Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:

What I can say that I don’t want is a coach chosen to overperformance of a mid-major in this tournament. I think the smaller schools are benefiting from two huge factors:

• Small number of fans levels the playing field a lot. Big schools get an almost home court advantage in early round games is usual years
  • Bad NBA draft class. We know this because UK and Duke sucked. When the draft class is bad, veteran well-coached teams can overcome the talent advantage. 

I don't know about the bigger teams having a home court advantage early on.  I have been to the tournament in Indy plenty of times and when the lower seed is winning and it is coming down to the end the whole place is for the underdog except for one fan base.

Tom Izzo: 0
Matt Painter: 0
Chris Holtmann: 3
Greg Gard: 0
Brad Underwood: 1
Juwan Howard: 0

These are arguably the best coaches in the BIG. The numbers listed = the number of years these coaches had at a power 6 conference before taking a head coaching job in the BIG.

Chris holtmann was at butler, which kinda counts. Other than that, not many examples of a BIG school hiring an established coach of another major conference. Turgeon was hired away from Texas A&M but he is pretty mediocre.

Another one for you Wayne, Bo Ryan never had a power 6 job and barely a D1 job for that matter before he took over Wisconsin.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Probably, and that will help teams like Indiana that try to be cleaner, but the teams that adjust to that change the best will win.  The next best available players will be the players to get.  Who gets them?  Are they the new 1 n done?  Does it go back to a 3 year cycle?  Who knows.  

I think it the teams that will be good now will still be the good team then honestly. In general I think it's better to get old and stay old. Roster construction and adapting scheme to the roster is more important to me. Recruiting dawgs absolutely goes along with that though so I agree with you there. 

Just now, IUc2016 said:

These are arguably the best coaches in the BIG. The numbers listed = the number of years these coaches had at a power 6 conference before taking a head coaching job in the BIG.

Chris holtmann was at butler, which kinda counts. Other than that, not many examples of a BIG school hiring an established coach of another major conference. Turgeon was hired away from Texas A&M but he is pretty mediocre.

Another one for you Wayne, Bo Ryan never had a power 6 job and barely a D1 job for that matter before he took over Wisconsin.

Painter and Gard were both coach in waiting not the same at all 

1 hour ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

I’m 32. My first memories are sitting in a basement watching the mid to late 90s teams with my dad. Guyton, Patterson etc. my favorite team of all time is the 2001-2002 team. Loved every guy on that team. Outside of that run I haven’t seen any success other than random short runs. But I cheer my @$$ off and scream at the tv every night. My best friend has 3 young boys that can tell you the name and number of every player on the team. I think the older generation (not directed at you guys have no idea how old you are, just in general) I think they under estimate how much the younger generation and future generations are just as passionate. When people say it’s Indiana Basketball, it is. It’s not Bobby Knight basketball, it’s not 5 banner basketball. It’s the state of Indiana and how much meaning the sport holds to us, and we all want it to be successful no matter what era we grew up in. We want to win, we want to be proud of the flagship program that reflects our passion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't doubt that at all.  I am just saying that the fanbase now is not ignorant of basketball or somehow less than it was in the past because people's patience has basically worn out.

"Back in the day" things looked more rosey because they were.  People were not getting as bent out of shape because we were winning.  Alot.  The malcontents also did not have easy access to each other without the internet.  News came through the paper or the Inside Indiana you got mailed to you once a month.  You usually knew who we were recruiting by the announcement that they were going to Indiana.

You just cannot compare the two eras and use one to bash the other.

4 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Juwan Howard coached for the best coach in the sport for 5 years before going to UM. That’s why I like Fife among the IU guys. 

19 minutes ago, Treesh said:

I WANT BRAD ******* STEVENS!!!

HE IS THE ONLY COACH WE SHOULD WANT. HIM OR NATE OATS.

BRAD STEVENS, THE KING OF THE MIDWEST!!!!

Speaking of you Treesh...hear any more info you were trying to get earlier?

4 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

He was still considered a risk. I mean he literally had 0 college coaching experience

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

No doubt. It was a huge risk. Fife would be an even bigger one at IU because our program is such a dumpster fire right now. My point is that when evaluating assistants, the key thing is who they coached with not just the fact that they did it.

Edited by FrenchConnection

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:

No doubt. It was a huge risk. Five would be an even bigger one at IU because our program is such a dumpster fire right now. My point is that when evaluating assistants, the key thing is who they coached with not just the fact that they did it.

True, also Fife doesn’t carry the respect that Howard carries.  The Fab 5 was mememorialized, and that coolness and swagger still carries.  Rare thing.  He’s still exceeding all expectations regardless of fame/pedigree.  Fife is a much bigger risk.  Would Isiah Thomas coming back to coach the Hoosier carry like Juwan carries?  Lol.  

3 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Another woof.

Someone get Goodman off this beat. He is trying so hard to embarrass us, and we are making it easy for him.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I unfollowed and muted him.  Every IU fan should do the same, Doyle, Katz and Snow as well.  The less replies and retweets we as a fan base give, the better it is imo. 

Edited by 94Bulldog

I don't doubt that at all.  I am just saying that the fanbase now is not ignorant of basketball or somehow less than it was in the past because people's patience has basically worn out.
"Back in the day" things looked more rosey because they were.  People were not getting as bent out of shape because we were winning.  Alot.  The malcontents also did not have easy access to each other without the internet.  News came through the paper or the Inside Indiana you got mailed to you once a month.  You usually knew who we were recruiting by the announcement that they were going to Indiana.
You just cannot compare the two eras and use one to bash the other.

I wasn’t trying to bash at all. If anything, I think I’m trying to say all eras are still way more similar than we
Give each other credit for. We loved through different results, coaches, media outlets, technology, but our passion and pride and desire to win is all very very similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk