aren’t that many instances of a coach leaving a P5 program at which he was currently successful unless

• he has historical or personal ties to the destination 
  • the NCAA is about to bring the hammer down

4 minutes ago, ronzo4IU said:

Tks, Looks to me like there sure targeted a great coach for their first up and comer! 

Would love for us to somehow get him.

Yup, Oat's rise is pretty impressive. 3 MAC tourney championships in 4 years at Buf, and 1 SEC championship and S16 in two years (really only one year since last year was canceled).