Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

The man makes $6m/yr and has clearly established himself at Nova. He's also an east coast guy. Zero chance imo. I would agree it could be a ploy to get a raise but damn......how greedy lol

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Is anyone surprised at names being tossed around at this point? 

Peegs said it was just being discussed within the last 48 hours around the industry so who knows where that came from for sure. 

As for why Jay Wright may consider leaving. It would be a new challenge and some coaches like to find ways to challenge themselves. Not all but some.

1 minute ago, ap2345 said:

Is anyone surprised at names being tossed around at this point? 

Peegs said it was just being discussed within the last 48 hours around the industry so who knows where that came from for sure. 

As for why Jay Wright may consider leaving. It would be a new challenge and some coaches like to find ways to challenge themselves. Not all but some.

Feel like if he was looking for a new challenge he would’ve taken the 76ers job last year. If not though and he’d rather take the challenge of IUBB, I’ll take it!

1 hour ago, IUc2016 said:

Tom Izzo: 0
Matt Painter: 0
Chris Holtmann: 3
Greg Gard: 0
Brad Underwood: 1
Juwan Howard: 0

These are arguably the best coaches in the BIG. The numbers listed = the number of years these coaches had at a power 6 conference before taking a head coaching job in the BIG.

Chris holtmann was at butler, which kinda counts. Other than that, not many examples of a BIG school hiring an established coach of another major conference. Turgeon was hired away from Texas A&M but he is pretty mediocre.

Another one for you Wayne, Bo Ryan never had a power 6 job and barely a D1 job for that matter before he took over Wisconsin.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Now do the number of titles this century. B1G is a deep conf, but not a top heavy one. 

1 minute ago, TheDarkKnight69 said:

Feel like if he was looking for a new challenge he would’ve taken the 76ers job last year. If not though and he’d rather take the challenge of IUBB, I’ll take it!

Could be he doesn’t want an NBA job and I’d understand why. 

19 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Apparently the rabbit that peegs was referring to earlier was Jay Wright.

I wouldn’t be mad if this was true...I forget didn’t IU try for Wright before?

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

No doubt. It was a huge risk. Fife would be an even bigger one at IU because our program is such a dumpster fire right now. My point is that when evaluating assistants, the key thing is who they coached with not just the fact that they did it.

Would agree on Fife, but there is something about Lewis that just clicks in my mind. Lewis is tough. Lewis is smart. Lewis has grown and learned at every stop. He has an edge to him - it's not a chip on his shoulder, per se... but he has a passion for basketball - INDIANA basketball... I think he could build a staff that would help where the gaps in his armor are... and I honestly think that he would be successful here. Fife may have some of that, but I've never heard him express it in interviews the way Lewis has recently.

If I'm in a war, I want Lewis in the foxhole with me.

3 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Would agree on Fife, but there is something about Lewis that just clicks in my mind. Lewis is tough. Lewis is smart. Lewis has grown and learned at every stop. He has an edge to him - it's not a chip on his shoulder, per se... but he has a passion for basketball - INDIANA basketball... I think he could build a staff that would help where the gaps in his armor are... and I honestly think that he would be successful here. Fife may have some of that, but I've never heard him express it in interviews the way Lewis has recently.

and like me, he's bald.. who wouldn't want a bad*ss bald coach?

2 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Loved both those guys as players ---- not sure I want them as coaches yet ------ but going back to a convo from a couple nights ago, when Lewis busted that kid from Iowa in the face on the inbounds pass, I'm nearly positive it was the second time that game --- that's why he was flailing around on the floor like he was!!! An all time proud Hoosier moment. Lewis is a hardmass