Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

12 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

Hopkins is an example of why it doesn’t work. He just went 5-21 at Washington. Extremely underwhelming year last year with two NBA players.Feel like there’s a big jump in responsibility from being an assistant to head coach that I’d rather the guy show that he can handle it at a smaller school first.

Yea, I'm a part time season ticket holder at UW and chuckle when I read stories from idiots who think IU didn't give Archie enough time. Trust me if Hop has another bottom half of the Pac 12 finish next year he will be gone. Also I chuckle with people who think IU is done forever.  UW football has a couple of national titles and had trouble replacing a legend (Don James). Went winless under Ty Willingham then eventually found the right guy and was in the college football playoffs a few years later and have a couple of Rose Bowls. The same people said the same thing about unreasonable crazy football fans at UW. Find the right coach and IU hoops will be back....quickly. 

26 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

How often does a head coach in waiting work out anyways? I’m struggling to think of any examples in recent times. Izzo I think but that was before my times. If we got Beilein I’d rather him stabilize the job for 6-7 years when we’re in a good position to hire someone better if we can’t get anyone now. 

Greg Gard, Painter, Brian Dutcher, and Kevin Ollie that i can think off the top of my head 

To those of us worried what the national media says about the desirability of the IU job...

Agree with what Stuhoo said earlier: perception is part of the reality. People fear this job. The pressure of high expectations from administration, fans, players, students, and media in a place that is absolutely craving a return to success is no small feat to withstand. There are many programs out there notably more successful than IU has been in the last two decades, but I guarantee you the media would take IU back in a heartbeat once we start finding success. They’ll never say it now, but they won’t be able to write their headlines fast enough when the time comes. Some of those others that have been relatively successful won’t get a second thought when they fall off. Just look at how much they love to talk about us now.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 minute ago, zsmithey4 said:

I personally am a big fan of Nate Oats but I am confused by a lot of the talk on here around him. Am I missing something I was under the impression that there was no way we would get him?

More than likely not, but who really knows.

Just now, zsmithey4 said:

I personally am a big fan of Nate Oats but I am confused by a lot of the talk on here around him. Am I missing something I was under the impression that there was no way we would get him?

He has a big buyout and said he was not interested when this all started, but that doesn't usually mean much. Not sure if the increase in "chatter" is being driven by anything other than fan speculation though.