Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

15 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

But they can’t buyout Alabama if Bama opens up their checkbook and matches us.

And they most certainly would do just that.

Wouldn't Ohio St. have done the same thing for Holtmann?

14 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

But they can’t buyout Alabama if Bama opens up their checkbook and matches us.

And they most certainly would do just that.

I don't think Oats will leave a good situation. But if we are talking just throwing piles of cash, doing the buyout then making Oats one of the highest paid coaches in the game Bama won't match that because they can't. I'm not sure any athletic department can afford both coaches at the top of the pay list as most athletic departments barely break even. And Bama already spends a ton on football....obviously worth every penny as Alabama football is the king. It's not going to happen, but there is a price that Alabama will not match for Oats. 

13 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

His buyout drops from $5M to $4M for in conference and from $2.5M to $2M for  out of conference April 1st.

You are correct. I read that info wrong in a tweet. My bad. Regardless -- no buyout for Shaka. UT alums are loaded. Beard's buyout only drops by $1M in a few days. I'm surprised he's not in Austin yet -- unless he doesn't want that (or wants to come to Bloomington!). 

2 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Pun intended?

Oats would reboot the IU program in the best way possible with his personality and style of play. Just a complete home run. Do the buyout and offer a Calipari style contract and it can happen. That's not likely though. 

12 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

Maybe so, but in that case, if the ethics are out the window, then you could do much better than Enfield. Might as well go full Pitino at that point.

Yeah, not a big Enfield fan either. His recruiting success at SC has been tied to hiring family of players. 

Maybe Drew can mend some fences. Hire a IE guy as an assistant or something to repair that relationship. 

I don’t think football powers are going to spend big on basketball coaches. That money is better spent on football related issues. 

Bama may gladly take IU’s 12.5 mil and turn around and go get Chris Beard and pocket the difference to go to Saban’s recruiting budget. 

3 minutes ago, Its Always Sunny at IU said:

I don't think Oats will leave a good situation. But if we are talking just throwing piles of cash, doing the buyout then making Oats one of the highest paid coaches in the game Bama won't match that because they can't. I'm not sure any athletic department can afford both coaches at the top of the pay list as most athletic departments barely break even. And Bama already spends a ton on football....obviously worth every penny as Alabama football is the king. It's not going to happen, but there is a price that Alabama will not match for Oats. 

image.thumb.png.f3e652c54b41f53f330d12522cbd7e4a.pngimage.thumb.png.45b8f68cc7e13c46ad9f7607364f7d71.pngimage.thumb.png.cf376e63766c442083e4b35a6525badb.pngimage.thumb.png.0ac00d97aeaf78a26860811119a39b47.png

Bama works on a completely different scale than IU. IU will not get Oats, because Bama fails to match any offer. That is 100% not going to happen.

The couching staff budget was $65M in 2019, 50% more than IU. Do you think they blink about going up to $68M?

11 minutes ago, Its Always Sunny at IU said:

This is a good point I hadn't really thought of. But I suppose this is also where booster money comes in. If boosters are picking up the tab on the coach's salary, I'm sure Bama will match the offer. That said, I don't understand NOT pursuing top coaches just b/c there is a good chance their current school tries to keep them. So.....make them do it. Nate Oats has no ties whatsoever to Alabama or the south in general. Sure he can have a ton of success there, and basketball can be important there. But it will always be overshadowed by football. He may get a matched offered from Bama but still want to get back to the midwest and be at a basketball school. Maybe we miss, but I say we have to take a swing. 

12 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

You are correct. I read that info wrong in a tweet. My bad. Regardless -- no buyout for Shaka. UT alums are loaded. Beard's buyout only drops by $1M in a few days. I'm surprised he's not in Austin yet -- unless he doesn't want that (or wants to come to Bloomington!). 

I imagine he and UT are like high school sweethearts coming off their first marriages just waiting on the prices to go down on the plane tickets to hawaii in 4 days. There is no doubt about either ones intentions.

I find it a bit strange that with all these basketball coach openings,  no one has hired Beilien.  When we first fired Archie, I scanned many fan sites and nearly everyone was saying we would probably hire Beilien.  Kentucky fans were really sure it would be Beilien, just like fans from most of the BIG schools.  Maybe we did hire him...lol.. and that's why it's so quiet.

I expected to hear someone hired him.  He is the most accomplished coach out there at a high major program.  

BTW, about his age. People can be productive way past 68,  look at Sister Jean.  I'm not saying she is productive now at 101,  but , she was probably doing well into her 90's.  I know many people still doing quite well at almost 80.  Beilien's age isn't really a factor.

47 minutes ago, Nonymouse said:

Things are quiet. I’m confident Brad and Thad are out. Beyond that, I’m really not sure where things stand now.  Going to try to squeeze for some info today, but not hopeful I’ll get anything new. 

What does everyone think of Andy Enfield? 

This is Enfield's first top-45 season. He's 9-10 against UCLA. He hasn't won a conference title outside of the tournament at FGCU. He's missed the tournament four out of the seven tournaments at USC. In Los Angeles, there is more talent than just about anywhere. Hiring Enfield would be a knee-jerk reaction, in my opinion.

25 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

image.thumb.png.f3e652c54b41f53f330d12522cbd7e4a.pngimage.thumb.png.45b8f68cc7e13c46ad9f7607364f7d71.pngimage.thumb.png.cf376e63766c442083e4b35a6525badb.pngimage.thumb.png.0ac00d97aeaf78a26860811119a39b47.png

Bama works on a completely different scale than IU. IU will not get Oats, because Bama fails to match any offer. That is 100% not going to happen.

The couching staff budget was $65M in 2019, 50% more than IU. Do you think they blink about going up to $68M?

I can assume this is all coaches/staff across all sports right? I'd bet the majority of that overall difference is in our respective football coaching/staff salaries. I'd imagine Bama will match any offer. It would have to come down to something other than money (i.e. midwest ties? wanting to be at a basketball school?), as mentioned in my other post. 

15 minutes ago, jumpshot53 said:

BTW, about his age. People can be productive way past 68,  look at Sister Jean.  I'm not saying she is productive now at 101,  but , she was probably doing well into her 90's.  I know many people still doing quite well at almost 80.  Beilien's age isn't really a factor.

There is a big difference between being productive, and being able to handle the rigors of a college BB season.  A coach gets what 4 - 6 weeks off per year?  Sure the season is only 7 months long, but it is a brutal 7 months.  Not to mention the stress and headaches of the off season.  

My Dad was a practicing physician until he retired at age 82.  We had lots of talks over the years, and was the first to admit that his productivity started going down about age 60.  When he retired he could still handle seeing 30-40 patients a day, but he was a small town doctor.  It was the working all day, then getting the phone calls at 2:00 am that finally got to him.  Well that and having to do everything on a computer.  :)

I think we can all agree that we want more than productive.  Crean was productive,  Miller was productive.  That didn't help us much.  The only concern I have with Beilein is that we know we will be doing another coaching sooner rather than later, and I think we can all agree that a coaching carousel is not a good thing. 

3 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

I can assume this is all coaches/staff across all sports right? I'd bet the majority of that overall difference is in our respective football coaching/staff salaries. I'd imagine Bama will match any offer. It would have to come down to something other than money (i.e. midwest ties? wanting to be at a basketball school?), as mentioned in my other post. 

I can’t help but wonder why Alabama hasn’t spent this kind of money on their basketball program before? Does their basketball arena have sell out crowds etc...I literally know nothing about Alabama basketball.

1 minute ago, ronzo4IU said:

I can’t help but wonder why Alabama hasn’t spent this kind of money on their basketball program before? Does their basketball arena have sell out crowds etc...I literally know nothing about Alabama basketball.

I don't know the answer to that. But I've lived in the south for 14 years now and I'm pretty confident saying that spring football practice will be as much of a topic on local sports radio this week in Alabama as the basketball team playing in the sweet 16 and possibly elite 8. 

35 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

Indiana operates at a roughly $13 million surplus while Alabama operates at a loss of $20 million.  Alabama may make more but they lose money every year based on what you have there.  Indiana has about $13 million a year (in a normal year) to play with while Alabama would be digging a bigger hole with a larger basketball contract.  So Indiana could double the salary of our basketball coach and still have an $9+ million to play with.

2 minutes ago, ronzo4IU said:

Bama has always been FB first, but the SEC in general is starting to take BB more seriously now that KY is vulnerable. Also, Bama is likely preparing for the days post-Saban, and know they need to pay a bit more attention to BB. Bama has some huge boosters too, so it's not like they don't have money to compete in both FB and BB donor stuff.

30 minutes ago, Scott_b said:

A fair assessment. Might I suggest a period between the T and W in your screen name? Just a thought.

I gave a 'like' primarily because of the username...