Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 minute ago, Evariste Galois said:

Obviously Dolson needs to determine if Woodson has the personality and energy to bring in recruits. We simply do not know there and fans will come back when we are winning. Proven power 5 is relative - I do not know details on the discussions with Dolson, but winning in the SEC can (and not due to playing style...) can be very different than winning at IU. If the Perea story is true, I will only support Drew if he is actually hired. Until then, threatening someone with deportation is a no-go in my book. 

However the bolded part is one of the reasons I think Woodson is the lowest risk hires we have. If he is not cutting it in 5 years, he can just retire. If he is doing well,  we can get 5 more good years out of him. There is limited risk. 

I am not Woodson or bust, there are lot of names that excite me on our list (I do no get the panic crowd). And I will support our coach, regardless of who he/she is, until they cease to be our coach (I was still behind CAM until the end... especially because he did not cheat).

I agree I will support the coach and give him a fair shake whoever is hired. However, I think that if Woodson doesn't cut it in 5 years IU will be in worse shape than it is now. There is no sure fire slam dunk hires, but I believe a proven P5 coach is the least likely to fail. I think we all agree we don't want to be back here in 4-5 years with another coaching search. I also am not limiting myself to one specific candidate, but I want someone with a proven college record.

5 minutes ago, Treesh said:

I know I'm overreacting but come on. We're losing 4 out of 5 starters?

FRANK

RACE

AL

TJD

We need a big name hire to get transfers in. 

Losing 4 out of 5 starters from a team that finished 10th in the Big Ten and only won 12 games may not be a bad thing. Don't get me wrong, I like them all as players, maybe not necessarily starters on a big ten team that competes for titles.

1 minute ago, monskisprodigy said:

My question is, at what point do we need to have a coach in place, to ensure they can have a chance to pound the transfer market? My concern is we continue to drag this out, and miss the mark on the big transfers. 

Coaches are connecting with transfers, building relationships, and the last thing we want to do is be late to that party...if the IU players in the portal aren't wowed by the coach, and decide to transfer, we have to make sure we can field a freaking team. 

Archie was only fired 10 days ago. The NCAA tourney isn't even done. If the tourney is done and two weeks later we still don't have a coach then I'd start to worry. 

Just now, Treesh said:

I know how it looks. I get testing the waters. Most kids would and probably should but.. the timing is interesting to me. 

Just saying here the timing is normal and should be expected. We fired the coach. They are getting their names in to have communications with other programs. If my kid were on the team I'd tell him to do the same. Just wouldn't read into it as a done deal that they're gone, we really just don't know, and say we get a Beard etc., why wouldn't they return? Again not giving you  a hard time man just think we're in a wait and see.

3 hours ago, Moye > Boozer said:

For any up and coming Nate Oats fans, here's the CBS article profiling him from a few weeks back. I specifically like his multiple references to NOT running Bobby Knight motion in today's game ----- looks like somebody growing up in the midwest was paying attention. Anyway great article about how he has used math / analytics / advanced analytical scouting to give his team advantages. 

Don't think he's coming but he would be my clear number 2 ------ and the way he yelled at the LSU bench to "get the **** outta here" after the SEC championship game and his penchant for plaid jackets he does remind me of someone.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ball-oats-how-alabama-became-an-sec-powerhouse-overnight-on-its-way-to-possibly-changing-college-basketball/

Thanks for posting this.  It was a fascinating read.  I have a new favorite candidate. How deep are those pockets?

1 minute ago, IUCane said:

Why because you say so??  Just more speculation on this board 

Common sense. We're adding fuel to the fire with all these coaching rumors. 

Better programs and coaches will reach out and snag these guys. Meanwhile we're coachless while big transfers wonder elsewhere. 

6 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

I'm starting to think the Woodson talk has legs and everyone is jumping ship.

They are probably just doing due diligence. Once one player explored the portal, many will. 

I think Shrewsberry was an excellent hire for PSU, but effectively all of their players entered the portal. 

7 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

I'm starting to think the Woodson talk has legs and everyone is jumping ship.

I would tell those players if they don't want to be at IU then don't let the door hit your a$$ on the way out.  I knew after the Purdue game you would see Race name in the portal.  when RP said they wanted to be able to beat Purdue for AL and Race because they never had beaten them.  to me that sounded like he knew race wasn't coming back.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

And the last 20 years IU went outside the IU family and it has not worked.  So I am to the point why not go back to the philosophy that has worked in the past.  We bring up names like Oats and Musselman as great hires but those two have only done it for a couple of years at a power 5 conference.

Mike Davis was part of the IU family. He spent three seasons coaching alongside Bob Knight day in and day out. He knew about the program and its history. He knew what Indiana basketball was all about. But it still didn't work out.

There was no "philosophy" that worked for IU. What worked for IU was Bob Knight. IU had the greatest coach in college basketball for years. He's what worked for us. Can one of the 'IU guys' bring that back to the program? Because if not, there's not really anything that an IU guy brings that we couldn't get from someone else. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I would tell those players if they don't want to be at IU then don't let the door hit your a$$ on the way out.  I knew after the Purdue game you would see Race name in the portal.  when RP said they wanted to be able to beat Purdue for AL and Race because they never had beaten them.  to me that sounded like he knew race wasn't coming back.

It didn't have to do with the fact that Race had been there the same amount of time as Al at all. 

My only concern is the timing. All these coaching rumors popping up and now the players are transferring? Our season has been over for almost two weeks and Archie has been in Costa Rica since last Monday. 

Maybe it takes a while to make a decision to enter your name but does it really when you could come back? 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Mike Davis was part of the IU family. He spent three seasons coaching alongside Bob Knight day in and day out. He knew about the program and its history. He knew what Indiana basketball was all about. But it still didn't work out.

There was no "philosophy" that worked for IU. What worked for IU was Bob Knight. IU had the greatest coach in college basketball for years. He's what worked for us. Can one of the 'IU guys' bring that back to the program? Because if not, there's not really anything that an IU guy brings that we couldn't get from someone else. 

Oh but he went to a Championship game so he is great! DWS

9 minutes ago, IUCane said:

Are we losing them?  They still may come back. It would be silly for them to not explore all options given the uncertainty. 

why do we as a fan base overreact to everything??

I posted this in the transfer thread but this is the problem. Could they come back? Sure they could but as soon as a school that actually wins comes calling good luck keeping them. Uncertainty is scary for kids and that's what they are looking at. Plus when that school says they might not have that scholarship open in a week or it gets the athlete to make a decision. This will become problematic especially if IU doesn't have a coach in place. 

8 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Recruits who might not think he will be coaching in 3-4 years down the line because he is old?

63 is not old and there are probably 3 or 4 older than that has teams in the sweet 16

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

My only concern is the timing. All these coaching rumors popping up and now the players are transferring? Our season has been over for almost two weeks and Archie has been in Costa Rica since last Monday. 

Maybe it takes a while to make a decision to enter your name but does it really when you could come back? 

Uncertainty is scary and Dolson isn't telling the players anything new. 

Let's just hope the new coach -- whoever he is -- can persuade Race and Armaan to stay. I s'pose I should say Stewart as well, but having not seen him play at IU, it's difficult to miss something you never had. 

If those guys do go -- and TJD departs -- the new coach will be looking at an empty cupboard. Not quite like what Crean got when he arrived, but sheesh ... 

He could inherit a roster of six scholarship players: Leal, Lander, Galloway, Geronimo, Jerome and Rob. Throw in Brunk if he stays and Duncomb if he comes and you get eight. Some decent players, but that's not a B1G roster. 

10 minutes ago, brandct said:

What has any of the Indiana family names EVER did in a power 5 conference? 

I guess some of you don't understand fit or culture and just because it didn't work one place doesn't mean it won't here.