Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

2021 Coaching Candidate Bracketology

1) Nate Oats                                                                                                                                                               Brad * Stevens (2            
-------------------------------                                                                                                                                                -------------------------------            
8) Rabbit in a Hat   |-------------------------------                                                                          -------------------------------|   Michael Lewis (7            
-------------------------------                                  |                                                                         |                                   -------------------------------            
4) Chris Beard                                           |-------------------------------    -------------------------------|                                    Eric Musselman (3            
-------------------------------                                  |                                                                         |                                   -------------------------------            
5) John Beilein       |-------------------------------                                                                          -------------------------------|   Mike Woodson (6            
-------------------------------                                                                                                                                                -------------------------------            

22 minutes ago, Its Always Sunny at IU said:

The problem is the guys most think "are the guy for this job" are not coming to IU. Oats and Musselman have better situations now. No way they leave those for a rebuilding program. Zero percent. So who will take the Indiana job that has the most upside? It's either Fife or Lewis. Porter Moser has a worse tourney record than Archie and runs the same slow down offense. Fife already recruits in the Big Ten and will take over our conference's best program when Izzo retires. Michigan St fans seem to think he's head coaching material.

I don’t understand why some of you think not one of these coaches would come here. If one does come and can turn it around for us, he would have god like status. The “rebuild” won’t take that long, so I don’t see that as a hindrance.  Yea, we may not be a top 5 job, but we have a great history and 5 banners, along with a crazy, loyal, and rabid fan base. Throw in one of the best places in college to play in, I’d be willing to bet that one these guys will gladly take the job!

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Hire Fife and all our players leave because why would they stick around and take a chance on a coach with zero P5 head coaching experience when they have established programs calling them and offering them a spot? Why play for Izzo’s assistant when they could just go play for Izzy himself? If Fife wasn’t an IU alum no one here would even be considering hiring him. 

Respectfully disagree. With lots of love to our current players they are not going to start or play much at established Power 5 programs. I don't see anyone other than TJD who would play significant minutes for Michigan State. I know it's worked out for Justin Smith, but that's not the norm. There will be over 1,000 players in the portal this year. Being a basketball player at IU is a big deal. Only so many schools where you are treated like a rock star. IU is a great place to be. Michigan State went from Jud to the top assistant Izzo. Next in line is Fife for them. We can get him right now before he destroys us for 20 years in East Lansing.  

28 minutes ago, Its Always Sunny at IU said:

The problem is the guys most think "are the guy for this job" are not coming to IU. Oats and Musselman have better situations now. No way they leave those for a rebuilding program. Zero percent. So who will take the Indiana job that has the most upside? It's either Fife or Lewis. Porter Moser has a worse tourney record than Archie and runs the same slow down offense. Fife already recruits in the Big Ten and will take over our conference's best program when Izzo retires. Michigan St fans seem to think he's head coaching material.

Respectfully disagree. Two days ago who had Shaka leaving “the great job” at basketball powerhouse Texas (sarcasm) for Marquette. 

I’m not saying it’s a high chance but I def don’t think it’s zero on Muss or Oats.

It seems that the one thing that other blue bloods and highly successful programs have in common is, their coaches have stayed  for a long time.  Coach K, Bill Self, Roy WIlliams, Calipari, Few and Izzo have been at their schools for years. UCLA, has been like Indiana, they change coaches when things don't happen quickly.  Even Purdue with Painter being there for a number of years has built an identity and I think they will continue to do well.

I think K Sampson would have worked out quite well if we had kept him.  Mike Davis may have done well, eventually.  Crean...no...IMO. he is too much like Fran McCaffery.  If you don't play defense,  the Wisconsins of the world will slap you around.  Would Archie have adjusted to the BIG in time?  I don't know but it would be so nice to get someone to stay at IU for a long time.  Those guys have the success it seems.  Just rambling here, wishing this search was over. 

1 minute ago, Moye > Boozer said:

Respectfully disagree. Two days ago who had Shaka leaving “the great job” at basketball powerhouse Texas (sarcasm) for Marquette. 

I’m not saying it’s a high chance but I def don’t think it’s zero on Muss or Oats.

I appreciate these thoughts. Usually coaches with good situations don't leave. Alabama and Arkansas are great situations for those guys. I'd argue that Arkansas has just as much basketball tradition and just as much booster money. This coaching search will be a reality check for lots of IU fans. But Indiana is still a great place to be. We will be a solid program soon. 

3 minutes ago, Its Always Sunny at IU said:

Respectfully disagree. With lots of love to our current players they are not going to start or play much at established Power 5 programs. I don't see anyone other than TJD who would play significant minutes for Michigan State. I know it's worked out for Justin Smith, but that's not the norm. There will be over 1,000 players in the portal this year. Being a basketball player at IU is a big deal. Only so many schools where you are treated like a rock star. IU is a great place to be. Michigan State went from Jud to the top assistant Izzo. Next in line is Fife for them. We can get him right now before he destroys us for 20 years in East Lansing.  

Every coach in the conference is going to want Armaan Franklin. He very well could be an all-conference guard the next two years. Khristian Lander is also going to be highly sought after. He was underwhelming last year but he also should’ve been a high school senior. He’ll have a bunch of suitors. Race Thompson will probably transfer somewhere closer to home. He’s been at IU for 4 years and the assistant who recruited him here is already gone. And TJD could go pro. Everyone else on our team is very meh. If we hire Fife I’d bet the guys above will all leave. Fife could be great at MSU or he could flop. I’d rather let them find out. 

I thought this was interesting to see two Hoosiers at the top. Lander will be sought after hard also.Screenshot_20210327-132119_Twitter.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G981U using BtownBanners mobile app

14 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

I'm confident that Drew will come if offered.  Are you guys ready to bury the hatchet regarding HMP or should we bring in Lewis or Woodson?  Those very well could be the only options.

If Drew would come then we would be absolute fools to not offer him. There shouldn’t be a “hatchet” to bury in the first place. HMP came to IU and was a constant screw up. He didn’t take being an IU basketball player seriously. He cared more about partying and hooking up with girls than he did basketball. He got a DUI at 5 in the morning two days before we played Purdue. He was a bad influence on our other players, and he eventually got kicked off the team for drug offenses. He did enough to hurt IU basketball when he was here. We can’t refuse to consider Drew because of a dirty recruiting threat by one of his assistant coaches a decade ago.

17 minutes ago, Its Always Sunny at IU said:

I appreciate these thoughts. Usually coaches with good situations don't leave. Alabama and Arkansas are great situations for those guys. I'd argue that Arkansas has just as much basketball tradition and just as much booster money. This coaching search will be a reality check for lots of IU fans. But Indiana is still a great place to be. We will be a solid program soon. 

Didn't Self leave a good situation for Kansas? 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Yeah, because for whatever reason IU is allergic to hiring successful basketball coaches. We’d rather miss the tournament every year than play the college recruiting game. Oh well, four years from now we’ll be in the next coaching candidate thread wondering why none of our hires ever pan out. 

You can be mad at IU if you want, idc either way, but there has been a decision to not pursue coaches who have put their programs on probation.