Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

2 minutes ago, Its Always Sunny at IU said:

Texas will not go through the embarrassment that Dolson is putting IU through right now. It's a better basketball program without question. 

This search more embarassing than the Shaka era?

34 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I hope these guys are getting fed bad info. 

More than likely they are making up their own info and it's a game of "you verify my info and I'll verify yours" to make each other look legitimate. They all always seem to have known a helluva lot more after the fact than before and during the situation. They get paid to have a worse track record than weathermen. Everybody lies in their business. My dad used to say don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see. That definitely applies to the media. 

5 minutes ago, Its Always Sunny at IU said:

Probably the Matta the story was true. Dolson is basically a fundraiser/cheerleader and has no experience with hiring coaches. And it's showing. A complete embarrassment. He's certainly not playing 3-D chess like some posters believe. Just hire Fife and get this circus over with already. 

Well, weren't you just a little dollop of sunshine.

I have learned one thing riding out these coaching searches... 2000-now. We can post. We can weep and wail and gnash our teeth. We can stomp our tiny little feet and b*tch and moan... but at the end of the day, we have ZERO say in anything... I initially started trying to keep up with this and the other candidate threads... I'm retired and basically have no life, and it's just not possible.

As the old saw goes, opinions are like armpits (or massholes) - we all have 'em, and they all stink... so let's just ride this out and see where it gets us BEFORE we fire up the torches and round up the posse.

1 hour ago, Unexpectedflash said:

North Carolina won in 2017 at 40 and Duke won in 2015 at 104. I think a lot of it is from Archies teams being so slow and being hard to watch so most people are weary of going that route again.

Looking at those numbers though it seems to me that if you play slow, you have to make a lot of 3s to be successful. I know Nova and UVA both took a high percentage of their shots from 3. I don’t think Moser’s teams take that many but I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Iubravos said:

I'm not opposed to a coach that plays good D and values the ball but just not Moser. Gonzaga didn't win it that year but I think they were in the finals so moot point.  I just want a coach that gets in year in year out. I also think you get better recruits playing a little more up tempo. Then when you teach them good defense, you're in a win win situation. 

Yeah, my bad. I was just looking at #1 rated overall KenPom at end of year.

19 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

Dude you have to put your emotion and love for IU to the side. I am not speaking to you as a guy who does not bleed IU, two degrees, met my wife there, I love Bloomington and the state. I have been around the world in the Air Force, met diehard fans around the landscape of college sports, and I can tell you 100% no one outside of our bubble thinks the IU job is better than say a Texas or Arkansas job because of a couple of SSs in the last six years. By your logic, Loyola Chicago is a better job than IU. We are not looked at by the basketball world like a Duke, UNC or Kentucky. It pains me to even type that, but it is reality. The ceiling is there, but right now we are stuck in the elevator in the basement.

Well I stopped reading after you said Arkansas is a better job that’s funny. First sweet 16 since 1996 and it’s better?? Hahaha 

Well as a fourth generation IU alum I can tell you I’ve been plenty of places around the world fir work and prime see IU and say basketball and when they see Texas it’s football. Anyone who thinks Arkansas is a better job than IU obviously doesn’t watch or understand basketball. 

Also thank you for your service 

Edited by Indiana8585

Just now, AZ Hoosier said:

Well, weren't you just a little dollop of sunshine.

I have learned one thing riding out these coaching searches... 2000-now. We can post. We can weep and wail and gnash our teeth. We can stomp our tiny little feet and b*tch and moan... but at the end of the day, we have ZERO say in anything... I initially started trying to keep up with this and the other candidate threads... I'm retired and basically have no life, and it's just not possible.

As the old saw goes, opinions are like armpits (or massholes) - we all have 'em, and they all stink... so let's just ride this out and see where it gets us BEFORE we fire up the torches and round up the posse.

"Opinions are like massholes"...lol

5 minutes ago, Southside said:

It's not really about the last 20, or even 10 years. It's more about the last 5. 

We have long term memories. Kids don't.

They haven’t won a tournament game since 2014

2 minutes ago, Treesh said:

We shall see. I’m holding my judgement. For all we know Brad Stevens is asking for a mansion on the outskirts of the city. We will see if there is Fire Scott thread soon enough

You don't go after Matta and Holtman if there is some deal with Stevens. You are more calm than I so congrats. And your thoughts on keeping Miller are probably what should have happened all along. I cannot believe we raised 10 mil to fire Miller with absolutely no plan. But that's what has happened.

6 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

That’s like saying because IU football has been better than than Texas recently that we are on par with them in football. We are not

This guy gets its. It's not that hard to understand.  So basically if you have a better record you're a better job is what I'm getting. This is not true. 

1 minute ago, Its Always Sunny at IU said:

You don't go after Matta and Holtman if there is some deal with Stevens. You are more calm than I so congrats. And your thoughts on keeping Miller are probably what should have happened all along. I cannot believe we raised 10 mil to fire Miller with absolutely no plan. But that's what has happened.

Treesh was right is music to my ears. But I’ll hold judgement a little while longer before I start an apology thread LOL

Its doesn’t look great with the rumors and transfers. History may repeat itself.. 

19 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

Apparently IU fans are some unique breed of fandom that is so much worse than every other fanbase in the country. It doesn't matter that the Liddel at OSU needed security after social media threats, or that UNC and UK fans want their coaches fired after one bad year. No IU fans are so scary because after 20 years with minimal success we're hoping not to settle for mediocrity. I'm tired of this notion that IU fans are somehow so much harder to deal with than other fanbases. If UNC, Kentucky, or Kansas fans had to deal with the lack of success that we have the last twenty years I'm sure they would be even worse than us. 

Uk would have burned Lexington to the ground if they were in our spot. The problem has been the administration never getting it right or taking this hire seriously enough. Let's be honest even before Knight was fired we were going down hill. For any intense fan base this is like Chinese water torture to a normal person. Yes our fans can be bad and yes it may scare away some coaches, but the only thing that makes us any different than others is we have been allowed to be this restless for so long. Because the people in charge don't care and can't get it right.

11 minutes ago, Hoosier2014 said:

One school you will become a god at if you succeed. The other you won't even fill your arena and will always be an afterthought to the football program. Maybe you could say one is less stressful and therefore a better job but its not based on what you are saying that's for sure.

Thank you, another person understands.  I'm baffled by people these days but i guess I shouldn't be anymore. 

@IU Scott why are you so confident that things are under control and proceeding according to plan? That's certainly possible, but unless you just discount every single leak from the national media and the IU media, this process doesn't appear to be going as planned.

Edited by IU Prof

2 minutes ago, Its Always Sunny at IU said:

The prospects wouldn't have been any better next year and any luster left with the program would be that much duller.  The on court product would've killed recruiting as much as anything would.

11 minutes ago, Indiana8585 said:

Wait so you mean Texas the school who ran off Rick Barnes? The one coach who’s had success there. That’s pretty harsh if you ask me, and they just ran off a coach who had 3 tourney appearances when Archie had zero. 

How on earth did we set Archie back? His 100 year bad record as coach is what set us back. He was terrible 100 years terrible. 

I already said I agreed about Sampson but that’s in the past and broke the rules he had just been charged for  I blame Herbert for demanding a minority hire since we fired Davis 

Perception is reality.  They ran Rick Barnes off after what?  17 years?  We have had 4 guys come and go in that same timeframe.  Smart got 5 and got out the door while the getting was good.  We canned Miller after 4.

I agree Miller was his own worst enemy here at Indiana, but perception is again reality.  He was a hot name coming out, did well at Dayton, and this job ate him up in 4 years.  He got a payday out of it but he is going to most likely go back to a mid-major program for his troubles.

People notice that stuff.  It sucks.  In my heart of hearts I think the Indiana job is one of the best in the world given the right support and the right coach.  But 20 years is a long time in the college basketball world.  It's been 9 years since Zeller.  We had another nice run or two after he left, but the way the administrations of Indiana over the past 20 years have handled this program has been a complete, utter, and total disaster.  The fanbase is getting the blame, but it is the decision makers fault.