Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Just now, Moye > Boozer said:

Semantics about what is truly considered "innovative" ----- a sandwich shop that just makes the same old sandwiches but does it a heckuva lot faster??? Worked okay for Jimmy Johns. A TV series that is based on recording people's everyday lives? Worked okay for the Kardashians (don't ask me how I know) and the zillion other reality TV shows. 

There is something truly "innovative" about Oats, however. And here's the quote from the article:

"I think a lot of people don't get it," Oats told CBS Sports. "Some coaches think you can't play fast and still be great on D. Well, no. You can. Offensive pace shouldn't dictate defensive effort."  

I'd say that concept would play pretty well in Bloomington, don't ya think???

Gonzaga and Arkansas are really the only other teams that play as fast as Alabama but also manage to have good defenses. Most of the other top 10 defensive Kenpom teams are playing at snail's paces. 

Dolson keeping this quiet and tight-lipped is tough on the perception of the coaching search.  While so can appreciate the candor and thought of keeping it in house, the constant lack of any sense of direction outside of Stevens is not doing a lot to instill confidence right now.  Players are leaving (potentially) and we are staring at Crean, year 1 version 2.

There is a difference between keeping the details under wraps, but leadership should display some sense of direction and progress.  Example: you don’t want to know how a butcher makes the sausage but you need to know that your order is being worked on and has a rough timeline for completion.

5 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

Gonzaga and Arkansas are really the only other teams that play as fast as Alabama but also manage to have good defenses. Most of the other top 10 defensive Kenpom teams are playing at snail's paces. 

All 3 are in the S16 and we want all 3 of those coaches....coincidence? 

10 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

I understand your point. I just don't see him leaving Buffalo for Alabama for one season, then wanting to come here to potentially ruin his career. He's at the biggest football school in the country, making sweet money, and having success. I'm all for getting the best candidate, but I have a feeling if any contact was made here, or will be made, it will be very, very brief. 

Well he's been at Bama for 2 seasons, not 1 :-). 

Potentially ruin his career? There'd be 20 Bama's lining up for his services if he failed here. 

Being at the biggest football school in the country means you have no chance of basketball being near as important. Some might want to play second fiddle. He doesn't seem to have that personality.

He's making sweet money there but could make sweeter money here. 

If he can have success at Alabama, there is no evidence he can't have success here. 

33 minutes ago, Treesh said:

He's taking the year off and waiting for Pittsburgh to open up next year.

Have to collect the IU check's before he accepts a lower paycheck next year. 

He gets paid the same (10mil over 3yrs) whether he takes a job with a lower paycheck (IU makes up the difference) or not. Can't make less, can only make more (unlikely, but then IU would be off the hook)

3 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Potentially ruin his career? There'd be 20 Bama's lining up for his services if he failed here. 

Being at the biggest football school in the country means you have no chance of basketball being near as important. Some might want to play second fiddle. He doesn't seem to have that personality.

If he can have success at Alabama, there is no evidence he can't have success here. 

I'll also add, the way Dolson spoke of the second donor covering "transition costs" or whatever his vernacular was lead me to think ---- transition cost = "buyout of the new coach's existing contract" ----- more than it meant ponying up for the next coach's annual salary. Any of you take it the same way? Again, not saying that's how he meant it but more how I took it. $12M might be extreme. Though I hope not!!

1 minute ago, Moye > Boozer said:

I'll also add, the way Dolson spoke of the second donor covering "transition costs" or whatever his vernacular was lead me to think ---- transition cost = "buyout of the new coach's existing contract" ----- more than it meant ponying up for the next coach's annual salary. Any of you take it the same way? Again, not saying that's how he meant it but more how I took it. $12M might be extreme. Though I hope not!!

My take is that I thought $12M was extreme until I heard what we were gonna pay Stevens. Oats makes $3.225/year right now. We could offer $4.5-$5M/year and pay the buyout and in 6 years or so we'd have spent less than we would have on Stevens. If the total package for Stevens was doable, the total package for Oats is. 

10 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

well said, I forgot it has been 2 years!

6 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

And since this Old Fart is nearly 73, Woody's just a young whippersnapper to me.   

Everybody is different and you all know people in their 50's who simply don't have any gas left in their tank.  Likewise, you know people in their 70's and maybe even in there 80's who are just as active today as they were 20 or 30 years ago.  The age issue is a valid issue, but you can't automatically assume that they can't be effective just because they're "x" years old.

Exactly... saw a piece on William Shatner the other day... the dude is 90 years old and is still riding horses every day... he looked like a guy in his early 60s, seriously.

22 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Just me trying to save Indiana fans from wanting Woodson. 

Just another Wednesday really. 

EDIT: Race is in transfer portal 

Your always fighting the good fight

5 minutes ago, Moye > Boozer said:

To me that was IU is only paying 3.5 million for the next coach and if we have to pay more than that the booster will cover it. 

2 minutes ago, IU-DL said:

Logic: If it's Woodson, there's really no reason to wait this long to announce. We're "losing" people by the hour to the transfer portal. If you have your guy, you make the announcement and retain/recruit. Otherwise, we don't have our guy. Facts.

In addition, do you really think they’ll hire Woodson/Fife/Beilein NOW instead of talking to Beard/Muss/Oats?