Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

2 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

The only scenario it makes sense is if Dolson hires Beilein... but I suspect that if he was going that direction, we'd be done with the search... since he's not done, it's not happening, and the coach in waiting thing is a non-starter.

Why. That could still be plan B, C or D. I know a former player talked with IU and is ready to come.  I think they would prefer to be plan A, may have even thought they were, but seems not to be the case. Doesn’t mean Dolsons priorities change when plan A is done. 

4 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Why. That could still be plan B, C or D. I know a former player talked with IU and is ready to come.  I think they would prefer to be plan A, may have even thought they were, but seems not to be the case. Doesn’t mean Dolsons priorities change when plan A is done. 

Why? Because hiring a "coach in waiting" shows a lack of long-term confidence in the guy you hired to run the program. It's says "Here are the keys to the kingdom, but don't put them on your key ring, and don't hang any pictures in your office... we've got this guy waiting in the wings for when we replace you in X years".

7 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Why? Because hiring a "coach in waiting" shows a lack of long-term confidence in the guy you hired to run the program. It's says "Here are the keys to the kingdom, but don't put them on your key ring, and don't hang any pictures in your office... we've got this guy waiting in the wings for when we replace you in X years".

But as you said, it makes some sense if it is Beilein you just dont think it makes sense because we are still waiting. That could very well be Plan B. Dolson probably does not have to rush on Plan B unless Beilein starts getting looks elsewhere and I have not heard him mentioned anywhere 

31 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’d love that. If we are getting an Up and Comer, he’s #1 in my book.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

He's gotta a little Bobby Knight in him too... So that should bring back good memories for the older folks. 

If Holtmann manufactured this rumor for purposes of engineering an extension from OSU, why would he leak that he'd turned it down and intended to stay in Columbus? You'd want to leave open the possibility that you might leave, to increase your leverage.

Just now, IU Prof said:

If Holtmann manufactured this rumor for purposes of engineering an extension from OSU, why would he leak that he'd turned it down and intended to stay in Columbus? You'd want to leave open the possibility that you might leave, to increase your leverage.

Just to show other schools the caliber of Indiana are interested is enough. It incentivizes OSU to lock him up for longer. 

Meanwhile, on Oats, you also wouldn't necessarily need a donor to have committed to paying off the full $12 million buyout, just potentially part of it. If a donor was willing to chip in $6 million, and IU was willing to offer Oats, say, $5.5 million/year, he still comes out around $1 million ahead of his current contract even with contributing $1 million/year himself for his buyout.

1 minute ago, IU Prof said:

Meanwhile, on Oats, you also wouldn't necessarily need a donor to have committed to paying off the full $12 million buyout, just potentially part of it. If a donor was willing to chip in $6 million, and IU was willing to offer Oats, say, $5.5 million/year, he still comes out around $1 million ahead of his current contract even with contributing $1 million/year himself for his buyout.

I thought that I read somewhere on this site that McRobbie said no additional cost to IU... meaning (without donor infusion) that the IU athletic department would pay the new guy no more than Archie was getting per his contract...

IF that's true, we would need donor cash for the buyout (transition costs?) and for additional salary.

4 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

Or Adidas could jump in and pay the remaining part. If they still do that. 

2 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

I thought that I read somewhere on this site that McRobbie said no additional cost to IU... meaning (without donor infusion) that the IU athletic department would pay the new guy no more than Archie was getting per his contract...

IF that's true, we would need donor cash for the buyout (transition costs?) and for additional salary.

Interesting. If so, then scratch my post.

35 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Someone correct me if I'm off-base on this, but....

I know the athletic department has NO access to any tax dollars. This is state law for state supported universities in Indiana.

So I would think this might preclude the department from having access to the IU general fund? Does the department not operate 100% based on athletic revenues including sales AND donations?

If that is so, then what is McRobbie's problem with the department having say as to how they spend money the department raised?

What am I missing here?

Edited by T White

3 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

I'm not one to pound my chest but get ready for some chest poundin'. A couple weeks ago I called that he would do this exact thing. And here we are at #3!

Hey, we are best in the Big Ten in something. Strange to see NC State fans so high on the crazy list. 

5 minutes ago, T White said:

Someone correct me if I'm off-base on this, but....

I know the athletic department has NO access to any tax dollars. This is state law for state supported universities in Indiana.

So I would think this might preclude the department from having access to the IU general fund? Does the department not operate 100% based on athletic revenues including sales AND donations?

If that is so, then what is McRobbie's problem with the department having say as to how they spend money the department raised?

What am I missing here.

I can't say... I've been gone from Indiana for almost 45 years now, so I don't know about that law... but you raise a good question...

8 minutes ago, Its Always Sunny at IU said:

Hey, we are best in the Big Ten in something. Strange to see NC State fans so high on the crazy list. 

Norm Sloan, Valvano, Everett Case, David Thompson, Sidney Lowe, etc. NC State has a rich basketball history and two banners. They are a sleeping giant for sure.

Similar to IU in many, many ways. Recently trying with Keatts, who it seems is not getting it done.