Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

If it has to be an IU guy sign me up for CC. At least he's young enough to be here 20 years and just be entering his 70s if we hit on him. Won't have to worry about him leaving for another job if he has success. Has coached in the program before. I don't want an IU guy, but I'd rather take a flier on him instead of the others. 

38 minutes ago, cleeter said:

Good morning Mr. Dolson. Thank you for seeing me. I feel if you look at my resume, you’ll see I have all the qualifications you are seeking in the next coach and Indiana University

7e3b947fa58250a9e6e39600664bc3ed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone knows you have to win over moms in the recruiting battles. Big Handsome will have no trouble there!

2 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Inside the Hall has a nice piece on different candidates. They have 11 so far...I'm pretty sure Calbert would be number 11 on that list. I'm an Evansville guy and that would be an awesome story! Calbert is an awesome person. I met him after a game about ten years ago at Assembly Hall. Would love for him to be the top assistant. But in no way is he ready to be the Indiana Head Coach guys. If he isn't good enough for UE, IUPUI, and UIndy...come on....

Out of curiously, was he a legitimate candidates at any of the schools you mentioned?

3 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

I meant an Army of support. 

Support from former players isn’t going to win us games. What’s his recruiting pitch going to be? “I played at IU so you should too”? I know I’m being repetitive, but he should not be a serious candidate. His qualification is his IU degree, and that’s not going to win him games as a coach either.

I don’t get this. People discredited Mike Woodson (who has real nba coaching experience!) because he has never recruited before. But we are fine with CC who has never even been the lead assistant at a P5 program and whose recruiting abilities are completely unknown? 

1 minute ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

WHAT?????

Peegs mentioned it in the chat. Said it could still happen but the indications they have thus far are that Beard has at least some interest and that they don't believe IU is interested due to lack of fit. It's always possible conversations are happening, but Peegs said they do not believe IU has even contacted Beard. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Based off what? He’s never been a head coach and his assistant coaching resume is pretty thin. The University of Evansville didn’t want him to be their head coach. Do we officially have lower standards than the University of Evansville?

Based off hope mainly. I think he'd be able to modernize the program and give a fun style of play. Also believe he'd be able to actually develop talent. 

Just now, HankTheDeuce said:

Peegs mentioned it in the chat. Said it could still happen but the indications they have thus far are that Beard has at least some interest and that they don't believe IU is interested due to lack of fit. It's always possible conversations are happening, but Peegs said they do not believe IU has even contacted Beard. 

Thats crap

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Based off what? He’s never been a head coach and his assistant coaching resume is pretty thin. The University of Evansville didn’t want him to be their head coach. Do we officially have lower standards than the University of Evansville?

Not a fair criticism IMO.

There's a job he didn't get? So what.

1 minute ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Based off hope mainly. I think he'd be able to modernize the program and give a fun style of play. Also believe he'd be able to actually develop talent. 

Fair enough, but wouldn't you rather invest that "hope" in someone that already has a record of successfully doing that? 

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I'll say this...and it's a "me" thing, not a coaching thing:

I find it attractive if we make a hire that does not have a pre-established reputation with another program. A reputation that will follow them no matter how well they do at IU. My best case scenario is if we have a program and a coach that are inherently connected. 

Howard? UM, Calipari? UK, K? Duke, Drew? Baylor, and on and on and on.

From the names that have been discussed the ones that would fit that model-that don't already get completely associated with a particular program, are: Lewis, Fife, Enfield, Stevens (kinda), Cheaney, Woodson, Moser (kinda), and a lot of the up and comers.

That's just me.

I felt that way about that too but honestly my preference is that Indiana wins...there have been three what I would call splash hires in the last 20 years in college basketball: 

Rick Pitino to Louisville (He had a pre-established reputation at Providence, UK and the NBA)

Roy Williams to UNC (I get he went there but we was at Kansas for awhile.)

John Calipari to Kentucky (He had a pre-established reputation at Memphis and UMass as well as the NBA. 

Each of these three have something in common: They have won National Championships (spare me 2013-Louisville won it). 

IU and UCLA get a lot of crap about replacing a legend. So far UConn has struggled since Calhoun left (Ollie had his team). Let's see how Duke, Syracuse, and Michigan State do after their HOF coaches leave. 

11 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight69 said:

At this point, if TJD and the transfer portal guys are gone, I’m expecting a losing record no matter who the coach is. 

Whoa there cowboy, pump the brakes....TJD has made no indication and the other three seem to be just keeping options open, likely if they don’t feel like they fit in the new coaches system or mesh with the coach. I agree we need a good hire, but they can be retained

It’s easy to judge any candidate by their experience or history or anything, but ultimately, we do not know what their vision is for the program or what they are telling Dolson that will sell him to hire them. That’s why I am fine with whatever candidate we end up with. I don’t think Dolson is going to hire someone because he has no options 

2 minutes ago, IUBBx5Banners said:

I don’t get this. People discredited Mike Woodson (who has real nba coaching experience!) because he has never recruited before. But we are fine with CC who has never even been the lead assistant at a P5 program and whose recruiting abilities are completely unknown? 

Mike Woodson didn't win as an NBA head coach. We know we're going to get flat results and he's 63, which I don't like to use age but can he really relate to 18 year olds? We know John can but Woodson has been in the NBA his entire career.

At least Calbert is younger and has been around the college game. 

Just now, Gnet550 said:

Whoa there cowboy, pump the brakes....TJD has made no indication and the other three seem to be just keeping options open, likely if they don’t feel like they fit in the new coaches system or mesh with the coach. I agree we need a good hire, but they can be retained

I literally said IF they leave. Never said anything was definite. 

3 minutes ago, HankTheDeuce said:

With the preface that I don't believe almost anything coming out...if this is true Dolson better have a "home run" lined up and not just take a huge gamble on an "IU guy".

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Not a fair criticism IMO.

There's a job he didn't get? So what.

So we're going to hire someone to be our head coach who no one else has ever wanted to be their head coach either? And whose assistant coaching resume is incredibly thing? Mike Woodson isn't a good candidate. But Mike Woodson looks like Brad Stevens as a candidate compared to Calbert Cheaney. We'd be hiring someone with no head coaching experience and minimal assistant coaching experience to resurrect a struggling program.