Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

7 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’ve been saying this for years. Crean, said this in his words. It’s really disappointing, and gives me little faith in our future.

The ones people think are clean, usually aren’t either. NCAA doesn’t even care so long as you don’t self report or embarrass them.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

It’s truly the most frustrating thing I know about in college athletics. Why do we refuse to compete on a level playing field in basketball? We refuse to play it dirty. We refuse to hire good coaches because they’re ‘dirty’. And then the administration expects to win with inferior coaches who are clean. It’s a recipe for disaster. I’m sick and tired of watching other programs cheat their a**** off and reap their rewards while our program is a national laughing stock. 

So I have my reservations about Moser and, yes, given his background Marquette may very well be a better fit. I do think he has figured something out about "program building" --- finding a style of play and recruiting guys that fit that style ------ VERY HIGH basketball IQ guys who can shoot, pass, and defend. 

He doesn't run what we think of as a modern NBA offense, but depending on the NBA team, there are similarities. Specifically the way they play through the big man as the "point-center" much like the Nuggets do with Jokic. They pass the ball exceptionally well, cut to the basket like we were all taught, and play exceptional defense.

I listened to one of his former players now assistant coaches on the radio a couple days ago and the way that kid talked about their strategy and game preparation I would've thought he was the head coach. Bottom line, he's got a crew believing and pulling in the same direction. 

I don't think the style of play is what Dolson is looking for, but I do believe we could do much much worse in a hire. 

The most interesting thing to me is the dilemma Moser presents to us as Hoosier Nation. He is seemingly the antithesis of the Oats / Muss style of ball and DEFINITELY the antithesis of KU, Kansas, Duke, etc.

The Moser playing style:

• does not require the top recruits
  • is still aesthetically pleasing to watch 
  • can win against more athletic competition -- even comp picked by many to win the natty
  • AND DOES NOT REQUIRE CHEATING TO BE SUCCESSFUL

Can we have our cake and eat it to if it's already been decided that we want to win by landing the top dogs and providing a style of play that helps shuffle them along to the NBA? I have my doubts. 

I think I've made it pretty clear by my 1,000 posts the past couple days that I really want Oats. 

I would be happy with Muss because the dude wins and does seem to wear pants that fit.

I'd be pretty damn happy with some of the other names still out there. 

Just want to make the point that Moser would be a good hire because it would represent that we want to win the way we used to win ---- with really smart players, playing fundamentally sound ball, hitting open shots, and mostly staying for 4 years. 

Kind of reminds me of the Brad Stevens model actually.

3 hours ago, Iubravos said:

I don't see why people don't understand it's a good thing we haven't hired anybody yet. Sounds to me like he is waiting to go all in on the Quaker man(Oats).  Has to be him or one of the remaining coaches and the only others are Drew and Musselman. 

All the top candidates other than Beard are still playing.  Unfoturnately, it's probably not until Wed when any of them would be available.  Barring any upsets, at least one or two will be available to talk to.  

One more random candidate thought ......

Anyone else think maybe the conversation with Matta went like this:

Matta: Yes, I'm interested. Are you ready to make a decision?

Dolson: Not just yet we've got some other interviews.

Matta: I'll give you until the end of the day to decide if you're offering me. Otherwise .... I'm out!

I still think maybe it could be him btw

3 hours ago, ISP said:

Trade deadline was just that, I was told to pay attention to the trade deadline. 
My assumption was that is Boston didn’t make moves or good enough moves then it could encourage Stevens to reconsider as Dolson gave one final push. That is just my assumption. But seems that another insider here heard something similar, just doesn’t want to post it because of those who attack. 

It's logical, but still probably unlikely.  Maybe.  

1 hour ago, Hovadipo said:

Pankowski is one of the Hysteric dorks right?

Yeah....not worth much. 

Based on his further comments...he is an a$$. He talks down to everyone who doesn't agree with him. You can tell he's an IU a$$ kisser and will be "Yay-rah!" no matter what happens. I've never wanted to listen to their podcast and I won't now. 

2 hours ago, Willkie71 said:

I agree 100%  Tired of all the hero worshipping and him laughing at us.  Dolson shouldn't be begging and throwing more money at the Masshole. He wants to be an NBA coach and live in Boston, fine.  Let's get someone who wants to be here.  

Agreed.  The call should be "hey Brad, Angie fd you.  Last chance."  

7 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

All the top candidates other than Beard are still playing.  Unfoturnately, it's probably not until Wed when any of them would be available.  Barring any upsets, at least one or two will be available to talk to.  

I've said this from the beginning, the longer it goes on the better for Indiana. It's going to be a coach still coaching in the tournament. Good for Scott. 

2 hours ago, Willkie71 said:

I agree 100%  Tired of all the hero worshipping and him laughing at us.  Dolson shouldn't be begging and throwing more money at the Masshole. He wants to be an NBA coach and live in Boston, fine.  Let's get someone who wants to be here.  

Agree with you. It is time to move on folks. Why do we want someone who doesn't want to be here? He made that pretty clear last week. I know it's a message board and it's fun to speculate but it is what it is. What if he came here and half-a$$ed the job? 

36 minutes ago, Moye > Boozer said:

So I have my reservations about Moser and, yes, given his background Marquette may very well be a better fit. I do think he has figured something out about "program building" --- finding a style of play and recruiting guys that fit that style ------ VERY HIGH basketball IQ guys who can shoot, p@$$, and defend. 

He doesn't run what we think of as a modern NBA offense, but depending on the NBA team, there are similarities. Specifically the way they play through the big man as the "point-center" much like the Nuggets do with Jokic. They pass the ball exceptionally well, cut to the basket like we were all taught, and play exceptional defense.

I listened to one of his former players now assistant coaches on the radio a couple days ago and the way that kid talked about their strategy and game preparation I would've thought he was the head coach. Bottom line, he's got a crew believing and pulling in the same direction. 

I don't think the style of play is what Dolson is looking for, but I do believe we could do much much worse in a hire. 

The most interesting thing to me is the dilemma Moser presents to us as Hoosier Nation. He is seemingly the antithesis of the Oats / Muss style of ball and DEFINITELY the antithesis of KU, Kansas, Duke, etc.

The Moser playing style:

• can win against more athletic competition -- even comp picked by many to win the natty

Can we have our cake and eat it to if it's already been decided that we want to win by landing the top dogs and providing a style of play that helps shuffle them along to the NBA? I have my doubts. 

I think I've made it pretty clear by my 1,000 posts the past couple days that I really want Oats. 

I would be happy with Muss because the dude wins and does seem to wear pants that fit.

I'd be pretty damn happy with some of the other names still out there

Just want to make the point that Moser would be a good hire because it would represent that we want to win the way we used to win ---- with really smart players, playing fundamentally sound ball, hitting open shots, and mostly staying for 4 years. 

The question is could he, or would he, adapt his style to the better players he'd be able to recruit.  They way they smaked U of I was pretty impressive.   

41 minutes ago, Moye > Boozer said:

So I have my reservations about Moser and, yes, given his background Marquette may very well be a better fit. I do think he has figured something out about "program building" --- finding a style of play and recruiting guys that fit that style ------ VERY HIGH basketball IQ guys who can shoot, pass, and defend. 

The Moser playing style:

I'd be pretty damn happy with some of the other names still out there. 

One of my worries with him is that his offense really seems to rely on an extremely skilled big man. It works with Krutwig but I don’t think it’s that easy finding someone that skilled in college every year.

1 minute ago, Golfman25 said:

The question is could he, or would he, adapt his style to the better players he'd be able to recruit.  They way they smaked U of I was pretty impressive.   

Agree with this. I honestly won’t be surprised when Archie finds success at a smaller school. Systems work as long as you’re not trying to cram unique talents into some bland floor plan system. Translating “I can make a system work” into success with major talents is my biggest fear with hiring another mid major type. 

I do love the motion and the scheming in Moser’s design, though.