Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

45 minutes ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

Pure speculation and rumor o heard from someone today. Not sure I believe it, but how would we feel with Belein and Fife as the waiting position.

Again I don’t know if I believe that but I would love that scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hiring a coach, AND his head coach-in-waiting is not an ideal scenario.  It could get all kinds of tricky and outright awkward.

What happens if Beilein goes to consecutive Final Fours after his 5th year, but wants to keep coaching and chase a title?  We all think he's only got maybe 5 years left, but what if he thinks he can do twice that?  Fife wouldn't want to wait very long to take over.

Alternatively, what if Beilein never hits his stride here, and doesn't do very well?  We'd probably be more likely to fire the head coach and his staff than hand the job over to someone currently sitting on the bench.

Plus, the whole aspect of hiring the guy who's going to take over for Beilein probably wouldn't sit well with him.  Who are the players going to listen to more, the head coach or the guy primed to take over the job?

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

We thought the same thing with Crean. We made a move for the sake of making a move. We didn’t think it could get worse than Crean. And then it got way worse under Archie. 

There is a difference to this process then all those since BK. There is resolve from SD to big donors that it is high time to get this ship righted. They may end up with an unknown quantity as the hire, but it won't be for lacking effort or resources to go for marlin instead of bluegill.

Just now, Stuhoo said:

Not doubting you, but why do you say that?

I don’t have any good insight on what they think of him - didn’t mean to imply that. But if you have the means to even think about Holtmann (who has a $12M buyout and 3.2M salary), I don’t think enough people are going to say no that you have to resort to a guy who is such a big question mark and has no ties to the program.  Whether that’s Enfield or Mussel or Belein or Woodson or even someone more surprising like Cronin or Altman or Calbert - I’m not sure right now. But I just really can’t imagine they’d put such a risk like Moser over those guys or that all of those guys say no. 

1 minute ago, IU Prof said:

Why would you take Enfield over Drew? If Drew is too shady, then you can't take the HC from USC, whose program was directly implicated in the FBI investigation. Plus Enfield has no Midwest/Indiana ties. 

Drew won’t be able to recruit Indiana Elite bc of burnt bridges. Not a good situation for a IU head coach. 

16 minutes ago, Nonymouse said:

Things are quiet. I’m confident Brad and Thad are out. Beyond that, I’m really not sure where things stand now.  Going to try to squeeze for some info today, but not hopeful I’ll get anything new. 

What does everyone think of Andy Enfield? 

Personally, I like Enfeld but think I am in the minority.

2 minutes ago, Feathery said:

If they can pay $12 mil buyout for Holtmann, they can buyout Nate Oats. 

But they can’t buyout Alabama if Bama opens up their checkbook and matches us.

And they most certainly would do just that.

8 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I have to think they are going after Musselman right? 

I think they’re absolutely waiting to talk to him. No idea if they can pry him from Ark. But they have to say hello. 

In the midst of so much uncertainty for us fans, I wish we knew what the experience is like for Dolson.

Is he uncertain at this point too, and he’s becoming increasingly more frustrated and anxious with each rejection he receives from a candidate? 

Or, does he already know his hire and he is patiently waiting for it to unfold as he spends his time laughing at the national media blowhards each time they toss out their newest “likeliest candidate newsflash”.

Just for fun, I’m going with the belief he has already made his selection and the candidate has either accepted or has told Dolson he will accept/announce when the time is appropriate. If true and if I was Dolson, then I might have to let it ride out a few days longer just to see which new name these clowns suspect next.

5 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I'm surprised Beard to UT isn't a done deal yet. I realize that in a few days, his buyout drops from 4$ million to 2$ M, but Shaka leaving of his own volition saves the 'Horns a buyout there. What's $2M to a wealthy UT alum???

His buyout drops from $5M to $4M for in conference and from $2.5M to $2M for  out of conference April 1st.

16 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Drew won’t be able to recruit Indiana Elite bc of burnt bridges. Not a good situation for a IU head coach. 

Maybe so, but in that case, if the ethics are out the window, then you could do much better than Enfield. Might as well go full Pitino at that point.