Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 minute ago, MikeRoberts said:

I don’t think that is true at all. There are some coaches that have built in enthusiasm like a Steven’s but IU fans have filled the hall for every coach on day one and Woodson would be no different.

I think he would have a short rope though, needing to show progress right away to every jerk from saying i told you so 3 games in.

woodson could do well, needs a great recruiting staff

I don’t agree. It’s been five years since the fans have watched IU play in a tournament game. We’re tired of waiting. Four of our five starters are probably leaving. Woodson would have to field a competitive roster immediately, imo.

A Woodson hire would be completely underwhelming. Only the Facebook grandpas would be happy. An underwhelming hire + a roster worse than last year’s is a recipe for fan apathy. I don’t think fans would be nasty like they would’ve been during a fifth Archie season. I just think they won’t show up. 

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

This is all I’m saying:  if we end up delaying and then end up with someone we could have signed earlier, you are handicapping that coach coming in.

We cannot know this at this point... 

26 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Just ask yourself one question, and you can lie if you want to: If Purdue had a vacancy and was set to hire Mike Woodson, and assuming you want our hated rival to fail, how would you feel about their chances of doing so?

If Purdue had a head coach opening and hired Mike Woodson, Steve Alford, Dane Fife, Michael Lewis, or most of all, Calbert Cheaney, I'd be very very bothered and upset. 

Not because of anything to do with coaching ability.

Just because.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I don’t agree. It’s been five years since the fans have watched IU play in a tournament game. We’re tired of waiting. Four of our five starters are probably leaving. Woodson would have to field a competitive roster immediately, imo.

A Woodson hire would be completely underwhelming. Only the Facebook grandpas would be happy. An underwhelming hire + a roster worse than last year’s is a recipe for fan apathy. I don’t think fans would be nasty like they would’ve been during a fifth Archie season. I just think they won’t show up. 

I agree, underwhelming on the surface, but so was Underwood, Howard, Holtmann... none were rockstar hires and we don’t need to either.

we need to stop wishing and hoping and just make it work. There are a lot of coaches that could get us back in the tourney regularly and I think sadly, that is the new benchmark for us

1 hour ago, DLG3 said:

I’m as ready to freak out as anyone, but we should probably realize that had Archie been retained, we’d likely be looking at a lot of turnover, no matter what. This one time transfer rule will entice a ton of players.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Best post yet....We we’re probably going to have a mass exodus with exception of the few that said they’re not going anywhere.

7 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

Best post yet....We we’re probably going to have a mass exodus with exception of the few that said they’re not going anywhere.

Players want to play in the NCAA tourney.  IU has not been there for 5 years now and the a couple that left last year are getting to experience it.  I am sure they still talk and current players want that experience as well.  Can blame them for wanting better.

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am sorry for being a little edgy earlier but I am and older passionate IU fan.  I just want IU to get back to the top of the big ten and competing nationally.  I also would love to see this fan base get back to what it was once was and that is everyone is behind the program.  The last 20 years it has been so fragmented and to me this doesn't help the program in any way.  I know we each have certain criteria we want in our next coach and some won't be happy whoever is the next coach is.  I did not like the Archie hire because I really wanted Greg Marshall.  I also backed Archie after the hire and gave him 4 years to judge the hire.

You said that you’re 50, right? IU finished with a .500 or worse record three times and missed the tournament five times during the first 3 decades of your life. We’ve finished with a .500 or worse record 5 times in the past 5 years and missed the tournament four times in the past five years. Of course everyone used to be behind the program. Why wouldn’t they be? It’s easy for the fan base to be united when IU is making the tournament almost every year and winning championships. Not so much when you’ve made 10 tournaments in the past twenty years.

13 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

Hopefully, this is good news on the other side of the process for us. At least a pretty good hire, should/could net us better transfers than ever before to get us up and running. We need to get there before the pond runs dry though. 

If IU can't land a top coach its because IU isn't cool anymore. If we land a top coach then it turns out i'm wrong and IU is cool then I apologize, but here are my thoughts on what would have to change if IU can't land anyone they go after. 

Facilities are not the top 5 in the country.

Uniforms are outdated and adidas sponsorship isn't cool to 18 year olds. 

Haven't won anything in recent years. 

rumors are that Administration is looking to self report any and everything

National media doesn't like us

16 minutes ago, bleedhoosier said:

Hopefully, this is good news on the other side of the process for us. At least a pretty good hire, should/could net us better transfers than ever before to get us up and running. We need to get there before the pond runs dry though. 

Yep....Can’t blame kids for having a plan B....I’m not a fan of Dakitch, but yesterday he said the new IU coach shouldn’t reach out to any IU players in the transfer portal. He feels those players should reach out to the new coach themselves....I kind of like that, but then I don’t....

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

You said that you’re 50, right? IU finished with a .500 or worse record three times and missed the tournament five times during the first 3 decades of your life. We’ve finished with a .500 or worse record 5 times in the past 5 years and missed the tournament four times in the past five years. Of course everyone used to be behind the program. Why wouldn’t they be? It’s easy for the fan base to be united when IU is making the tournament almost every year and winning championships. Not so much when you’ve made 10 tournaments in the past twenty years.

You have a fair and valid point.  I am 42.  I was in the 2nd grade when we last won a Championship.  Knight got fired my senior year at Indiana (I was 21...nearing 22).  I think the last time we missed the tournament from that point looking back was 1985.  I don't remember that season at all.  

That means that the connection to Knight is mostly going to be remembered by people who are 40+ years old.  His firing was an inflection point for the fanbase.  When I was 12 we had just gone through a period where IU fans watched a championship, saw Edward's, and had the beginning of the Cheaney years.  By the time I was 13 we had been back to the Final Four again.  Over a 5 year period.  I have a 12 year old now (which is why I bring this up.)  His last 5 years have been Crean and Archie garbage ball.  And he has zero interest in watching Indiana basketball.  The past 21 years have put a huge dent in the fanbase.  Anyone who does not believe that is kidding themselves.  The further we get from that inflection point, the older and older the die hard portion of this fanbase gets.

I don't think young fans are impatient.  The have constantly had it thrown in their face how awesome this program can be their entire lives.  Twenty One years since Knight was fired.  Our last Final four run is almost 2 decades old.  The guys that made that run are about my age.  I was in school with Fife, Coverdale, Hornsby, Jefferies, Moye, Newton, etc.  These younger guys have been extremely patient.  Some of them have been patient their entire lives.

44 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me al of this has really hurt the offense in the college game.  To me the best shot to take is the open shot and I don't care it it is 1 ft, 10 ft or 22 ft.  It is funny that using this strategy over the years in college that scoring as a whole has went down and shooting percentage is down as well.

I agree that an open shot is better- the shot should be open, balanced, and from the right location. These numbers only take into account the location, so I think there is room for numbers to go up if the shot is open and down if the shot isn't, so one stat won't tell the whole story, but I think everyone with the exception of Oats is still extremely midrange jumper happy. This strategy hasn't been used for years.