Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

2 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Maybe maybe not. Just going off starting salaries of last two coaches

IU > 3 million
Marquette : 1.6 million

Plus IU just had 1 donor pay a 10 million dollar buyout.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Good point 

I thought no way in heck could Marquette compete financially with facilities and basketball stuff back when Garcia was down to IU and Marquette.  Then every National scout pointed out how their boosters just throw money at the program and how other basketball programs would kill for some of the stuff they have.   I dug a little myself and saw their facilities and they were impressive.  It will be interesting if he gets down to those 2 and it’s his choice what he ultimately does 

Loyola has a good chance to make the Final Four. If they do, I'd be surprised if Moser leaves for another job. Who was the last coach to make the Final Four and leave for another job the next season? Roy?

IF Moser does lead Loyola to another Final Four, I can get behind IU hiring him. My only point is that if they lost to Illinois we wouldn't be talking about him. That being said if he can get some wins this weekend (beat Oregon State and knock off Houston or Syracuse) that makes him a lot more attractive of a hire. It's hard to make a final four. Making two in four years is pretty good. 

7 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Good point 

I thought no way in heck could Marquette compete financially with facilities and basketball stuff back when Garcia was down to IU and Marquette.  Then every National scout pointed out how their boosters just throw money at the program and how other basketball programs would kill for some of the stuff they have.   I dug a little myself and saw their facilities and they were impressive.  It will be interesting if he gets down to those 2 and it’s his choice what he ultimately does 

Think he takes Marquette.  He went to Jesuit HS I believe, currently coaches at a Jesuit school, wouldn’t HAVE to move family, could dominate the conference, has great facilities, less pressure, and can get paid.  

Good point 

And for the record, I think it is 100% possible for Marquette to be a better job for porter moser. I hate the blanket “better job” argument that national writers like to make. It’s very subjective to each coach.

That’s what I am taking issue with here

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

If I'm a coach, a good solid coach, and I had a chance to go to IU, I could not think of a better time.

• We've had a dumpster fire for 4 years.
  • We've been in decline for 20 years (with a couple of good years thrown in for kicks)
  • Fan base is foaming at the mouth to win again, and fan expectations are far lower now, than 10 yrs ago
  • Hard to imagine it could get much worse.
  • Transfer portal is a real opportunity to fix the roster (at least partially) quickly
  • Great chance to have a better year in 21-22 than 20-21.
  • and then build from there.

Would you face a lot of scrutiny under the fan base microscope? Sure. But that will happen no matter what. If you start winning, you'll be a hero.

4 minutes ago, IUCane said:

Think he takes Marquette.  He went to Jesuit HS I believe, currently coaches at a Jesuit school, wouldn’t HAVE to move family, could dominate the conference, has great facilities, less pressure, and can get paid.  

Also spent time at SLU which is another Jesuit school. Wouldn’t blame him one bit for taking Marquette over us as it seems his religion is a huge part of his life.

4 minutes ago, DWB said:

If I'm a coach, a good solid coach, and I had a chance to go to IU, I could not think of a better time.

• We've had a dumpster fire for 4 years.
  • We've been in decline for 20 years (with a couple of good years thrown in for kicks)
  • Fan base is foaming at the mouth to win again, and fan expectations are far lower now, than 10 yrs ago
  • Hard to imagine it could get much worse.
  • Transfer portal is a real opportunity to fix the roster (at least partially) quickly
  • Great chance to have a better year in 21-22 than 20-21.
  • and then build from there.

Would you face a lot of scrutiny under the fan base microscope? Sure. But that will happen no matter what. If you start winning, you'll be a hero.

Archie set the bar so low that any coach who gets us back to the sweet 16 is going to be a god in the state of Indiana. 

Just now, TheDarkKnight69 said:

Head coach in waiting is a good idea in theory, but what if in 6 years after Beilein retires, someone proven and successful wants the job? Puts you in a weird situation 

Better to be in a weird situation than to be rudderless.  Without a coach in waiting people would use his age against him in recruiting. 

Just now, TheDarkKnight69 said:

Head coach in waiting is a good idea in theory, but what if in 6 years after Beilein retires, someone proven and successful wants the job? Puts you in a weird situation 

How often does a head coach in waiting work out anyways? I’m struggling to think of any examples in recent times. Izzo I think but that was before my times. If we got Beilein I’d rather him stabilize the job for 6-7 years when we’re in a good position to hire someone better if we can’t get anyone now. 

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I often tend to post cartoons or make jokes and probably too often for some of you.  But what follows is no joke and something that really does concern me.

As a board, we are terribly splintered.  Not just in terms of who the next coach should be but also should it be an IU guy or not.  When the next coach is announced, some of us are going to be extremely disappointed and some even angry.  Emotions will run high and we will have a posting frenzy.  It's perfectly OK to vent frustration over the selection but let's keep it civil and not let our board go into a full attack mode against the new coach or against each other.   I'm still putting my chips on Dolson to make the right decision for the long term and not just win a popularity contest from btb.

It's always interesting to see how people respond under stress. We all want our Hoosiers to win. Gotta be ready to roll no matter who it is!

2 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I often tend to post cartoons or make jokes and probably too often for some of you.  But what follows is no joke and something that really does concern me.

As a board, we are terribly splintered.  Not just in terms of who the next coach should be but also should it be an IU guy or not.  When the next coach is announced, some of us are going to be extremely disappointed and some even angry.  Emotions will run high and we will have a posting frenzy.  It's perfectly OK to vent frustration over the selection but let's keep it civil and not let our board go into a full attack mode against the new coach or against each other.   I'm still putting my chips on Dolson to make the right decision for the long term and not just win a popularity contest from btb.

Cheers.

Whoever we choose, if I like the pick, great.  If I don't, I'm rooting for being wrong.

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Better to be in a weird situation than to be rudderless.  Without a coach in waiting people would use his age against him in recruiting. 

Coach in waiting really only works if the guy is going to quickly take over.  With Painter it was a one year wait.  A guy in waiting can very easily find another head coaching job if the team is doing well.  And if they aren't, he might not want the job.