Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

7 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I think Calbert could succeed. He was big when Zeller was here. Seemed to leave quite a hole when he left as well. 

I think that big hole was left by Victor Oladipo, Cody Zeller, and others leaving. LCS, you would want to fire Cheaney after he comes in and posts a losing record next year. You thought Archie was bad? Just wait. Cheaney is not even remotely qualified. Do you think any other P5 program would hire him to be their head coach?

12 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight69 said:

I’d be excited about a Calbert hire. I’m an optimist though. 

https://www.insidethehall.com/2021/03/23/coaching-search-profile-calbert-cheaney/

He would have an ARMY of former IU greats for insight and support at his disposal.... The more I look into him, the more I’m becoming interested.

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I think that big hole was left by Victor Oladipo, Cody Zeller, and others leaving. LCS, you would want to fire Cheaney after he comes in and posts a losing record next year. You thought Archie was bad? Just wait.

At this point, if TJD and the transfer portal guys are gone, I’m expecting a losing record no matter who the coach is. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I think that big hole was left by Victor Oladipo, Cody Zeller, and others leaving. LCS, you would want to fire Cheaney after he comes in and posts a losing record next year. You thought Archie was bad? Just wait.

I think Cheaney is a bit more modern than Archie was. I think he'd definitely be able to connect more with players and definitely has a better personality. Getting the right assistant coaches would be huge for him obviously. But I would be excited with him. I wouldn't be ready to fire him unless I seen enough red flags like Archie after 2 years. 

What if we never stopped going after Stevens. What if the press conference by Brad was just a diffusion to get people to quit talking about it. What if we always knew it was him, but we knew we had to wait till this weekend the whole time? Lot's of what-ifs but then again He's just made up like Santa, Easter bunny, and tooth ferry anyway. None of those things are real. 
I have noticed the only name I have seen Boston going after is Harrison Barnes which i don't think works make the already unhappy fans happy

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Artie86 said:

https://www.insidethehall.com/2021/03/23/coaching-search-profile-calbert-cheaney/

He would have an ARMY of former IU greats at his disposal.... The more I look into him, the more I’m becoming interested.

He wouldn’t be building a team of IU greats to come back and play for IU. The only former IU players out there who are good assistants are Lewis and Fife, and they’re already at better programs than IU. Neither are leaving to be an assistant here. 

32 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

If Calbert....ugh. 

This is a "hey it's worked for Michigan, it'll work for us too" move (if true). 

Yikes. 

Exactly.

Hiring Calbert to be HC is like having someone operate on you just because they had the same surgery you need. "Well they MUST know something!" No. Please make the any IU player crap stop. 

All-time GREAT player with a very thin coaching resume and ZERO head coach experience. Calbert has no business being the next IU head basketball coach and hiring him would be mal-practice by Dolson. Thankfully I doubt he's that stupid and hiring Calbert as HC would be monumentally STUPID. 

I'll say this...and it's a "me" thing, not a coaching thing:

I find it attractive if we make a hire that does not have a pre-established reputation with another program. A reputation that will follow them no matter how well they do at IU. My best case scenario is if we have a program and a coach that are inherently connected. 

Howard? UM, Calipari? UK, K? Duke, Drew? Baylor, and on and on and on.

From the names that have been discussed the ones that would fit that model-that don't already get completely associated with a particular program, are: Lewis, Fife, Enfield, Stevens (kinda), Cheaney, Woodson, Moser (kinda), and a lot of the up and comers.

That's just me.

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He wouldn’t be building a team of IU greats to come back and play for IU. The only former IU players out there who are good assistants are Lewis and Fife, and they’re already at better programs than IU. Neither are leaving to be an assistant here. 

I meant an Army of support. 

Just now, Stuhoo said:

I'll say this...and it's a "me" thing, not a coaching thing:

I find it attractive if we make a hire that does not have a pre-established reputation with another program. A reputation that will follow them no matter how well they do at IU. My best case scenario is if we have a program and a coach that are inherently connected. 

Howard? UM, Calipari? UK, K? Duke, Drew? Baylor, and on and on and on.

From the names that have been discussed the ones that would fit that model-that don't already get completely associated with a particular program, are: Lewis, Fife, Enfield, Stevens (kinda), Cheaney, Woodson, Moser (kinda), and a lot of the up and comers.

That's just me.

I would add Oats. 

I’m in my mid 40s and loved Calbert as a player. However, I do not think he is the answer. My biggest fear is him being mediocre and having to hold on to him for a decade. That is one of the downfalls of hiring within. Calbert seems like a great guy, really soft spoken, from my hometown. Lots to love, but I feel out of all the coaches not actively in the tournament, I like Belein, Fife and maybe Lewis before him due to their coaching experience. If it was up to me, it would be Oats, Musselman, or Beard

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Inside the Hall has a nice piece on different candidates. They have 11 so far...I'm pretty sure Calbert would be number 11 on that list. I'm an Evansville guy and that would be an awesome story! Calbert is an awesome person. I met him after a game about ten years ago at Assembly Hall. Would love for him to be the top assistant. But in no way is he ready to be the Indiana Head Coach guys. If he isn't good enough for UE, IUPUI, and UIndy...come on....

3 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I think Cheaney is a bit more modern than Archie was. I think he'd definitely be able to connect more with players and definitely has a better personality. Getting the right assistant coaches would be huge for him obviously. But I would be excited with him. I wouldn't be ready to fire him unless I seen enough red flags like Archie after 2 years. 

Based off what? He’s never been a head coach and his assistant coaching resume is pretty thin. The University of Evansville didn’t want him to be their head coach. Do we officially have lower standards than the University of Evansville?