Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 hour ago, Demo said:

Well, Baylor just scored 23 points in a half and are down 7 to a team missing their best player. Oh, and shot 2-12 from 3. .

So, we’re done with Scott Drew now, right?

Now they are on their way to the elite 8!

if only IU could play poorly and beat Villanova by double digits

42 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

Finally got caught up here, and wow did the thread take an interesting turn. I will never understand why a portion of the fan base is so incredibly obsessed with being squeaky clean. There is no such thing in college athletics. Whether it is softer admission standards to out right bag dropping, it is pervasive and everywhere. IU (Brand) caused our own cratering by following this misguided attachment to doing the right thing. We tell the NCAA to kick rocks, lawyer up and say nothing, and the program is never decimated because of KS making a couple too many phone calls. UNC is a perfect example, they clam shelled, told the NCAA to pound sand and low and behold they are still a premier program, for something far more egregious. Anyone who says they would have traded the potential success KS would have had here for the first three Crean years, and really all the years since "to do the right thing" is either lying, or living in a fantasy world that ignores what the NCAA is/cares about-- profit. Also, if you really want to believe that in 30 years of coaching RMK committed no violations beyond being verbally and physically abusive to players, I have some ocean front property in Arizona to sell. Can you imagine Ralph Floyd going to RMK at the height of his power and saying "Coach we have to self report a violation you committed."? He would have been shouted out of the building and had his life threatened. Or maybe I have no morals and care too much about winning, but all this hand wringing about potential hires' pasts just rings hollow to me.

You typed exactly how I feel. 

Yeah, me neither. And I probably should have put this in the Moser thread given that I’m just poking people’s cataclysmic overreaction over there.

This could have gone in both threads. There has been a lot of cataclysmic overreaction in both threads

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, Demo said:

Judge him however you judge him. If you judge solely on result rather than process, that’s fine. It’s certainly common. It precludes the need to project. And Moser is not my #1 guy at all, I just think he’s a very competent and legit guy, and the idea that someone would compare him unfavorably to someone like Michael Lewis is just fundamentally not a serious opinion to me. What I judge, and I’ve probably watched a dozen Loyola games over the last few years is, so a fair sample size, is: does their offense create looks, does it fit the personnel and can it be adjusted on the fly, do the players run it efficiently, do they defend with urgency, are they connected on both ends, do they play the full clock and do they maintain their discipline late, and do the kids get better. That’s most of what I look for in a nutshell. I look at what Loyola does and project it with B1G caliber athletes and I’m he  completely confident can win with it. 

Process is certainly important, don’t get me wrong, but his process has gotten him 2 tournament appearances in 17 years at the mid major level. He’d have Big 10 caliber athletes at IU, but so would the teams he would face every night. He’d also be coaching against big ten caliber coaches every night. He got thoroughly outcoached by Oregon State’s coach today. I don’t even think he’s a bad coach, he might even be a good one, but it takes more than being a good coach to succeed at the P5 level.

Honestly though I’m probably just wasting your time here, because I don’t think there’s anything anyone could say to get me excited about a Porter Moser hire. You don’t pay $10 million to fire Archie just to hire another mid major guy with an even worse resume. IU would be sending a massive ‘we don’t actually care about competing for championships’ signal to the fan base if they hired him, imho. 

6 minutes ago, jughaid said:

Right...this is just cheesy stuff I do as a teacher.   I know it's cheesy, the students know its cheesy...but it keeps it loose.  

Also, they beat UK. So...probably worth enduring.

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I was expecting something really horrible but didn't see anything really bad with this. What was it like 30 seconds

Does anyone really care what he says or how he gets his team ready? Clearly he gets them ready and fired up to play... nothing illegal, immoral or reprehensible, so WHO CARES what kind of schtick he uses in his pre-game rah-rah?