Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

2 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Loyola and Villanova kinda have the same luck. Loyola has finally taken advantage of Creighton and Wichita State leaving the conference. Villanova was a middle of the road Big East team and then Louisville, Cuse, Pitt etc left and Villanova is winning the Big East basically every year. 

I would definitely say Loyola took advantage of Creighton leaving the MVC because they replaced them.  Loyola only had the opportunity to play Wichita St for a couple of years before they left.   If anything the MVC has benefitted from Loyola joining the conference.   

Just now, btownqb said:

Absolutely absurd

You must be watching a different college basketball than I am watching.  Just look at the shooting percentages to day compared to what it us to be when the college game was at its best.

10 minutes ago, Magisterium said:

not one OR the other, one MORE THAN the other--which in today's game, would appear more often than not to be offense

Good coaches don’t coach like that. Either you can coach both or you can’t. Whether you’re offense more than defense or vice versa will be dictated by personnel. 

8 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

Finally got caught up here, and wow did the thread take an interesting turn. I will never understand why a portion of the fan base is so incredibly obsessed with being squeaky clean. There is no such thing in college athletics. Whether it is softer admission standards to out right bag dropping, it is pervasive and everywhere. IU (Brand) caused our own cratering by following this misguided attachment to doing the right thing. We tell the NCAA to kick rocks, lawyer up and say nothing, and the program is never decimated because of KS making a couple too many phone calls. UNC is a perfect example, they clam shelled, told the NCAA to pound sand and low and behold they are still a premier program, for something far more egregious. Anyone who says they would have traded the potential success KS would have had here for the first three Crean years, and really all the years since "to do the right thing" is either lying, or living in a fantasy world that ignores what the NCAA is/cares about-- profit. Also, if you really want to believe that in 30 years of coaching RMK committed no violations beyond being verbally and physically abusive to players, I have some ocean front property in Arizona to sell. Can you imagine Ralph Floyd going to RMK at the height of his power and saying "Coach we have to self report a violation you committed."? He would have been shouted out of the building and had his life threatened. Or maybe I have no morals and care too much about winning, but all this hand wringing about potential hires' pasts just rings hollow to me.

again, what the fanbase feels has little if anything to do with it--it's what Dolson and the BOT feel about Drew and his history.

Personally, having lived through everything from the "Dickens omni-probation" in the 1960s through the Knight tenure, Sampson debacle, Crean schizophrenia, and Miller detour, I simply don't have enough ethical outrage left to 1) object strenuously to a potential Drew hire or 2) object strenuously if Dolson rules out a Drew hire. I'll just roll with it either way.

Same w/ any potential hire of one of the "IU guys" too. If it happens, I won't lose sleep over it but I won't feign enthusiasm about it either, despite the inevitable follow-up pronouncements that said IU guy "will unite the fanbase" and "was Dolson's #1 choice the whole time," given the implausibility of such assertions.

As much as I'd like a "splash hire" if only to rub it in the face of the overrated, overpaid "experts" in the sports media, I'm also more than prepared for a much more modest hire such as a Fife. And if that is what does eventually occur, I'm also prepared to hear the same shallow, lazy "experts" who keep telling us at every opportunity how far from elite the IU program is, and how unrealistic its fanbase is, rip Dolson for such an uninspiring, "non-elite" hire. That's just how their games are played.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You must be watching a different college basketball than I am watching.  Just look at the shooting percentages to day compared to what it us to be when the college game was at its best.

Don't need to. Show me the shooting efficiency. Your line of thinking is archaic at best. 

6 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Good coaches don’t coach like that. Either you can coach both or you can’t. Whether you’re offense more than defense or vice versa will be dictated by personnel. 

agree to an extent, but IMO most of the recruitable "personnel" these days have more offensive skills than defensive ones, particularly shooting

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So are you saying if MSU, UM and UI leave the big ten we might have a chance LOL!

Ha, agree...

And the last couple of years you would have to add IA, OSU, PU and (excuse me while I puke) Rutgers.

1 minute ago, Magisterium said:

again, what the fanbase feels has little if anything to do with it--it's what Dolson and the BOT feel about Drew and his history.

Personally, having lived through everything from the "Dickens omni-probation" in the 1960s through the Knight tenure, Sampson debacle, Crean schizophrenia, and Miller detour, I simply don't have enough ethical outrage left to 1) object strenuously to a potential Drew hire or 2) object strenuously if Dolson rules out a Drew hire. I'll just roll with it either way.

This may be the most beautifully written description of IU basketball history and my current feelings ever to hit the interwebs. Bravo sir.

21 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

What are we supposed to use to judge Moser as a head coach? Sure, I agree that it’s unfair to judge him off one game. But then I’m also told that it’s unfair to judge him as a head coach off his entire 17 year career because he’s “changed” as a coach. Like I’ve said before, I wouldn’t have any interest in him if his past four years were the only four he’s ever coached. But he hasn’t just coached 4 years. He’s coached 17, and the other 13 were not good at all. 

Judge him however you judge him. If you judge solely on result rather than process, that’s fine. It’s certainly common. It precludes the need to project. And Moser is not my #1 guy at all, I just think he’s a very competent and legit guy, and the idea that someone would compare him unfavorably to someone like Michael Lewis is just fundamentally not a serious opinion to me. What I judge, and I’ve probably watched a dozen Loyola games over the last few years is, so a fair sample size, is: does their offense create looks, does it fit the personnel and can it be adjusted on the fly, do the players run it efficiently, do they defend with urgency, are they connected on both ends, do they play the full clock and do they maintain their discipline late, and do the kids get better. That’s most of what I look for in a nutshell. I look at what Loyola does and project it with B1G caliber athletes and I’m completely confident he can win with it. 

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

My 14 year old son said when Archie got fired I wish we would hire Jay Wright. I said I don’t think he’s leaving Nova. He said for the right amount of money he will. I thought good point.

A future Jerry McGuire

Just now, Chris007 said:

My 14 year old son said when Archie got fired I wish we would hire Jay Wright. I said I don’t think he’s leaving Nova. He said for the right amount of money he will. I thought good point.

There's almost no college basketball coach we couldn't get for the right price.  Ever watch American Pickers?  What's your crazy insane price?

Everybody has one.

He makes $6M already so that'd be a lot of dough

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk