Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

55 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I’m all for having IU guys part of the program but Dan goes on and on and on about former players being rubbed the wrong way etc. When UK hired Cal do you think the AD was trembling  in fear wondering what former players like Jack Givens or Kyle Macy thought about the hire?  Will UNC call in Sean May and James Worthy to get their advice/approval for Roy’s replacement  hire? 
I appreciate the former players hard work,  what they did for the program and would like them to be fully embraced by the program (and vice versa) but with all due respect they should not be in the hiring process and I don’t think a guy that played before the current kids were born somehow inspires young players  (unless it is a Michael Jordan/Magic Johnson kind of guy). 
Our team “sleep-walked” through more than one game over the last 4 years and  seeing Todd Jadlow at practice, as an example, would not have changed that.

Most UK players weren't there long enough to make connections to the school lol.  UNC players are just glad to get out there without having to go to real classes.

Just now, Golfman25 said:

Yes, but the first time he went to the final 4 and the second is the sweet 16 and still playing.  Better than most of these 1 and done guys, including the Big 10 coaches.  

Take out Gonzaga and Few and Moser and Stevens only coach to take a mid major to a final 4 and another sweet 16.   Still has a chance to go to 2 final 4s at a mid major 

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Agreed, there is nothing about his offense that says NBA to me, or getting players to the league or whatever Dolson said in his press conference

I agree with you all that for us gasping-for-air Indiana diehards Moser is not the impact hire we're looking for but tell me that Illinois game wasn't fun to watch??? I get it was only 1 game!

Here's the true question, though:

Are we going to run a "top recruit" destination program (and are we willing to really "do what it takes" to bring those guys in --- history says no)

OR ........

Are we going to develop a program that can win with the 4 year over-achiever guys with the occasional superstar thrown in (like the Wisconsin teams that have been kicking the crap out of us for the last 20 years)???

I'd bet Dolson is struggling with that question more than just a little bit.

His ultimate hire will obviously tell us which direction he has chosen for the program. 

I know my personal preference, but I am okay with either because both really can work. 

2 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Most UK players weren't there long enough to make connections to the school lol.  UNC players are just glad to get out there without having to go to real classes.

The guys Dan cries and whines about were at IU 20,30,40 years ago. UK players stuck around back then and UNC may or may not have had classes back then.

29 minutes ago, Moye > Boozer said:

I agree Hoosierfan2017.

Not my first choice (Oats Oats Oats!!) but def on brand.

Doesn't exaclty jive with the NBA-style offense I'm thinking of but they play incredibly smart and execute with a style that doesn't require the top recruits nor does it require cheating ----- hence the "on-brandness"

There is one guy that would be a true rabbit out of the hat that I didn't mention in my list earlier of guys whose teams are still playing .......

Mark ******* Few ------------ lifetime contract

If we got Mark Few I’d probably go streaking through my subdivision

1 minute ago, Iubravos said:

This coach has coached 17 years in a non power 5 and has been to the tourney 2 years. I mean I can't think of one person that would think that's a good move. It's almost laughable when you put it that way. 

Don't forget about his CBI championship. 

8 minutes ago, Iubravos said:

I'd take Beilein all day over Moser. I hope that isn't the pick but just saying. 

Agreed. I still think Beilein is the floor here (unless Dolson believes the thug comment would make him a big liability recruiting wise).

Edit: Which, I should add, isn't a bad place to be, and I say that as someone not very enthused about Beilein.

Edited by IU Prof

Just now, Moye > Boozer said:

I agree with you all that for us gasping-for-air Indiana diehards Moser is not the impact hire we're looking for but tell me that Illinois game wasn't fun to watch??? I get it was only 1 game!

Here's the true question, though:

Are we going to run a "top recruit" destination program (and are we willing to really "do what it takes" to bring those guys in --- history says no)

OR ........

Are we going to develop a program that can win with the 4 year over-achiever guys with the occasional superstar thrown in (like the Wisconsin teams that have been kicking the crap out of us for the last 20 years)???

I'd bet Dolson is struggling with that question more than just a little bit.

His ultimate hire will obviously tell us which direction he has chosen for the program. 

I know my personal preference, but I am okay with either because both really can work. 

How about a combination of both.  A 4* system, whether Loyola or Wisconsin, or whatever, can always be adapted for that 5* player.  Much, much harder to get normal college players to successfully play in a true NBA style system.  

My guess is Moser, being from Naperville, is happy coaching at Loyola and just stays there, especially if S Smart takes the Marquette position.  He may realize that IU is a no win situation for him.  Then again...if asked, he could easily jump, but it would be a mistake, I believe.  JMHO

24 minutes ago, Iubravos said:

Why would we want Moser, I don't see it at all. Slow down ball and made tourney 2 times in how many years? I hope not because he will not be the answer. 

Can you explain to me this anti-slow ball/ pro-tempo thing?

Past 5 champions

2019- Virginia- AdjT: 353

2018- Villanova- AdjT: 150

2017- Gonzaga- AdjT: 76

2016- Villanova- AdjT: 274

2015- Kentucky- AdjT: 274

AVG Adjusted Tempo from 2015-2019 champions: 225

I guess I don't see a correlation between up-tempo and winning. I'm not against it, I just don't get why so many here seem to be pushing for it over- what appears to be- logic.

IF Gonzaga wins it this year they will certainly be the exception, not the rule.

Someone please explain...

9 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

The guys Dan cries and whines about were at IU 20,30,40 years ago. UK players stuck around back then and UNC may or may not have had classes back then.

True.  Crazy to think Fife was about 20 years ago.

24 minutes ago, Dizz said:

Agreed, if its down to Moser (unless maybe he wins it all), just go with Lewis or Fife

Dizz, this is not aimed at you specifically but in general at the discussion regarding Moser.  He was a slow starter in his career but he's figured out how to win...he grasps his own strengths and weaknesses and continues to make adjustments over time.  Anyone citing his earlier years or his full career record is missing the point with this guy.  He's a very good coach today and has been for four years now.  Four years is not a fluke.  If he'd had the same level of talent for those two years in between his final four and today, he'd have made runs then too.  His pace is slow but the offense is much smoother than Miller's, even Bennet's.  My wife, who half-heartedly watches hoops on occasion, has used the word "beautiful" at times to describe some of his plays and she's not wrong.

Is Moser the right fit for IU?  I dunno...his style does not fit what Dolson described.  But some of the critics I've seen on this board are flat out wrong.  He's going to get a power five job and I believe he'll be very successful.  

7 minutes ago, hoosierpap said:

Past 5 champions

I guess I don't see a correlation between up-tempo and winning. I'm not against it, I just don't get why so many here seem to be pushing for it over- what appears to be- logic.

IF Gonzaga wins it this year they will certainly be the exception, not the rule.

North Carolina won in 2017 at 40 and Duke won in 2015 at 104. I think a lot of it is from Archies teams being so slow and being hard to watch so most people are weary of going that route again.

Looking at those numbers though it seems to me that if you play slow, you have to make a lot of 3s to be successful. I know Nova and UVA both took a high percentage of their shots from 3. I don’t think Moser’s teams take that many but I could be wrong.

8 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Has he been right yet

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Considering nobody has been hired, nobody has been right on anything yet. Can't really be "right" if there's not an answer yet.

Past 5 champions
Most of the people pushing for it are NBA fans

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk