Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

Well, we should start with the fact that they are not one of the top 10 teams in the country.  Top ten teams aren't playing in the 8/9 opener or ranked 17th.  They certainly weren't a top ten team when they went to the final four, either.

Your bias is showing there, Brum. I've known you long enough to know you're a Kenpom truther ;)

I would assume most programs have big buck donors

And I would assume Indiana donors are willing to spend more on basketball than Arkansas’. Who knows but I’m tired of worrying about which SEC/football schools are gonna take CTA and we can’t even have the luxury of poaching their bball coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I can’t imagine Dolson would want everyone to hate him after less than a year on the job. Some of the older crowd would be happy about Cheaney at first until the reality of the hire set in. Porter Moser would be whatever the opposite of winning the press conference is. He’s basically the opposite of the kind of candidate Dolson described at his last press conference. 

Without a doubt. Archie at least coached in the A10. A Moser hire would be giving up.

Just now, brumdog45 said:

You know I like Pom.  But Pom top ten doesn't make you top ten.  Would you call Colorado a top ten team?

I would say something along the lines of, "Colorado is a top ten team according to Kenpom"

Obviously there are lots of subjective ways to present rankings based on what your goal is. For the sake of this argument, I was using Pom because it supported my argument, lol

2 minutes ago, dreachon said:

I would say something along the lines of, "Colorado is a top ten team according to Kenpom"

Obviously there are lots of subjective ways to present rankings based on what your goal is. For the sake of this argument, I was using Pom because it supported my argument, lol

That is why I hate when people base everything on stats and analytics because they don't paint a full picture.

6 minutes ago, Bobman1 said:

And I would assume Indiana donors are willing to spend more on basketball than Arkansas’. Who knows but I’m tired of worrying about which SEC/football schools are gonna take CTA and we can’t even have the luxury of poaching their bball coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Mussleman might end up being the coach of Indiana but it won’t be because IU paid more money then Arkansas.   

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That is why I hate when people base everything on stats and analytics because they don't paint a full picture.

I think the point is that no single statistic paints a full picture. Kenpom doesn't. Saying Moser has only made 2 career tourneys doesn't. NCAA Tournament seeding doesn't. That's exactly why these discussions need to be more nuanced than pointing to a single thing and saying "That's why that guy wouldn't be able to get it done at IU basketball."

Just now, dreachon said:

But if that's the measure, then that loss to Oregon State today was really bad considering they are the 43 on Pom -- a top ten team losing to a team that's only in the tournament because they won their conference tourney.

The point that was made about Moser's record prior to the final four is a correct one -- it wasn't just that he wasn't winning, it was that his good seasons still weren't very good.  I believe it took him 15 years to finish better than fifth in a conference.  It took him eight seasons at Loyala before he finally had an above .500 season in conference at Loyala.....bottom line, if he were to have the same trajectory he had at Loyala if he were at IU, he'd be fired before you ever saw the results you wanted.

It's irrelevant as well, as I don't think he's really even a candidate.....he's more of a 'media candidate' IMO, a guy they want to push.

2 hours ago, Papacap said:

Wow. I’m drinking about to see an 80s tribute band (who are awesome) and saw the lady Hoosiers score. 

Way to go Hoosiers. So freaking happy for you. Hoo-hoo-Hoosiers. 

Multi-tasking!

5 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

But if that's the measure, then that loss to Oregon State today was really bad considering they are the 43 on Pom -- a top ten team losing to a team that's only in the tournament because they won their conference tourney.

The point that was made about Moser's record prior to the final four is a correct one -- it wasn't just that he wasn't winning, it was that his good seasons still weren't very good.  I believe it took him 15 years to finish better than fifth in a conference.  It took him eight seasons at Loyala before he finally had an above .500 season in conference at Loyala.....bottom line, if he were to have the same trajectory he had at Loyala if he were at IU, he'd be fired before you ever saw the results you wanted.

It's irrelevant as well, as I don't think he's really even a candidate.....he's more of a 'media candidate' IMO, a guy they want to push.

Sure you can make that argument. 

The point about Moser is certainly correct, and also totally without context. Your numbers about his career are slightly off (13 years and 6 seasons), but I do understand the argument regardless. 

I tend to agree. I don't think he was a candidate before the tournament and I so I just don't think Dolson has been waiting for him to lose so he could hire him. Guess we'll find out here in the next couple of days. I'm still convinced it's Musselman or a very small chance at Oats. 

3 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

He has made 2 tournaments in 17 seasons.  That's a fact.  And the truth is there is NOTHING in his resume that suggests he should be getting a high major job.  He followed up his final four appearance with a 20-14 year and an NIT first round loss;  last year unless he had won the conference tournament, he wouldn't have made the tournament -- not because his conference is 'one bid', but because they weren't good enough.  This was a team that lost six non-conference games, including one to a non D1 Indianapolis team as well as Coppin State and Furman.

Everything about his career suggests that the two tournament seasons are outliers.

Aside from everything you mention I think he would be a great fit. Especially when I heard today  “they haven’t made a basket in 10 and a half minutes”. I’m thinking 8 years, 80 million.

7 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

He has made 2 tournaments in 17 seasons.  That's a fact.  And the truth is there is NOTHING in his resume that suggests he should be getting a high major job.  He followed up his final four appearance with a 20-14 year and an NIT first round loss;  last year unless he had won the conference tournament, he wouldn't have made the tournament -- not because his conference is 'one bid', but because they weren't good enough.  This was a team that lost six non-conference games, including one to a non D1 Indianapolis team as well as Coppin State and Furman.

Everything about his career suggests that the two tournament seasons are outliers.

Last year the MVC actually finished up their tournament before Covid hit. Loyola lost in the quarterfinals to Valpo so they definitely weren’t making the tournament. 

1 hour ago, Treesh said:

Arkansas booster via text “We’re not letting him leave”

Its ultimately up to Musselman, not the booster.  I get what you are saying, but what if Muss just wants to come here?

1 hour ago, dreachon said:

I'm not on the Moser bandwagon. I'm a Muss Bus guy. But yeah, it's lazy. It gives 0 context. The dude took over a 4-24 team in a 1 bid conference. The NCAA Tournament wasn't even in the realm of possibility. He failed at Illinois State, and he'd tell you that himself. Then he took over Loyola and has totally turned them around from a middling .500 ball club year in and year out. You want to knock his coaching style or resume, there is ammo there for you. He plays way too slow for my taste, especially coming off Archie. But the "2 career tourneys" stat is just a junk argument. 

Sorry you don't like facts. That is the only stat that matters.  I don't like that he doesn't score enough points to beat his opponent to get more teams in the tourney than 2 out of 17, better?  He is not the guy so quit trying to sound smart when my Stat is the only thing that matters. 

19 minutes ago, Iubravos said:

Sorry you don't like facts. That is the only stat that matters.  I don't like that he doesn't score enough points to beat his opponent to get more teams in the tourney than 2 out of 17, better?  He is not the guy so quit trying to sound smart when my Stat is the only thing that matters. 

I would tread lightly if I was you.   You won’t last long here with that posting style 

Just now, Uspshoosier said:

I would tread lightly if I was you.   You won’t last long here with that posting style 

I would if I was you, too. I'm allowed to back myself up when he comes at me. Snowflake