Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

It's no wonder the players are considering their options. With zero knowledge of what is actually going to happen, the negativity on these boards is so bad it's even beginning to scare me!  But with the right hire, many or all can come back.  Will totally depend on the hire IMO. 

Just now, Treesh said:

To me, it's concerning that players are entering the portal at different times. They are getting told by their AAU coaches, friends, family that you should explore your market for free.

One they see greener grass.. it's hard to turn away pending our hire. 

At least we know the boys were faithful to Archie! 

We don’t know that. They could have still hit the portal if he were the coach. It’s a free year, almost anyone should be looking to be honest. 

3 hours ago, ap2345 said:

You shouldn’t be surprised that it hasn’t been publicly reported. The media is usually wrong with coaching search information. 

The Drew stuff is pretty common knowledge. It was an assistant that Drew kept around even after those events. 

the Drew stuff involved more than just Morefield's actions

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

None of us know anything about these caches and what so let the people who are doing the interviewing do their jobs.  Also why believe every little thing that is being reported on the internet.

All the information being leaked points in one direction, and it’s not a good one. A week ago I though John Beilein would be a disappointing hire. Now? He’d be a freaking grand slam in my eyes.

I love IU. I loved my time at IU and will always look back fondly on it. I met my girlfriend there, and I met some of my best friends there. But there comes a point where rooting so hard for a program that can’t get out of its own way stops being enjoyable. For me, another underwhelming hire would bring me to that point. It especially would if the rumors of Dolson not being interested in Beard or Drew are true. I wouldn’t ever root for another school, I’d just become a casual fan.

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

To me, it's concerning that players are entering the portal at different times. They are getting told by their AAU coaches, friends, family that you should explore your market for free.

One they see greener grass.. it's hard to turn away pending our hire. 

At least we know the boys were faithful to Archie! 

I think seeing Smith at Arkansas and Damezi at Loyola (even though he's not playing) is probably a huge factor. 

1 minute ago, PB1230 said:

I think you are correct, and why I think Beilein AS the associate coach to a more inexperienced head coach/IU guy is more plausible than the other way around

Beilein has never been an assistant in his whole career so I doubt he will start now

Exactly.
Hiring Calbert to be HC is like having someone operate on you just because they had the same surgery you need. "Well they MUST know something!" No. Please make the any IU player crap stop. 
All-time GREAT player with a very thin coaching resume and ZERO head coach experience. Calbert has no business being the next IU head basketball coach and hiring him would be mal-practice by Dolson. Thankfully I doubt he's that stupid and hiring Calbert as HC would be monumentally STUPID. 
I'm not saying CC is the answer but you guys act like he hasn't been coaching for years in college and pros... it's not like he's been sitting on the couch watching games.

He's got a nice resume as an assistant and was coached by an all time great... If the guy can recruit, I'm confident he knows how to coach.

I'd be more than OK with Calbert.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Capt. Crimson said:

I think seeing Smith at Arkansas and Damezi at Loyola (even though he's not playing) is probably a huge factor. 

Smith was a Crean guy and Anderson was a BUST. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

All the information being leaked points in one direction, and it’s not a good one. A week ago I though John Beilein would be a disappointing hire. Now? He’d be a freaking grand slam in my eyes.

I love IU. I loved my time at IU and will always look back fondly on it. I met my girlfriend there, and I met some of my best friends there. But there comes a point where rooting so hard for a program that can’t get out of its own way stops being enjoyable. For me, another underwhelming hire would bring me to that point. It especially would if the rumors of Dolson not being interested in Beard or Drew are true. I wouldn’t ever root for another school, I’d just become a casual fan.

That is your choice but I guess I am different because I will root for IU through thick or thin

19 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

He doesn't know specifics. He actually didn't even say that was why IU hadn't contacted him.

He just said when UCLA was searching for a coach he asked someone in their AD why they hadn't gone after beard and he was told because of skeletons in his closet. So he assumes that is why IU hasn't contacted him either

It sounded to me like they were alluding to problems with alcohol.  They said "it's not like he has DUI's"   and "it's not like he's all Billie Gillespie"

6 minutes ago, Willkie71 said:

It's no wonder the players are considering their options. With zero knowledge of what is actually going to happen, the negativity on these boards is so bad it's even beginning to scare me!  But with the right hire, many or all can come back.  Will totally depend on the hire IMO. 

Good take.  Grown adults can't control their emotions with this let alone young college athletes...good for them to keeping their options open.

3 minutes ago, Capt. Crimson said:

Doesn't matter if he was a Crean guy.. they see someone transfer out and now their teams are in the sweet 16. 

It does mater if he was a Crean guy. He came here to play for Tom, Tom got fired. He left.

Race, Frank, Jordan, and Parker came for Archie. Archie got fired. They are leaving more than likely. 

Just now, IU Scott said:

That is your choice but I guess I am different because I will root for IU through thick or thin

Root for them? I’ll still root for IU. I just won’t dedicate as much of my time and energy to following them. And I suspect I’m far from alone in that. The students coming to IU now don’t see IU basketball the same way you do. There are far too many things to do in this world to spend so much time watching bad, unenjoyable basketball. 

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

It sounded to me like they were alluding to problems with alcohol.  They said "it's not like he has DUI's"   and "it's not like he's all Billie Gillespie"

yeah it seems like it has to be something along those lines. 

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

It does mater if he was a Crean guy. He came here to play for Tom, Tom got fired. He left.

Race, Frank, Jordan, and Parker came for Archie. Archie got fired. They are leaving more than likely. 

Smith played for Archie for 3 years? Not trying to argue with you.. just saying they've seen someone leave and have success and that could be a motivation for them to test the waters when there is so much uncertainty around our program. And there's almost no consequence this year anyway.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Root for them? I’ll still root for IU. I just won’t dedicate as much of my time and energy to following them. And I suspect I’m far from alone in that. The students coming to IU now don’t see IU basketball the same way you do. There are far too many things to do in this world to spend so much time watching bad, unenjoyable basketball. 

The student section has to be reduced for the next two years. Allow general fans in the balconies, reduce the price of tickets. We're not going to be good, you might as well try to get people back into the games. 

Just now, Treesh said:

The student section has to be reduced for the next two years. Allow general fans in the balconies, reduce the price of tickets. We're not going to be good, you might as well try to get people back into the games. 

Student section is going to be baddddd next year if the team stinks. It was bad before the pandemic and our program has only gotten worse since then. The football student section should be good though!