Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 minute ago, ISP said:

The lack of “leaks” regarding Beard makes me think he is being keyed in on- much like the lack of talk on Archie last time. 

You missed the news this morning.  The Stevens hype train revved back up this morning (I kid).

1 hour ago, Its Always Sunny at IU said:

It's almost impossible to get a coach to leave a place where he's happy and winning unless it's a mid-major guy moving up the ladder. I think Oats would crush it at IU, but he has a good situation at Alabama. And I don't think IU will go after a mid-major guy after getting burned by Archie. Dolson did not have a guy lined up because that rarely happens even at schools that have tradition and rich alumni....see recent coaching hires at other places like Texas football. My guess is a former player and announced today or tomorrow. 

Thanks for that SUNNY!

rain-on-parade.jpg

1 minute ago, zsmithey4 said:

Moser's name would not even be mentioned right now had they lost to Illinois on Sunday. Seems like a really bad idea to hire another mid major flash in the pan especially one that has had even less sustained success than Archie did.

agreed. His record with vs. without Cameron Krutwig is a sight to behold. 

4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Possibly.  You are knowingly hiring a guy with one arm tied behind his back when you hire him though.  That is a handicap that no one else on the wish list has.  He might be able to recruit other areas to make up for that but for him it becomes, "I must recruit those other areas" where as to everyone else it is, "I have an option to recruit those other areas."

And I am totally open to casting a wider net, it feels like some of the Indiana kids are coming in with a sense of entitlement that they have not earned (that is my impression, so don't kill me).  However, I would like to still have an option to get them without having their high school and AAU coaches being a negative factor.  Drew will make that the case.

Parents aren’t going to refuse to send their kids to IU if Drew has us competing for conference titles and making tournament runs. AAU coaches’ grudges from a decade ago won’t matter. The parents will do what’s best for their kids. 

41 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

QUESTION:  Which of the following will NOT be IU's next basketball coach?

1. Santa Claus
  2. Tooth Fairy
  3. Easter Bunny
  4. Brad Stevens

ANSWER:  All of the above.

Or maybe all of the above, just wait until  the trade deadline or maybe Saturday.

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Parents aren’t going to refuse to send their kids to IU if Drew has us competing for conference titles and making tournament runs. AAU coaches’ grudges from a decade ago won’t matter. The parents will do what’s best for their kids. 

Do you have any idea how AAU coaching and college recruiting works? Like at all because I’m starting to think you don’t. Just ask Tom Crean what happens when you alienate AAU coaches and high school coaches in this state.

16 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Glad you brought that up. Indiana Elite is still ran by the same people and they don’t like Drew either. That’s a bigger problem than even Dolson not liking him. Those same guys that run Indiana Elite or have roles with them are also at prominent high schools around the state too. I hope you see the problem with that.

I don’t. We don’t even know that they care as much as you. It was 10 years ago. 

I would also say that it hasn’t hurt him. He has recruited well and developed his players well. One AAU program shouldn’t impact a hire nor one coaches success.

Archie tried to only recruit Indiana kids and it didn’t pan out for him. Recruiting is and should be a global business. Coaches that have proven to be able to pull kids from all over, Canada, Germany, California, Texas, Jamaica etc are the ones finding consistent success

On 3/24/2021 at 5:21 AM, rcs29 said:

Was it predetermined for that to happen? Even if it were it didn't go well. That's kind of what worries me if we go the Beilein route. I'm totally fine with Beilein stand alone for 5-8 years but not so confident with what happens after that.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

You're right...it wasn't publicly announced util 2005...but I think RMK probably had it in mind from the beginning at TT...

For those that think we're going to take another run at Stevens...if we strike out on all the top tier candidates (Oats, Beard, etc.), does the prospect of a Woodson-type hire motivate a donor to step up for another $2-3 million per year to go after Stevens again? Presumably, there would be a $$ value that would be too high for Brad to turn down.

The real conspiracy theory would be that Dolson is floating Woodson, etc., to scare the donor base into ponying up more for Stevens.

Edited by IU Prof

9 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Do you have any idea how AAU coaching and college recruiting works? Like at all because I’m starting to think you don’t. Just ask Tom Crean what happens when you alienate AAU coaches and high school coaches in this state.

What did our good relationship with Indy Elite get us over the last four years? Because we’ve had a whole host of Indiana AAU team players on our roster and it got us where we are today. Rob Phinisee, Damezi Anderson, Armaan Franklin, Khristian Lander, Trey Galloway, Anthony Leal, and TJD all played Indiana AAU ball. And we know how well that worked out for us. 

IU is too reliant on Indiana recruits. We’re never going to “lock down” the state. But we don’t need to. What we need is someone who can recruit nationally. Scott Drew can do that, and he’s done it at a school without IU’s history, facilities, or fan support. 

I just looked it up. Last time Scott made it past the Sweet 16 -- I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL! I'm an old fart now.
I rather have Dane Fife from out of a hat. At least Fife has potential. 
Old Fart? How old are you? I'm pretty sure I'm older than you at 55. If you are old, I'm ancient.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk