Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Just now, CrimsonV said:

Just caught Around the Horn bit on Porter Moser to Indiana.  

3 out of 4 panelists (the other didn't say either way) said he shouldn't leave for IU if offered and Loyola was a better job. 

Plaschke also said IU is no longer a blue blood and no one wants to go there anymore. lol

The barrage from national media continues

Sports writers aren’t known for their intelligence.  

14 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Also ... y'all are fired up about the prospect of Nate Oats. Great coach! However, unless I'm mistaken, his current buyout is over $12 million.

To me, that's a non-starter.

Well we paid Archie $10 million to go on vacation. Scott might be able to find the money.

30 minutes ago, DWB said:

Well that should pi$$ a bunch of guys off based on recent comments. But that's OK, we all have our own viewpoints, and that's what makes the world go 'round.

Well, considering we spent most of today debating Calbert Cheaney as a candidate, Porter Moser doesn't look so bad anymore. I would still be very disappointed, but talking about actual head coaches as candidates is a step in the right direction. 

1 hour ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I'm seeing 2 different train of thought in this thread.
1 we need a home run
2 we need to hire now because 4 players are in the transfer portal

If #1 the names mentioned are still coaching in the Tournament. If #2 we are not getting the homerun hires. We would be getting either a retired coach or a coach whose team is done for the season.

What do you want

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

#1- The new coach will have much more impact on IU's future than a handful of players from this year's underperforming team. 

I want Franklin, Geronimo, Race and TJD to all stay and IU to have a solid team next season, but not at the expense of getting the right coach for the next 10+ seasons. Mr Right is probably not Mr Right now. (Yes I said that before, but I think it's clever, so repeated it.) 

In other words I will absolutely sacrifice a few good players to get a great coach that will certainly replace them soon enough anyway.

1 minute ago, IUc2016 said:

One gets football money the other does not.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

One lets their assistants use private jets for recruiting without the head coach and the other doesn’t.   The top programs in the game are jealous of some of the stuff Marquette coaches get to do 

8 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Devils advocate: The only people who disagree with the national media are IU fans. Maybe they are right. If they are right, how does the school change/fix it? We are really arrogant as a collective fanbase. No one thinks Indiana Basketball is relevant nationally other than us. 

13 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Hey guys...perception is part of reality. Learn to live with it. If Dolson finds the right guy and we win, the perception changes.

The national media believes that Indiana is a more interesting, and yes, better college football program right now than Nebraska. I AGREE. Nebraska football fans would think that is laughable. It goes both ways.

EXACTLY!

13 minutes ago, str8baller said:

You're absolutely right. My problem is I'm still trying to figure out what they ARE known for. Can't come up with anything.

1 hour ago, hoosierpap said:

With the exception of two home runs which I think we're on about an 0-2 count with...program perception is going to be increased through results. I, frankly, don't care about program perception just need reality. You may point to program perception and tie it to recruiting, thus results, but program perception is one of many-mild influences- on recruiting.

Yeah, love Cheaney and all but I agree- it's ridiculous.

I will say, I think your comparison between Archie and Moser is fairly lazy. They're actually very different coaches with very different systems, experience, personalities. You are correct they are coming from mid major but that's about all I can get down with. 

I don't know Moser's system (honestly not sure if I even knew what Archie's system was supposed to be) or personality, so I defer to you on that. All I have to go off is his on-paper resume, and I have a lot of concerns about it. I'm not sure, at least on paper, that he'd be any better than Crean or Miller.  His past 4 years have been quite good for Loyola, but his previous 13 years not so much. Would we be getting the Moser of the past four years, the Moser of the 13 previous years, or something in between? I dunno. I think it comes down to how much risk people are willing to take, and also if any of the 'name' guys are options. 

3 minutes ago, ISP said:

Haven't heard anything back yet from that particular guy. I’ll gladly report back when I do, I’m a masochist.

I hear you, just wondered if there was an update....appreciate ya