Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

He's not? Texter. Phone caller. Drug dealer enabler. Pimp enabler. Some of his players were THUGS in the true sense of the word, and the kids did not attend class... what a great guy to be charged with developing young men to be productive members of society.
All just to win a few ball games

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

I'll give you an example. We've all heard how it's really difficult for IU to get grad transfers in, right? I don't know how accurate that is, but let's assume its accurate for discussions sake. 

Stay with me here. I wasn't the best student in high school. Mostly just lack of focus and caring. So when I was being recruited for basketball, some schools had to pass because of my GPA. 

The school I ended up going to had me hold off on applying to school until the coach mailed me an application. The application he sent me was stamped at the top with a special "Basketball Office" stamp so the admissions people would know i was a scholarship recruit that our coach wanted to be admitted. Not every player got that application. 

Obviously I didn't play at IU's level, but I'd consider that the Division 2 version of the gray area. 

So let's assume the IU grad transfer difficulty rumor is true. No IU basketball coach should ever have to worry about that if he wants a player. 

Same thing happened to me at a very high academic d3 school.  No way I would have made it thru that school.  But yes, many academic schools, Mich, Duke, etc have lenient admission requirements. It’s on reason Northwestern struggles, they refuse to do it although Fitzgerald has gotten them to bend.  

1 minute ago, Kentuckysucks said:

Yeah grey area.  No sacks of cash or houses.  No hookers. No drug use.  But anything else...

So, what if agents and shoe companies are taking care of things and “coaches don’t know the specifics”?  

Noah Vonleh, Thomas Bryant, Romeo Langford sure seem very likely to be in this category.  If we won with them everyone would be jumping for joy. 

7 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

The texts and calls were wrong (e.g., rules violations)... but can you seriously tell me that you're ok with the rest of it?

If I have a vote, Sampson will NEVER be welcome at IU again. But, alas, I don't really have a voice in the matter...

What exactly, aside from rumors and assumption, did Sampson do. Had some bad kids? Happens at all places. Some kids smoked weed? happens at a lot of places. Let me tell you, RMK had some of those kinds of kids too. You just didn't hear about it.

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

So, what if agents and shoe companies are taking care of things and “coaches don’t know the specifics”?  

Noah Vonleh, Thomas Bryant, Romeo Langford sure seem very likely to be in this category.  If we won with them everyone would be jumping for joy. 

Just friends of the program. 

5 minutes ago, Southside said:

What exactly, aside from rumors and assumption, did Sampson do. Had some bad kids? Happens at all places. Some kids smoked weed? happens at a lot of places. Let me tell you, RMK had some of those kinds of kids too. You just didn't hear about it.

Didn't hear about it? Are you suggesting a cover up? There were several public reports ... Great Alaska Shootout if I remember right...

RMK suspended them or kicked them off the team... Sampson looked the other way...

3 minutes ago, Southside said:

Let me tell you, RMK had some of those kinds of kids too. You just didn't hear about it.

Sure we heard about it. Remember the famous trip to Alaska for that tourney? Three kids got the boot over that.

5 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

RMK suspended them or kicked them off the team... Sampson looked the other way...

I’m not comparing Sampson and Knight because i do not believe they’re similar. Knight would discipline the hell out of shithead and then kick them off if he had to. But he absolutely had guys who partied and did drugs. But that’s not my standard of conduct, because the “normal college stuff” just goes undetected 99% of the time unless it becomes a real problem. 

13 minutes ago, Southside said:

Shew

14 minutes ago, raorIU said:

A product that was great in the 80s, but tired these days

I hope this is a joke because this junk you call offense in 2021 was not what we saw in the 80's  All of this clearing out and standing around waiting for you guy to go one on one is not what basketball was meant to be.  Shooting is horrible today and teams can barely score over 70 on a good day.  I assume you never seen a game from the 80's to see what an offense is supposed to be like.

4 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Nah. I was around players in the late 80s. You wouldn't believe some of the crap that went on. And don't think coaches know everything that is going on. RMK didn't know half the stuff. In Sampson's case, Gordon himself said Sampson intervened and tried to stop things. I get it, you have this lofty image of how things are. It's not reality. There's a lot of grey. Could he have done more, maybe. Fact is, we don't know what went on. We don't know what he knew. We all have just a few facts, and have made our own assumptions.

17 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Didn't hear about it? Are you suggesting a cover up? There were several public reports ... Great Alaska Shootout if I remember right...

I was at IU when that happened and many of us sort of chuckled when we saw the names of the 3 players that got tossed vs the 5 that were put on Knight suspension.  
If you saw the stats of the 8 players involved it would be easy to pick out, without seeing the names, the 3 that got booted.

On the other hand it sounds as though many of the Sampson players did not go to class often. Knight absolutely did not tolerate that.  

Well, Baylor just scored 23 points in a half and are down 7 to a team missing their best player. Oh, and shot 2-12 from 3. .

So, we’re done with Scott Drew now, right?

Just now, Demo said:

Well, Baylor just scored 23 points in a half and are down 7 to a team missing their best player. Oh, and shot 2-12 from 3. .

Well it will be hard to find very many coaches in the college game that has really good offenses

1 minute ago, Demo said:

Some of us were never “in” on him. He’s recruited the most athletic team in the tourney. Don’t think much of him as an xs and os coach, though. 

9 minutes ago, Demo said:

Sure, if this was Drew’s second tournament appearance in 17 years as a head coach. But it’s not. Drew turned a football school with no basketball history into a great P5 program. Loyola Chicago had more tournament appearances when Moser took over than Baylor did when Drew took over. The sole reason why Moser was ever even mentioned as a head coach was his two tournament appearances. When that’s all you have on your resume to point to, a bad loss like the one Moser just had is going to get more a lot more attention. 

Just now, str8baller said:

Some of us were never “in” on him. He’s recruited the most athletic team in the tourney. Don’t think much of him as an xs and os coach, though. 

Yeah, me neither. And I probably should have put this in the Moser thread given that I’m just poking people’s cataclysmic overreaction over there.

34 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Huh? 

So tell me. What exactly happened? Got a link to these public reports? (talking about Sampson issues)

On Knight. I went to IU in the late 80s, and partied with players for about 2 years straight. Not BFFs with them or anything, but they were around. One of my buddies had players at his apartment almost every weekend, and my old RA was in tight with some of the older players and we hung at Killroys regularly. My freshman year, several were written up for drinking in the dorms. One for being in a room with a funny smell lol. Never got out. My soph year, several were ticketed at WKs and VVs for underaged drinking. Never got out. I remember 2 players jumping off the deck at VVs with a pony keg at L5 when the partied got raided. One of the players was very well known for beer bonging weekly at WKs. Weed was all around in those days. Not all players were weed smokers and big drinkers, but several were. I don't recall any getting suspended. I'm sure Knight ran their legs off or sat them at times if it got back to him, but there was never a huge public stink.