Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Just now, Bobman1 said:

I know you’re not on the Muss bus Treesh, but I hope to god (not even b/c of a Muss hire) that Indiana boosters > Arkansas boosters.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I’m not on that bus. I rather ride the Archie bus! (For another year before Brad comes home lol)

4 minutes ago, Bobman1 said:

I know you’re not on the Muss bus Treesh, but I hope to god (not even b/c of a Muss hire) that Indiana boosters > Arkansas boosters.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

What would make IU boosters any better than any other boosters

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

I’m not on that bus. I rather ride the Archie bus! (For another year before Brad comes home lol)

I really don't read much into the shenanigans pregame or postgame - but Arkansas hit one three all game and scored 72 points. I'm not sure how you couldn't like Muss over Archie. It's telling how bad Archie was and appeared to be incredibly restrictive in his philosophy to the detriment of the players. Justin Smith has 14 rebounds - 11 offensive! Not my first choice, but I'd feel quite happy if Muss went to IU.

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It’s the most important statistic there is. The dude has made an NCAA tournament in 11.7% of his seasons as a head coach. After his magical renaissance in St. Louis he posted six consecutive losing conference seasons. We didn’t pay $10 million to fire Archie Miller just to hire an even worse mid major coach. 

I'm not on the Moser bandwagon. I'm a Muss Bus guy. But yeah, it's lazy. It gives 0 context. The dude took over a 4-24 team in a 1 bid conference. The NCAA Tournament wasn't even in the realm of possibility. He failed at Illinois State, and he'd tell you that himself. Then he took over Loyola and has totally turned them around from a middling .500 ball club year in and year out. You want to knock his coaching style or resume, there is ammo there for you. He plays way too slow for my taste, especially coming off Archie. But the "2 career tourneys" stat is just a junk argument. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It’s the most important statistic there is. The dude has made an NCAA tournament in 11.7% of his seasons as a head coach. After his magical renaissance in St. Louis he posted six consecutive losing conference seasons. We didn’t pay $10 million to fire Archie Miller just to hire an even worse mid major coach. 

I’m not a fan of the idea of hiring him, but historically Loyola has not been a successful program. Their last tournament appearance before Moser was 1985. The guy has built the program. Will be interesting to see if he can sustain the success, but there’s a difference between not making the tournament for 6 years at a school that is used to being there, and having to build up a program to get them there consistently. 

8 minutes ago, dreachon said:

I'm not on the Moser bandwagon. I'm a Muss Bus guy. But yeah, it's lazy. It gives 0 context. The dude took over a 4-24 team in a 1 bid conference. The NCAA Tournament wasn't even in the realm of possibility. He failed at Illinois State, and he'd tell you that himself. Then he took over Loyola and has totally turned them around from a middling .500 ball club year in and year out. You want to knock his coaching style or resume, there is ammo there for you. He plays way too slow for my taste, especially coming off Archie. But the "2 career tourneys" stat is just a junk argument. 

It’s not a junk argument. He’s had more losing seasons at Loyola than he has tournament appearances. That he’s coached in one bid conferences doesn’t matter as much when you consider the fact that the past four seasons are the only four where he was anywhere close to a tournament appearance. Here’s where he finished in his conference the other 13 seasons: 7th, 5th, 5th, 10th, 6th, 8th, 6th, 10th, 7th, 10th, 6th, 8th, 5th. Winning your conference or finishing second but not making the tournament because you’re a one big league and lose in your conference tournament is one thing. Finishing 7th, 8th, even 10th in your one bid mid major program is another one entirely. 

Give him honorary tournament appearances in 2019 and 2020 to offset being in a one bid conference and he’s at 4 tournament appearances in 17 years as a head coach. That’s still terrible. It’s even worse than our 4 tournament appearances in the past 13 years. He should not be a serious candidate  

1 minute ago, Alford Bailey said:

I have my top choices and  then alot of guys Im not excited about but would give a chance. Moser would be a gut punch. Archie 2.0. If thats the best we can do then we are just sad.

I think Calbert Cheaney is the only candidate I’ve seen who I’d be even more disappointed in hiring than Moser.

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It’s not a junk argument. He’s had more losing seasons at Loyola than he has tournament appearances. That he’s coached in one bid conferences doesn’t matter as much when you consider the fact that the past four seasons are the only four where he was anywhere close to a tournament appearance. Here’s where he finished in his conference the other 13 seasons: 7th, 5th, 5th, 10th, 6th, 8th, 6th, 10th, 7th, 10th, 6th, 8th, 5th. 

Give him honorary tournament appearances in 2019 and 2020 to offset being in a one bid conference and he’s at 4 tournament appearances in 17 years as a head coach. That’s still terrible. It’s even worse than our 4 tournament appearances in the past 13 years. He should not be a serious candidate  

Every argument I've seen loves to totally ignore his last 4 years and focus on what his record was while he was busy building one of the top 10 teams in the country at Loyola. [shurg]

17 minutes ago, dreachon said:

Every argument I've seen loves to totally ignore his last 4 years and focus on what his record was while he was busy building one of the top 10 teams in the country at Loyola. [shurg]

Well, we should start with the fact that they are not one of the top 10 teams in the country.  Top ten teams aren't playing in the 8/9 opener or ranked 17th.  They certainly weren't a top ten team when they went to the final four, either.

Also -- nice to see you in these parts, dreach!

4 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Cant think we sink to this level.

I can’t imagine Dolson would want everyone to hate him after less than a year on the job. Some of the older crowd would be happy about Cheaney at first until the reality of the hire set in. Porter Moser would be whatever the opposite of winning the press conference is. He’s basically the opposite of the kind of candidate Dolson described at his last press conference.