Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

The buyout was to get rid of Archie before the boosters, game revenue, and general fan interest cratered.

May not be as much to do with the hire is as you think.

but that doesn't really explain Dolson's allusion to a 2nd donor who was willing to help with "transition costs" unless SD had reason to think he'd probably be dealing with a 2nd buyout attached to whatever new coach he'd be likely to hire--if it was just "get Archie gone at all costs" then I'd think the one donor would've been enough

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I hope this is a joke because this junk you call offense in 2021 was not what we saw in the 80's  All of this clearing out and standing around waiting for you guy to go one on one is not what basketball was meant to be.  Shooting is horrible today and teams can barely score over 70 on a good day.  I assume you never seen a game from the 80's to see what an offense is supposed to be like.

Lol shooting is horrible today? What? 

1 hour ago, Vauxhall and IU said:

Early in the week we were saying how this coaching search had entered "silly season" because Woodson's name had started popping up.

It's now Saturday and we're having academic debates on whether it's wrong to steal a loaf of bread to feed your starving family. 

I trust the process and all, but I'm kinda starting to think we need to hire a coach sometime soon. Before we're all led away in straitjackets.

as long as they're candy-striped straitjackets......

1 hour ago, HoosierTrav said:

I made a comment at the beginning of the game, that Loyola’s defense was elite..... I’m not sure I can sit through that abortion of an offense though. That was a nightmare to watch. Reminded me too much of the last 4 years. Hard pass. 

Titus made an interesting point: in the Sweet 16 there are (now were) 7 teams in KenPom's top 25 defenses and 11 in KenPom's top 25 offenses--and that doesn't include Alabama, which is somehow outside the top 25 offenses statistically speaking

possible moral: much like college football, college basketball is currently in something of an "offense > defense" era

1 minute ago, Magisterium said:

Titus made an interesting point: in the Sweet 16 there are (now were) 7 teams in KenPom's top 25 defenses and 11 in KenPom's top 25 offenses--and that doesn't include Alabama, which is somehow outside the top 25 offenses statistically speaking

possible moral: much like college football, college basketball is currently in something of an "offense > defense" era

Historically, you have to be about top 30 in both to win a title. The game is played at both ends of the floor. You can’t really be one or the other. 

20 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Sure, if this was Drew’s second tournament appearance in 17 years as a head coach. But it’s not. Drew turned a football school with no basketball history into a great P5 program. Loyola Chicago had more tournament appearances when Moser took over than Baylor did when Drew took over. The sole reason why Moser was ever even mentioned as a head coach was his two tournament appearances. When that’s all you have on your resume to point to, a bad loss like the one Moser just had is going to get more a lot more attention. 

See, and it’s not like you and I didn’t already know this, but if 1 half of basketball would ever under any circumstances matter to you in judging a guy, then you and I are probably never gonna get to the same place. Which, if nothing else, makes the conversation interesting.

12 minutes ago, Magisterium said:

but that doesn't really explain Dolson's allusion to a 2nd donor who was willing to help with "transition costs" unless SD had reason to think he'd probably be dealing with a 2nd buyout attached to whatever new coach he'd be likely to hire--if it was just "get Archie gone at all costs" then I'd think the one donor would've been enough

Buyouts for college coaches are very common so the chances of having to pay one for the incoming coach is very high. About the only way he wouldn't expect to pay one is if they hired someone out of work or an assistant. I'm not sure if NBA coaches have buyouts to terminate their contract early but it wouldn't surprise me if they do.

4 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Historically, you have to be about top 30 in both to win a title. The game is played at both ends of the floor. You can’t really be one or the other. 

not one OR the other, one MORE THAN the other--which in today's game, would appear more often than not to be offense

3 minutes ago, Demo said:

See, and it’s not like you and I didn’t already know this, but if 1 half of basketball would ever under any circumstances matter to you in judging a guy, then you and I are probably never gonna get to the same place. Which, if nothing else, makes the conversation interesting.

What are we supposed to use to judge Moser as a head coach? Sure, I agree that it’s unfair to judge him off one game. But then I’m also told that it’s unfair to judge him as a head coach off his entire 17 year career because he’s “changed” as a coach. Like I’ve said before, I wouldn’t have any interest in him if his past four years were the only four he’s ever coached. But he hasn’t just coached 4 years. He’s coached 17, and the other 13 were not good at all. 

37 minutes ago, str8baller said:

I agree 100% but even more so.........I’m sooooo tired of us not even being in the tourney or in conference contention. Please get this right Scott D. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

What are we supposed to use to judge Moser as a head coach? Sure, I agree that it’s unfair to judge him off one game. But then I’m also told that it’s unfair to judge him as a head coach off his entire 17 year career because he’s “changed” as a coach. Like I’ve said before, I wouldn’t have any interest in him if his past four years were the only four he’s ever coached. But he hasn’t just coached 4 years. He’s coached 17, and the other 13 were not good at all. 

Loyola and Villanova kinda have the same luck. Loyola has finally taken advantage of Creighton and Wichita State leaving the conference. Villanova was a middle of the road Big East team and then Louisville, Cuse, Pitt etc left and Villanova is winning the Big East basically every year. 

Just now, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Loyola and Villanova kinda have the same luck. Loyola has finally taken advantage of Creighton and Wichita State leaving the conference. Villanova was a middle of the road Big East team and then Louisville, Cuse, Pitt etc left and Villanova is winning the Big East basically every year. 

So are you saying if MSU, UM and UI leave the big ten we might have a chance LOL!