Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

10 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Who paid for the buyout?

Dolson said he had two separate meetings over the weekend in an attempt to receive sufficient funding. Dolson said one anonymous donor committed to fund the buyout of Miller’s contract while the second anonymous donor committed to fund the remainder of the transition and help hire the next head coach.

https://www.idsnews.com/article/2021/03/2-anonymous-donors-help-fund-archie-millers-10350000-buyout-future-iu-head-coach-search

6 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

He did not.  Especially with Brad as our top target.  The NBA might consider that tampering. 

There’s no way that can be considered tampering when your strictly buying out an old coach.

23 minutes ago, Treesh said:

You hopping on my train of keeping Drew and Mussleman away? Do you see what I’m seeing... :92:

Archie had to go. Lots of smoke there would be a ton of transfers. He just didn't work out. We don't know if Mike Lewis or Fife will work yet, but 100 percent Archie was not going to work. I actually like our returning players and think we have a chance at the dance next season. Had Archie stayed it would have been a last place finish in the league and no recruits. 

1 minute ago, Southside said:

I wonder what that donor would think if we hire Oats.  "Hey this is Scott.  I need that check for those transition costs.  It comes to about $14M. Please have it on my desk by tomorrow.  Thanks"

ImmediatePoisedAiredaleterrier-small.gif

45 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Mu son works for Andy Mohr so I will see if he is planning on doing this LOL!  Also I have seen where the NCAA is trying to put a limit on what the kids can earn or what they can earn the money form.  I don't think they will be ab le to make $500,000 for a commercial.  I think it will be more of doing voice overs for a radio show or having a social media site or a YouTube page.

You can make waaaaaaaayyyyyy more than $500k via your own social media handles and YouTube channel. If those things are in play, there is no reason to block a TV commercial 

Well we see why when looking at coaching candidates you can't just look at tournament success.  Two weeks ago Oregon St. was not in the tournament and had to win their conference tournament to just get into it.  Now they are one game away from going to the final four but no one would say Tinkle should be a candidate.

1 minute ago, MikeRoberts said:

You can make waaaaaaaayyyyyy more than $500k via your own social media handles and YouTube channel. If those things are in play, there is no reason to block a TV commercial 

Eh depends, a player like Zion could, but 99% of players wouldn’t come close to that 

Early in the week we were saying how this coaching search had entered "silly season" because Woodson's name had started popping up.

It's now Saturday and we're having academic debates on whether it's wrong to steal a loaf of bread to feed your starving family. 

I trust the process and all, but I'm kinda starting to think we need to hire a coach sometime soon. Before we're all led away in straitjackets.

2 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

I wonder what that donor would think if we hire Oats.  "Hey this is Scott.  I need that check for those transition costs.  It comes to about $14M. Please have it on my desk by tomorrow.  Thanks"

ImmediatePoisedAiredaleterrier-small.gif

I'm sure the offer came with very specific discussion lol.

The first donor probably said "just fire Archie, here's 10.5"

The second was probably "if you hire xxx, yyy, or zzz, I'll pay this much"

Just now, Vauxhall and IU said:

Early in the week we were saying how this coaching search had entered "silly season" because Woodson's name had started popping up.

It's now Saturday and we're having academic debates on whether it's wrong to steal a loaf of bread to feed your starving family. 

I trust the process and all, but I'm kinda starting to think we need to hire a coach sometime soon. Before we're all led away in straitjackets.

Metaphorically speaking or literally? ;)

I think we will know next weekend.  No inside info, just a hunch.

3 minutes ago, Dizz said:

Eh depends, a player like Zion could, but 99% of players wouldn’t come close to that 

Zion could have made $500k a day when he was at Duke. Yes, not every player is created equally, it’s a meritocracy or popularity contest but there are definitely bigten athletes that could/will make millions