Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

In 2021 if you're running a program that wins at a consistently high level, I just assume you're either cheating (if we can even call it that anymore since the NCAA doesn't care and there are no consequences) or heavily in the gray area. And yes, that includes Villanova, UVA, MSU, etc. 

I thought I was jaded.  If I had your belief.  I don't know if I could watch college sports ever again.  

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Winning and not blatantly cheating are not mutually exclusive.

They are when you don’t have a great coach to offset the recruiting disadvantage. If the NCAA cared about ‘cheating’ then it would enforce its rules. It doesn’t. It celebrates programs that we all know blatantly cheat. IU only hurts itself by not playing under the same rules as the other elite programs. 

Like I’ve said before. There are three basic ways to win in college basketball. 

Great coach who cheats, average/above average coach who cheats, and great coach who doesn’t cheat. 

We don’t want to cheat. That’s fine. But we hire average to above average coaches and expect them to win without cheating. It’s not gonna happen. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

After watching that team you needed to take a shower to clean off the scum.  It had nothing to do with phone calls but that Sampson never cared about what the players were doing off the court.  We had drug abusers who had to be suspended throughout the year and found out later a guy was being a pimp

Yep. Embarrassing. That team probably would’ve won the Big Ten and made it to the Elite 8/Sweet 16 but that’s not worth it having those kind of players. 

Just now, Unexpectedflash said:

MSU is almost certainly in the grey by getting Emoni Bates. Villanova has been getting 5 stars recently. Just don’t blatantly cheat like Will Wade and I’m fine with doing what other schools do. It’s naive thinking we’ll win at the level we want putting ourselves at such a disadvantage. 

Agree. What's the point of even fielding a team if all of your main competition is going to do everything they can to beat you, and no governing body even cares about the rules, while you toe the rulebook by the letter of the law? 

I agree, I dont want blatant cheating. But, IU should certainly be doing anything that Duke, UK, UNC, Villanova, Michigan State, etc, are all doing. 

The NCAA clearly does not care at all. 

1 minute ago, jmsgws said:

I thought I was jaded.  If I had your belief.  I don't know if I could watch college sports ever again.  

Well it’s the truth so you probably won’t want to watch anymore especially college football. 

Just now, Hippopotamo said:

Have you ever jaywalked before? 

Well if you get caught you get a ticket.  So what is the equivalent of jay walking in college basketball.  I have asked so many times for people to define what a gray area in recruiting means.  Is it it getting players families jobs or getting them approved for loans for $500,000 home that they can't afford.

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

They are when you don’t have a great coach to offset the recruiting disadvantage. If the NCAA cared about ‘cheating’ then it would enforce its rules. It doesn’t. It celebrates programs that we all know blatantly cheat. IU only hurts itself by not playing under the same rules as the other elite programs. 

Like I’ve said before. There are three basic ways to win in college basketball. 

Great coach who cheats, average/above average coach who cheats, and great coach who doesn’t cheat. 

We don’t want to cheat. That’s fine. But we hire average to above average coaches and expect them to win without cheating. It’s not gonna happen. 

Loyola may be in their way to their second final four in four years.

That’s pretty ******* good.

Wondering how much their players are getting paid.

5 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

MSU is almost certainly in the grey by getting Emoni Bates. Villanova has been getting 5 stars recently. Just don’t blatantly cheat like Will Wade and I’m fine with doing what other schools do. It’s naive thinking we’ll win at the level we want putting ourselves at such a disadvantage. 

MSU covers up rapes by their players. If they’re willing to do that to win (which I’m not, for the record), there’s zero chance they aren’t also paying players.

2 minutes ago, jmsgws said:

Am I jaded, or is it reality? Maryland and Kansas were out bidding each other a couple years ago over De Sousa (I think that's his name) who was a borderline starter, a recruit ranked in like the 80's or something. Not a 5*. 

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am so embarrassed by some of this so called IU fan base who would ever think for one moment IU should blatantly cheat just to win more games.

Name a program that wins at a high level and wins consistently that is completely clean.  I'd be absolutely shocked if there is one.  You're not really breaking rules if the people responsible for enforcement don't care, because if they don't care the rules don't mean much.  Trying to be completely clean is just handicapping the program.

Some lines shouldn't be crossed, like don't cover up sexual assault or rape.

We’ve got some incredibly naive fans if they don’t think almost every program in America doesn’t operate at least a little bit in the gray area. There are the obvious schools like Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, Louisville, Arizona, LSU, etc where we’re all very confident of blatant cheating, but the “clean” schools like Villanova and others don’t win without operating in a gray area. 

4 minutes ago, tortex28 said:

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

You know they will ask him about it after. 
If it’s true I’m cancelling my Peegs subscription. Those guys don’t know $h!t!! They act like it’s a done deal. 

Just now, HoosierFan1994 said:

If it’s true I’m cancelling my Peegs subscription. Those guys don’t know $h!t!! They act like it’s a done deal. 

What is a done deal?

I’m not saying we should hire Will Wade and let him run amok. I’m not saying we should bid on players and pay them hundreds of thousands of dollars. I’m not saying we should ever allow what Greg Marshall did at Wichita state, and I’m not saying we should allow student athletes to get away with sexual assault and other crimes. What I’m saying is we don’t need to operate like we’re scared of making a mistake and we don’t need to tell on ourselves when we break a minor rule. We should tell the NCAA to pound sand and make them prove misconduct because it has been proven to be the correct way to operate at the high major level. 

Edited by Hippopotamo

1 minute ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Peegsters think Moser to IU is going to happen?