Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

15 hours ago, CrimsonV said:

Just caught Around the Horn bit on Porter Moser to Indiana.  

3 out of 4 panelists (the other didn't say either way) said he shouldn't leave for IU if offered and Loyola was a better job. 

Plaschke also said IU is no longer a blue blood and no one wants to go there anymore. lol

The barrage from national media continues

These media guys are so idiodic and can't process things objectively. If anyone tells them to stay at a small local TV station getting paid 100K rather than to work for a national TV network for considerably more money and fame because of more job pressure and scrutiny, I'm dead sure these guys will tell them "Fxxx off!". These media guys are there showing their mugs at Around the horn because they had ambition and aspiration to achieve more and challenged themselves, but when they talk about other people, "hey money and fame's good, but you don't want that big pressure and stress. Be happy where you are." 

10 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Yeah--agree. 

I think Moser is a really good man and a good coach I can easily root for, but if he's not the guy that's fine by me.

You want to talk about hiring a guy based on a couple tournament runs....that guy's record is pedestrian as hell.  I suppose he could have just taken awhile to get going, but that is another Archie Miller type of hire IMO.

14 minutes ago, akumanina said:

These media guys are so idiodic and can't process things objectively. If anyone tells them to stay at a small local TV station getting paid 100K rather than to work for a national TV network for considerably more money and fame because of more job pressure and scrutiny, I'm dead sure these guys will tell them "Fxxx off!". These media guys are there showing their mugs at Around the horn because they had ambition and aspiration to achieve more and challenged themselves, but when they talk about other people, "hey money and fame's good, but you don't want that big pressure and stress. Be happy where you are." 

The national media folks know very little about Indiana basketball. Other than TDJ, they probably couldn't name one player on the team. Probably didn't watch more than 4-5 games last season -- if that. So take what they say with a grain of salt. Plenty of people cover IU basketball who know much more about the team than the national guys -- they just don't have the spotlight. 

I remember a few years back, driving somewhere and listening to a baseball playoff game on the radio. Chris Berman (full disclosure: I can't stand Berman) was announcing the game on ESPN. It was a first-round, best-of-five series between Colorado and Philly. The Phillies won the first two games and were up in the third. Berman says, in his annoying, over-the-top voice: "If you think this team is gonna go down without a fight, then you just don' t know THE COLO-RAAAADO ROCKIES!" ... My first thought was -- and after spending two-plus games with them, you do know the Colorado Rockies? Needless to say, Philly rolled and finished the sweep. National media folks are portrayed as experts because they have the platform, so to speak. They know nothing more about IU than anyone here. 

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

You want to talk about hiring a guy based on a couple tournament runs....that guy's record is pedestrian as hell.  I suppose he could have just taken awhile to get going, but that is another Archie Miller type of hire IMO.

True, there's some commonalities. However, as you know, he is not Archie Miller.

Coaching resume commonalities tell little about the total picture of what a guy is really like.

31 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Hey, this isn't a "Whose fans love their basketball more?" contest.

Indiana is basketball too. So are Duke, UCLA, Arkansas, NC State. Lots of schools that have a rich bball history and prioritize the program. So get that inference of "I don't realize how much IU loves basketball" out of here.

image.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

Anyone else starting to warm up to Andy Enfield assuming the other top candidates all say no?  Valedictorian of his HS class.  Graduated from John Hopkins.  Spent 5 years as an NBA assistant and shooting coach to the Celtics and Bucks.  Was an assistant under Hamilton at FSU for 5 years. Took FL Gulf Coast to the Sweet 16. USC is still playing and gets better each year.  Runs a high tempo and fun to watch offense that should appeal to recruits.  Is only 51 so he could potentially be here 20 years.

Again, definitely not my top choice but would be light years better than Mike Woodson or Cheaney.  Thoughts?

Wasn't his program caught up in the same recruiting scandal as Auburn and AZ?  Yet no one seems to want Pearl or Drew because of past recruiting issues??

33 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

Where did the 27th announcement date come from? More speculation? If it were to be Brad Stevens can we assume that the 27th coaching announcement wouldn't be happening? Been out of the loop here a bit.

Some guy in the Peegs premium chat has been saying they're going to announce *cough* something *cough* that day for literally two weeks--since Archie was let go. It coincides with the NBA trade deadline passing as well as the first couple of NCAA rounds being over, so It's not that wild of a guess. But he's been very specific about that date (and literally no one else has).

7 minutes ago, Dave from Dayton said:

For crying out ******* loud.  Did you read the thread over the last page and see that I just said that I AM NOT TAKING PART IN A "WHICH FANBASE LOVES BASKETBALL MORE" contest?!?

And then you went and did exactly the opposite- what a load of crap.

3 minutes ago, IUCane said:

Wasn't his program caught up in the same recruiting scandal as Auburn and AZ?  Yet no one seems to want Pearl or Drew because of past recruiting issues??

I think you're talking about Kevin O'Neil who he took over for.  Not completely sure.

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

For crying out ******* loud.  Did you rad the thread for the last page and see that I just said that I AM NOT TAKING PART IN A "WHICH FANBASE LOVES BASKETBALL MORE" contest?!?

such nonsense.

No.  Your post said that this is not a thread for which fanbase loves basketball more.  Not that poster wasn't taking part in it.  Plus, the post then added the picture of Marquette basketball 1977.  Meh.  So I topped it.And by the way, this is an Indiana basketball fan site.

I am listening and responding with empathy.  No need to yell and misquote yourself.

Edited by Dave from Dayton

Random question on what I expect to be a slow Indiana news day ........

I'm Alford indifferent. I don't think he's ever done anything to earn the job (though I don't think his UCLA run was terrible), but I wouldn't stop watching Indiana basketball if he got hired. 

But say he did get hired with the stipulation that he had to run an Oats or Muss style of play. Would the haters still hate? Certainly okay if "yes" just curious. 

1 hour ago, Iubravos said:

1 Oats

2 Muss

3 Beard

4 Drew

5 Enfield

6 Altman

7 Beilein 

8 We forfeit next season and keep looking 

IMO, Drew, Enfield, and Altman are probably non-starters.

IU Prez McRobbie has to sign off on the hire - and he's still there until June 30th. He was furious about the Sampson fiasco and said that Sampson should never have been hired.

In 2012 the NCAA placed Baylor on probation for three years. It was found that Drew and WBC Kim Mulkey had made 1,256 rule-breaking calls (out of more than 900,000). It was considered a "major" violation - even though the NCAA changed the rule later the same year. This in addition to the Hanner Perea situation.

Enfield and USC are still under investigation as part of the widespread fraud and bribery investigation that has been ongoing for several years. One of his assistants has been prosecuted and convicted.

Altman has been hounded by controversy because of his handling of two different incidents where his players were investigated on rape charges - one of whom had been recruited as a transfer despite having been accused of sexual assault at his prior school. None of the players were convicted but many, including national publications, demanded his firing for the way he handled those situations.

It seems unlikely that McRobbie would sign off on the proposed hiring of any of these three coaches with those clouds in their background.

Edited by Elroy
Inserted Baylor in 2d paragraph

2 hours ago, hoosierbannerd said:

Yes, up tempo because right now, Indiana is the Fat Bastard "I'm ded sexy" version of sexy...

But...what if the opposite style also wins big? Like, Jay Wright, Tony Bennett, Brad Stevens big.

What if I told you of the 16 teams remaining, 5 play in the top 140 ^tempo? 

I don't dislike Oats (4 pt. line is kinda cool?) or Musselman. Musselman's got some..."quirks" but I would absolutely take them both. But this wave of up-tempo/sexy or whatever isn't the only way to win basketball games and I don't understand why people are stuck on that. 

I posted this last night but will repost again...you guys seem to have some of these guys on your current CBB Mt. Rushmore, unless I'm missing something.

AdjO: 28  AdjD: 3   AdjT: 11-    Overall (8)---------Alabama/ Oats

AdjO: 18  AdjD: 34  AdjT: 357- Overall (16)-------Virginia/Bennett

AdjO: 35  AdjD: 2    AdjT: 324- Overall (9)----------Loyola/Moser

AdjO: 6   AdjD: 72   AdjT: 332- Overall (11)--------Villanova/Wright

AdjO: 49  AdjD: 7   AdjT: 286- Overall (12)----------Arkansas/Musselman

AdjO: 37  AdjD: 10 AdjT: 17-  Overall (15)----------'10 Butler/Golden Boy

2 hours ago, CS2 said:

OMG this is the most cringeworthy speech I have ever seen.  Guy should have been fired before the team hit th floor.

I thought it was a joke. I can't believe no one in the room bursted out in laughter. How do you watch that and not?

That said.....they did win the game so I guess the horses ran out of the gate. 

18 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Aint a damn chance we get news today or tomorrow. Monday it is! 

Yep I agree. If we get something today or tomorrow, we're likely not happy.

The only guys that would be announced at this point are all people most (not all I realize) don't want (Woodson, Fife, etc.) with the exception of Brad and Beard.

Oats (not likely), Musselman, Enfield, Moser (don't want personally), are all still playing.