Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 minute ago, IU Prof said:

Stepped away for a couple hours, did I miss anything of note?

Kristian is in the portal. Smart is going to Marquette. Beard is heading to Texas by the assumption of common sense. 

7 minutes ago, Dizz said:

Dolson being thorough is not the concern here, Dakich being happy is the concern.

DD has has always said he wants an IU guy but he’s also said that he wanted the department to go away from the committee’s and search firms to do a real search to find a new coach. He also wanted IU guys to be really talked to instead of just being ignored. Dolson is doing that even if it’s not an IU guy that gets the job.

1 minute ago, Benziu said:

If thats it, then like Norman Dale said, my team is on the floor.  I only want players that want to be Hoosiers. 

I hate to say it.. but some of them might not have options elsewhere.. 

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Dizz said:

Dolson being thorough is not the concern here, Dakich being happy is the concern.

Before when Archie was hired Fred Glass came out publicly and said that they would look at former IU players and people who were connected to the program and then he didn't. Dakich has said that its rubbed former players et al  and those connected in the wrong way. So I assume he's happy because Dolson is actually seeking feedback from prior IU guys, not because we are about to hire alford.

10 minutes ago, Vauxhall and IU said:

It's all right here:

https://www.crimsonquarry.com/2017/3/18/14966490/steve-alfords-pierre-pierce-iowa-sexual-assault

If I knew anything about coding, I'd create a bot that just auto-replies that link to anyone who so much as dips their toes into Alford talk. Most people with strong opinions on Alford know about this, but it hasn't stuck to him nearly as much as it should (i.e. he's still apparently viewed as employable by other schools). 

Thanks Vauxhall. I did know about this but just didn't know that was the primary driver.

41 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Again, I'm assuming the worst but hear me out.

This is exactly why I wanted to keep Archie for one more year. Hell, we didn't even need to keep him an entire year. We lose our first four games next season -- fire him and let Roberts take over. We let an Indiana alum coach finally and we get a full four-five months of conducting a national search while raising money, observing other coaches, etc. So what if the fans are upset another year or if we lose another year? Better than being stuck for an additional four more years with a coach who doesn't move the needle.

We'll find out eventually if we should've kept Archie a couple more games. 

Who would be available next year that isn't available this year

56 minutes ago, Moye > Boozer said:

Thanks Vauxhall.

So what is the hate? That he's a jerk? Dirty? Friends with Dakich? Is it the hair?

I've got plenty of friends who feel the way you do. As mentioned, I'm indifferent.

Don't mean to sound naive on this as I've only been hanging around the board for a few days. Just curious??

Research Alfords time at Iowa regarding a player with rape charges against him and see how Alford handled that incident.

28 minutes ago, DoddsHouse said:

One of the most important things in this era and moving forward is having a guy with NBA pedigree and proven to have success getting guys to the league.

If only we could get someone with ties to guys like DWade, Oladipo, Anthony Edwards, Cody Zeller...

That's it! EJ to IU.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Who would be available next year that isn't available this year

The same people.

And say Miller pulled a rabbit out of hat and got a 10 seed in the tournament.  We wouldn't get the Texas treatment if we decided to let him go then, we would get the Indiana "your expectations are just too high" treatment on steroids.  "He showed improvement, that fan base is just not patient enough.  They really need to realize where they are at in the pecking order these days."

Texas though...fire a coach that gets you to first Final Four since before the Korean War and has 2 more Elite 8 appearances along with making the tournament like 17 times and then turn around and fire his replacement after a tournament run and not a peep.   The national guys suck @$$.  Someone posted somewhere about Indiana just needing to embrace our role as the bad guy again and I agree.  They will not like us, time to get a guy to give them a really good reason to hate us.

5 minutes ago, Treesh said:

BRAD ******* STEVENS! 

If he wants the job he can find away to come this year.  Also next year we would have to wait until the NBA season ends to hire him if he is not willing to leave during the season.

7 minutes ago, Moye > Boozer said:

Thanks Vauxhall. I did know about this but just didn't know that was the primary driver.

It is the primary driver, but it's compounded by the fact that he's also a mediocre coach. If he was a great coach, I could understand there might be fans with the "win at all costs" mentality, even if I wasn't one of them. But he's not even very good! To me, he'll always be the guy whose team scored 7 points in a half against pUKe. 

On top of that, it would conform to every single accusation of our fanbase being stuck in the past and not being able to move on from Knight. He has literally less than zero upside. But none of that would bother me THAT much if not for the Pierce stuff. That's beyond the pale. I'll get behind a mediocre coach, if that's our coach, but I won't get behind someone who does something like that.

2 minutes ago, Gnet550 said:

Rabjohns just tweeted another piece...not a member, but do you subscribers

Not much. Mosier, Cheaney, Woodson are all options, maybe Fife, Lewis, maybe someone still in the tourney. Players should be in the portal. Some people think that IU might pull a rabbit out of our hat in the next 24-48 hours. I think that is everything

So, looking at the guys left in the tournament and adding Beard, Matta, and Beilein AND assuming it's not going to be any Indiana guys because that hire could've been announced by now .....

Oats (too expensive of a buyout)

Muss (Arkansas will match any offer)

Enfield ("dirty")

Altman ("dirty")

Scott ("dirty")

Mike Lewis (probably not ready at this critical juncture)

Beard (Texas)

Matta (passed)

Beilein (not long term)

it only leaves one name ......

I still say Oats and Muss are in play and money will not be the deciding factor BUT assuming it is this is where we're at: 

Porter Moser will be the next coach at IU

...... and that settles any Marquette is a better job than Indiana argument. Moser obviously declined to talk to Marquette or they wouldn't have jumped on Shaka so fast. Why did he decline to talk to Marquette?? Because he already has a job waiting for him.

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

Not much. Mosier, Cheaney, Woodson are all options, maybe Fife, Lewis, maybe someone still in the tourney. Players should be in the portal. Some people think that IU might pull a rabbit out of our hat in the next 24-48 hours. I think that is everything

I saw a rabbit on the train.