Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

The only reports from objective national media sources are that we've been turned down by Matta and Holtmann, and interviewed a couple underwhelming IU guys. That's not a good sign 11 days in to a search that has been in the works for over a month.

Edited by IU Prof

10 minutes ago, akumanina said:

Hard to believe Scott Dolson tried to pry Holtmann off of OSU, a prominent member of Big Ten. I think there's a line that schools in the same conference just don't cross. 

I don't disagree but it just feels like IU might be acting like the injured pitbull right now. Glass didn't mind calling out the rivals a few months back (see quote).

I'm thinking Dolson just doesn't give a **** and whoever gave him the cash doesn't either.

We've allowed ourselves to be pushed around and it's time for that to stop. Hoping this hire proves it.

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 4.51.23 PM.png

Just now, IU Prof said:

The only reports from objective national media sources are that we've been turned down by Matta and Holtmann, and interviewed a couple underwhelming IU guys. That's not a good sign 11 days in to a search that has been in the works for over a month.

Again there are candidates that still could be in the tournament so maybe they are waiting to talk to them.

1 minute ago, OKHOOSIER said:

511-265

394-291

which of those records would you prefer? Which of those records says better team? I am not arguing history. But recent history? it isnt close.

One school you will become a god at if you succeed. The other you won't even fill your arena and will always be an afterthought to the football program. Maybe you could say one is less stressful and therefore a better job but its not based on what you are saying that's for sure.

2 minutes ago, Indiana8585 said:

How? They can’t fill their arena when they’re ranked and it’s never ever going to come close to football. We’ve had more recent tourney success and we haven’t even made it in 5 years. 

Because they can and do pay a bunch of money for that.  

We have much more of a pro type of situation here.  The coach wins or the coach has to get the f out.  We are kind of in a catch 22, losing as much as we have for a program that feels the resources and such should have lead to better results leads to anger or apathy.  IU has screwed this up so bad that the patience just is not there anymore.  If you are winning at your school and they are paying you $2.5 million a year (or more) how much more do you require to take this risk?

This job just set Archie Miller back quite a bit.

And the dirty truth that I don't think our Bob Knight obsessed fanbase or administration can come to grips with is that the holier than thou stuff ties one of our hands behind our back before we even take the court.  We reported for phone calls...you can say the other stuff about Sampson, but we narc'ed on a coach for phone calls.  The administration does not really give off the "we will help you win" vibe while also giving off the "you will be judged harshly and quickly if you do not win" vibe.

I hope Dolson actually has a rabbit to pull out of a hat, his @$$, or wherever...because appearances are that this program is in some really big trouble.

1 minute ago, Indiana8585 said:

Well I’d have to look at the schedules etc because maybe you forgot but we went through 3 of the worst ever years rebuilding our program which skew the numbers. They haven’t won a tournament game since 2014, but no mention of that, fired the only coach who had success, and haven’t made the S16 since 2008. So how does that scream better job? 

Plus Arkansas is even worse made their first S16 since 1996 this year. 

Dude you have to put your emotion and love for IU to the side. I am not speaking to you as a guy who does not bleed IU, two degrees, met my wife there, I love Bloomington and the state. I have been around the world in the Air Force, met diehard fans around the landscape of college sports, and I can tell you 100% no one outside of our bubble thinks the IU job is better than say a Texas or Arkansas job because of a couple of SSs in the last six years. By your logic, Loyola Chicago is a better job than IU. We are not looked at by the basketball world like a Duke, UNC or Kentucky. It pains me to even type that, but it is reality. The ceiling is there, but right now we are stuck in the elevator in the basement.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Again there are candidates that still could be in the tournament so maybe they are waiting to talk to them.

I agree with that and have been saying the same. But if that's the plan, then don't reach out to your conference rival's coach in the interim and have it leak.

Edited by IU Prof

5 minutes ago, Its Always Sunny at IU said:

Probably the Matta the story was true. Dolson is basically a fundraiser/cheerleader and has no experience with hiring coaches. And it's showing. A complete embarrassment. He's certainly not playing 3-D chess like some posters believe. Just hire Fife and get this circus over with already. 

We shall see. I’m holding my judgement. For all we know Brad Stevens is asking for a mansion on the outskirts of the city. We will see if there is Fire Scott thread soon enough

12 minutes ago, Indiana8585 said:

They haven’t made the elite eight or sweet 16 since 2008 either so again how’s it the better job? You’ve given no reasons 

It's not really about the last 20, or even 10 years. It's more about the last 5. 

We have long term memories. Kids don't.

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have seen the best of IU basketball and the worst of it and right now IU is no better job than UT.  I think it is time for this fan base to take their crimson colored glasses off and see the reality of this program.  We might not agree with the perception of this fan base but there is a lot of truth to it as well.  I have for years thought this fan base has been a big detriment to the overall health of the program.  Nobody wants to hear or see it but it is there.

That’s like saying because IU football has been better than than Texas recently that we are on par with them in football. We are not

Just now, IU Prof said:

I agree with that and have been saying the same. But if that's the plan, then don't reach out to your conference rival's coach in the interim and have it leak to make you look foolish.

How do you know that is true at all.  Just like the Matta rumor was shot down as untrue. 

39 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Dolson is in completely over his head at this point. I think after both the Matta news and this news we can conclude that he doesn’t have some master plan of getting a guy still coaching. I don’t think he has any plan at all beyond grasping at straws.  

The Matta news was bs, and Goodman keeps throwing names out there that we supposedly want and they don’t want us. I truly don’t think anyone but Dolson and maybe the people that ponied up the money have any idea who they are after and talking to. It’s not even been 2 weeks yet, chill out and let Dolson do his job!

Edited by hoosrnight

5 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

Unless you are drinking the BradAnon kool aid, from the outside looking in it appears that the wheels are coming off this search. If I'm Dolson, I would be leaking something to give the fan base some sense that things are under control...unless he can't, because it isn't under control.

This...everyone and their mother getting a shot in. Dolson needs to get in front of the bad perceptions/rumor mill that makes things appear completely dysfunctional. If it’s not that bad, do something to get in front of it. If it is that bad, well, I guess we’re all totally F’d!!

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

Because they can and do pay a bunch of money for that.  

We have much more of a pro type of situation here.  The coach wins or the coach has to get the f out.  We are kind of in a catch 22, losing as much as we have for a program that feels the resources and such should have lead to better results leads to anger or apathy.  IU has screwed this up so bad that the patience just is not there anymore.  If you are winning at your school and they are paying you $2.5 million a year (or more) how much more do you require to take this risk?

This job just set Archie Miller back quite a bit.

And the dirty truth that I don't think our Bob Knight obsessed fanbase or administration can come to grips with is that the holier than thou stuff ties one of our hands behind our back before we even take the court.  We reported for phone calls...you can say the other stuff about Sampson, but we narc'ed on a coach for phone calls.  The administration does not really give off the "we will help you win" vibe while also giving off the "you will be judged harshly and quickly if you do not win" vibe.

I hope Dolson actually has a rabbit to pull out of a hat, his @$$, or wherever...because appearances are that this program is in some really big trouble.

Wait so you mean Texas the school who ran off Rick Barnes? The one coach who’s had success there. That’s pretty harsh if you ask me, and they just ran off a coach who had 3 tourney appearances when Archie had zero. 

How on earth did we set Archie back? His 100 year bad record as coach is what set us back. He was terrible 100 years terrible. 

I already said I agreed about Sampson but that’s in the past and broke the rules he had just been charged for  I blame Herbert for demanding a minority hire since we fired Davis