Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

4 minutes ago, Southside said:

But they've made the tournament at least 3 times in the last 5 years, vs our 1.

And they won their conf tournament this year. We've never won a conf tourney. 

Like I said, it's not crazy to debate things. We're living off history at IU. If we're simply comparing the last 5 years, TX has been better. And they've easily out recruited us since 2016, so we at minimum know the kids are buying TX over IU.

Things can turnaround quickly though. Let's just hope we land the right coach.

Well all that recruiting since 2016 did nothing and we still have been to the S16 and won the conference. Plus two tourney wins. 

10 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

If we reached out to Holtmann the surely we reach out to Mack??

We are probably reaching out to a lot of different  coaches.  When you apply for a job do you think your resume is the only one that the HR department is going to look at before making a  decision.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't understand why it would be a concerned.  It is not like he sets eyes on one person then goes to the next one when turned down.  He probably are reaching out to a lot of different coaches to gouge their interest and nothing more.  You want him just to go after one guy like Glass did and hire the first one you interview.

My gut feeling is that recruiting coaches in the same conference is kind of a last resort thing. 

12 minutes ago, Its Always Sunny at IU said:

It's past the point of concern, this is all we need to know about Dolson's strategy. Just randomly call people and hope someone says yes. And for me confirms the Matta news was accurate. I still think we can find a coach to get us in the tourney each year. That should not be hard at IU. Bring in Fife or Lewis and let's get going.

So just look it as a normal job application in the real world.  Does an HR department only bring in  1 resume at a time and look at it to see if they are qualified and want to hire that one.  No they keep the job open and looks at 100's of resumes and then decide who they want to bring in for an interview.  So what is so different in a coaching search when you want to look at multiple coaches before bringing in the few for interviews.

Just now, Indiana8585 said:

Well all that recruiting since 2016 did nothing and we still have been to the S16 and won the conference. Plus two tourney wins. 

Welp, those silly kids that chose TX should be reminded about Crean's success in 2016 lol... 

Probably helps them that they hand out flip flops, while we hand out down parkas. 

6 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I don't think there's anyone on this board that actually thinks Stevens is the next coach.  It's a harmless what if that's more fun than trying to figure out how long before the next failed coach needs fired.

Agree with this. It's fun. The Holtman thing should disprove any notion that there's a Stevens deal. But I'll be right here tomorrow to watch and see if the 27th is indeed the day. 

Just now, Southside said:

Welp, those silly kids that chose TX should be reminded about Crean's success in 2016 lol... 

Probably helps them that they hand out flip flops, while we hand out down parkas. 

Well those silly kids didn’t win anything so what’s the point? Agree to disagree 

12 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

So blind faith it is, fair enough!

Mpre like seeing these kind of searches for 50 years and knowing their is always a lot of smoke screens going on.  Just look at the NFL and all the rumors going around free agency and the draft and 95% of things don't happen or was not true.  Also what has Dolson done that would make you not trust him right now.  He did what most of the fans wanted and that was to fire Archie even with the buyout.  Also I will give whoever is hired a chance before I judge the hire unlike al ot of fans

1 minute ago, coonhounds said:

Why did athletic department quickly denounce the thad rumor yet let the holtman rumor run wild? Thats my question not a good look to go after holtman

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

One involves a dudes health situation

Just now, coonhounds said:

Why did athletic department quickly denounce the thad rumor yet let the holtman rumor run wild? Thats my question not a good look to go after holtman

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Not a perfect world. 

From an HR perspective? You can't respond to many/any Twitter hot takes, even if they're not true, or

We reached out to a representative of Holtmann's to see if he would have interest, and it does no good to litigate subtleties over Twitter.

14 minutes ago, Southside said:

But they've made the tournament at least 3 times in the last 5 years, vs our 1.

And they won their conf tournament this year. We've never won a conf tourney. 

Like I said, it's not crazy to debate things. We're living off history at IU. If we're simply comparing the last 5 years, TX has been better. And they've easily out recruited us since 2016, so we at minimum know the kids are buying TX over IU.

Things can turnaround quickly though. Let's just hope we land the right coach.

Also I don't think it is right to just judge things on tournament success and that is the only important thing to look at.  Everybody just looks at results when we look at coaching hires but to me the most important thing is the fit of the coach to the program.  With crean and Archie we mainly looked at how they did in the tournament and thought they were good hires.  Neither one of them really fit with this program and fan base.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Not a perfect world. 

From an HR perspective? You can't respond to many/any Twitter hot takes, even if they're not true, or

We reached out to a representative of Holtmann's to see if he would have interest, and it does no good to litigate subtleties over Twitter.

so true, we'd need someone on staff 24/7 to respond to all the rumors on these boards, lol.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Also I don't think it is right to just judge things on tournament success and that is the only important thing to look at.  Everybody just looks at results when we look at coaching hires but to me the most important thing is the fit of the coach to the program.  With crean and Archie we mainly looked at how they did in the tournament and thought they were good hires.  Neither one of them really fit with this program and fan base.

We looked at how they did in 1 tournament.

6 minutes ago, Indiana8585 said:

Well those silly kids didn’t win anything so what’s the point? Agree to disagree 

The topic is, what school is more attractive. Recruiting is somewhat a product of attractiveness, so that's the point.

Not a perfect world. 
And one claim was that the 2 had agreed to a deal. The other was simply an inquiry. Pretty big difference

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

because it is true and feel we as fans are part of the reason IU basketball isn't what it use to be.  I just see more and more fans who probably had no clue about IU basketball before they attended IU.  I just don't think those fans totally understand what IU basketball is all about or what it takes to win at IU.  Today people  just have knee jerk reactions and don't actually think things through before speaking.  these media guys know how we are and they probably are having a lot of fun at our expense seeing the meltdown here.

You are barely older than me and I grew up in Indiana as a die hard fan.  The difference between the fans then and the fans now is one group was cheering for a guy that won a Championship and went to the Final Four every 4 or 5 years and the current fans are rooting for a team that goes to the tournament itself about once every 4 years.

There are stories about IU fans throwing trash at the Purdue bus on the way out of town and things like that from the past.  There is just a whole bunch more opportunity for the fan base to show its @$$ now.