Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 minute ago, hoosierpap said:

Can you explain to me this anti-slow ball/ pro-tempo thing?

Past 5 champions

2019- Virginia- AdjT: 353

2018- Villanova- AdjT: 150

2017- Gonzaga- AdjT: 76

2016- Villanova- AdjT: 274

2015- Kentucky- AdjT: 274

AVG Adjusted Tempo from 2015-2019 champions: 225

I guess I don't see a correlation between up-tempo and winning. I'm not against it, I just don't get why so many here seem to be pushing for it over- what appears to be- logic.

IF Gonzaga wins it this year they will certainly be the exception, not the rule.

Someone please explain...

I'm not opposed to a coach that plays good D and values the ball but just not Moser. Gonzaga didn't win it that year but I think they were in the finals so moot point.  I just want a coach that gets in year in year out. I also think you get better recruits playing a little more up tempo. Then when you teach them good defense, you're in a win win situation. 

17 minutes ago, Moye > Boozer said:

I agree with you all that for us gasping-for-air Indiana diehards Moser is not the impact hire we're looking for but tell me that Illinois game wasn't fun to watch??? I get it was only 1 game!

Here's the true question, though:

Are we going to run a "top recruit" destination program (and are we willing to really "do what it takes" to bring those guys in --- history says no)

OR ........

Are we going to develop a program that can win with the 4 year over-achiever guys with the occasional superstar thrown in (like the Wisconsin teams that have been kicking the crap out of us for the last 20 years)???

I'd bet Dolson is struggling with that question more than just a little bit.

His ultimate hire will obviously tell us which direction he has chosen for the program. 

I know my personal preference, but I am okay with either because both really can work. 

How about both? Like Kansas and UNC. 

6 minutes ago, hoosierpap said:

Past 5 champions

I guess I don't see a correlation between up-tempo and winning. I'm not against it, I just don't get why so many here seem to be pushing for it over- what appears to be- logic.

IF Gonzaga wins it this year they will certainly be the exception, not the rule.

Well considering Duke won it in 2015 and UNC won in 2017... It's more on anti-running an offense at a sloths pace and trying not to score. 

7 minutes ago, hoosierpap said:

Past 5 champions

I think many are conflating "up tempo" (which many want because it's exciting) and "Modern/NBA-style" (which is what Dolson has stated he wants).

"Modern" does not translate to fast, at least not entirely. In fact in the NBA offenses that are "too fast" like Mike D'Antoni's have tended to struggle. When I hear someone with real basketball knowledge talk about "NBA style," I hear shooting, 3-pointers, ball movement, and "small ball." Just because the NBA plays much faster than college does not mean that NBA style is "fast."

22 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Take out Gonzaga and Few and Moser and Stevens only coach to take a mid major to a final 4 and another sweet 16.   Still has a chance to go to 2 final 4s at a mid major 

VCU and Smart in there with a mid-major to a final four correct?

5 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

True.  Crazy to think Fife was about 20 years ago.

It is crazy. Time flies. Fife 19 years ago, Lewis 22 years ago, Alford 34 years ago, Woodson 41 years ago.....

4 minutes ago, GreatMcCracken’sGhost said:

I think many are conflating "up tempo" (which many want because it's exciting) and "Modern/NBA-style" (which is what Dolson has stated he wants).

"Modern" does not translate to fast, at least not entirely. In fact in the NBA offenses that are "too fast" like Mike D'Antoni's have tended to struggle. When I hear someone with real basketball knowledge talk about "NBA style," I hear shooting, 3-pointers, ball movement, and "small ball." Just because the NBA plays much faster than college does not mean that NBA style is "fast."

No the NBA is definitely going more up tempo. I remember Nate Oats actually talking about this during a game but pacing in the NBA has been going up for years but the college game hasn’t been keeping up. Plus I’ve never thought of struggling on offense when it comes to Mike Dantoni. Here’s an article actually talking about how pacing is so high in the NBA now. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lineups.com/articles/why-nba-game-pace-is-at-historic-high/%3famp

27 minutes ago, Magisterium said:

largely  agree; IMO the issue w/ Oats wouldn't be the buyout (or even any potential salary offer that Bama could match). I just get the feeling Oats doesn't want to leave Bama...yet.

That might change if UNC or Kentucky came calling, but for IU these days...tougher sell. Maybe Oats needs to have a heart-to-heart talk w/ his fellow Maranatha Baptist grad, Coach Tom Allen.

The parallels between Allen and Oats are pretty remarkable. Besides going to the same school, they both coached high school, before becoming NCAA assistants, then getting the nod for P5 jobs and succeeding at them. Hoping to add one more parallel, both coach at IU!

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

VCU and Smart in there with a mid-major to a final four correct?

Smart never had another sweet 16 at VCU.  Won a few first games.

but that run he had at VCU was really, really good.  Truth is that he was a hotter higher when he signed at Texas than Beard will be UC he signs.  

Just now, brumdog45 said:

Smart never had another sweet 16 at VCU.  Won a few first games.

but that run he had at VCU was really, really good.  Truth is that he was a hotter higher when he signed at Texas than Beard will be UC he signs.  

oh, I miss read what @Uspshoosierwas saying. Yeah that makes sense

7 minutes ago, GreatMcCracken’sGhost said:

Bingo. It's not just a track meet. It's pushing the ball with a purpose and looking up the floor. Taking driving angles the defense gives. Just playing smart and confident basketball. We've spent 4 years watching the dumbest and most scared offense in college basketball. 

2 minutes ago, Capt. Crimson said:

Rabby saying that Creighton job could open today and go after Moser.

Interesting, maybe it puts Mason Miller back in play if he likes our new coach.

Is McDermott getting fired?