Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

44 minutes ago, Demo said:

Maybe. But what I’m confident is true is Öats’ agent taking that offer to  Greg Byrne and Byrne saying, “yeah, no problem.” The only reason for Öats to leave there for IU is if he believes his chance of winning NC’s is significantly better. And in today’s environment that’s just not the case.

Definitely true Alabama can match but it’s impossible for us to say what motivates him.

Oats grew up in the Midwest. He saw Bobby hanging banners. He knows what Indiana basketball really means or at least what it used to mean even if many do not want to acknowledge it. 

His Wiki page talks of the core values he preaches — one being “selfless love.” Same type of culture builder of another coach of ours who happened to attend the same college as Oats. They likely know each other as others have stated.

This might be Tom Allen’s greatest recruiting job of all time. 

Or maybe Oats just wants to sit on Bobby’s thrown. 

It may be a long shot, yes. But something tells me Nate Oats ascension is quite the long shot in his mind already.

Edited by Moye > Boozer

I think we need to hire somebody this weekend. We don’t want programs to convince our players to leave and the more time they have the better of a chance they have to do it. As of right now this is who I believe will come back. 

Lander- Will come back.                                          
TJD- Will come back.                                         
Armaan- Will come back 

Geromino- Is not coming back 

Race- 50/50

Parker- I hope he comes back since he has been through so much and he is a great shooter so hopefully the new coach convinces him so I think 50/50 

Al- Not coming back 

Edited by Hoosierfan22

19 minutes ago, Hoosierfan22 said:

I think we need to hire somebody this weekend. We don’t want programs to convince our players to leave and the more time they have the better of a chance they have to do it. As of right now this is who I believe will come back. 

Lander- Will come back.                                          
TJD- Will come back.                                         
Armaan- Will come back 

Geromino- Is not coming back 

Race- 50/50

Parker- I hope he comes back since he has been through so much and he is a great shooter so hopefully the new coach convinces him so I think 50/50 

Al- Not coming back 

A really good coach could do a lot with a base of Armaan, TJD, Lander, Phinisee, Leal, Galloway and their picks of the transfer portal. 

Another rumor for the rumor mill....my wife works in a large (class 6A) Indiana high school, and the folks in the athletic department there believe the hire will be Beilein with Calbert as the coach-in-waiting.  They have heard Beilein will coach 3 years and then turn the reins over to Calbert.  I asked her who they heard this from and she has no idea.  It kind of makes sense if they're considering Beilein, but I don't know....maybe they know something, maybe they don't.  

25 minutes ago, Hoosierfan22 said:

I think we need to hire somebody this weekend.

Doubt anything happens this weekend. Most definitely not today -- think Dolson would want the women to be in the spotlight. Probably not tomorrow, either -- things like that don't seem to happen on Sundays. 

5 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

A really good coach could do a lot with a base of Armaan, TJD, Lander, Phinisee, Leal, Galloway and their picks of the transfer portal. 

I think IU is set up to be solid immediately for the new coach. Most of the guys on the team were very good recruits. Miller was just an awful, awful coach. I'm not saying Big Ten champs but the new guy could absolutely make the tourney next year with our current roster. 

9 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

Another rumor for the rumor mill....my wife works in a large (class 6A) Indiana high school, and the folks in the athletic department there believe the hire will be Beilein with Calbert as the coach-in-waiting.  They have heard Beilein will coach 3 years and then turn the reins over to Calbert.  I asked her who they heard this from and she has no idea.  It kind of makes sense if they're considering Beilein, but I don't know....maybe they know something, maybe they don't.  

Beilein is sitting it at home without a job right now. If that was the plan, he could have been hired a week ago. 

4 minutes ago, bird4par said:

Why is everyone so infatuated with “coach in the waiting?”  I don’t understand. 

I'm not infatuated with it at all.  I'm not sure it's a good idea.  But if IU is considering hiring a 68-year-old coach (which I also don't think is a good idea), everybody knows he won't be coaching very long.  He'd almost have to have a coach-in-waiting for recruits to know.  At least that's what I would think.

2 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

I'm not infatuated with it at all.  I'm not sure it's a good idea.  But if IU is considering hiring a 68-year-old coach (which I also don't think is a good idea), everybody knows he won't be coaching very long.  He'd almost have to have a coach-in-waiting for recruits to know.  At least that's what I would think.

Wasn’t meant to be directed at your post.  

I think we can make some reasonable assumptions about who the next coach will be at this point through some process of elimination. 

Coaches that are off the board bc they are available and we would have hired them already if we wanted them:

Cheaney

Woodson

Belein

Matta

Beard

Fife

Coaches that are off the board bc they're not interested

Stevens

Oats (most likely)

Holtmann (LOL)

Now let's remember the prevailing thought when Archie was fired. Many people thought Dolson "had his guy in mind" and that boosters paid the buyout because they liked Dolson's plan on where the coaching search would go. That takes Moser off the list. Archie was fired before the tournament and prior to Loyola going on another run, I doubt Moser would have been on the list. The same could maybe be said for Mike Cronin and Michael Lewis...

That leaves Musselman. Musselman is the guy and your next head coach of IU basketball. It makes sense in other ways as well if you believe we were able to inquire about his character and coaching style through Justin Smith. This is, what I believe to be, the best guess based on all the available information to us. 

I think we can make some reasonable assumptions about who the next coach will be at this point through some process of elimination. 

Coaches that are off the board bc they are available and we would have hired them already if we wanted them:

Cheaney

Woodson

Belein

Matta

Beard

Fife

Stevens

Oats (most likely)

Holtmann (LOL)

Now let's remember the prevailing thought when Archie was fired. Many people thought Dolson "had his guy in mind" and that boosters paid the buyout because they liked Dolson's plan on where the coaching search would go. That takes Moser off the list. Archie was fired before the tournament and prior to Loyola going on another run, I doubt Moser would have been on the list. The same could maybe be said for Mike Cronin and Michael Lewis...

That leaves Musselman. Musselman is the guy and your next head coach of IU basketball. It makes sense in other ways as well if you believe we were able to inquire about his character and coaching style through Justin Smith. This is, what I believe to be, the best guess based on all the available information to us. 

So that leaves Musselman?
Who else ?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, dreachon said:

Cheaney

Woodson

Belein

Matta

Beard

Fife

Stevens

Oats (most likely)

Holtmann (LOL)

Given that IU gave Holtmann a look (12M buyout and 3.2 salary), buyout/raise for Mussel (who makes 2.5 and has a 5M buyout) should be a non issue. 

I feel pretty strongly now that the wait is because they want to talk to Musselman. If he isn’t the coach, it probably won’t be because of money or that IU didn’t try. 

6 minutes ago, bird4par said:

Why is everyone so infatuated with “coach in the waiting?”  I don’t understand. 

I think it's because they want an "IU guy" who isn't Alford but also realize none of them have the resume right now to get excited about hiring them. That or they want Beilein butt realize he's old and don't want another search in a few years.

5 minutes ago, dreachon said:

It makes sense in other ways as well if you believe we were able to inquire about his character and coaching style through Justin Smith.

I can almost guarantee you that the AD isn’t vetting coaching through disgruntled transferred players.  

I have no idea if it’s Musselman, but Justin Smith won’t have a thing to do with the search.