Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

30 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

If they don't come then they don't come. But you still have to try. Use the big checkbook he apparently has and make each of them tell you no before you turn to the other guys. 

What IF that big checkbook was ONLY for Stevens?  We don’t know the circumstances Dolson is working under.  

2 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

I am still of the opinion that we can get someone good if we open the checkbooks up. I was just thinking about UCLA hiring Cronin. Cronin grew up in Cincy, and went there for college. He was coming off a 28 win year and had 30 wins the year before. UCLA was laughed at by every media member for how poorly they were handling their search but still managed to get him because they made him the third highest paid coach in the NCAA. I'm sure many UCLA fans thought why would Cronin leave an established program for us. 

I think there is someone proven out there that would come if we offered 6-7 million. I know you don't like him but I'm just using Drew as an example. I still don't know if Baylor could afford to pay Drew that kind of money. He wouldn't be making under 3 million if they could. He's had flirtations with other schools in the past. I know Illinois for example was talking to him before they hired Underwood. 

Baylor has plenty of booster money to pay IF they think he is worth it?  He may/may not come for other reasons 

16 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Belichick wasn't 63.

It takes longer to turn around football team in general - lots of players.

A couple really good recruiting classes and a coach who knows what they are doing and you are winning in basketball. Plus it is not like the cupboard is bare... and with decent transfers we could be wining at a good pace next year.

1 minute ago, Unexpectedflash said:

I am still of the opinion that we can get someone good if we open the checkbooks up. I was just thinking about UCLA hiring Cronin. Cronin grew up in Cincy, and went there for college. He was coming off a 28 win year and had 30 wins the year before. UCLA was laughed at by every media member for how poorly they were handling their search but still managed to get him because they made him the third highest paid coach in the NCAA. I'm sure many UCLA fans thought why would Cronin leave an established program for us. 

I think there is someone proven out there that would come if we offered 6-7 million. I know you don't like him but I'm just using Drew as an example. I still don't know if Baylor could afford to pay Drew that kind of money. He wouldn't be making under 3 million if they could. He's had flirtations with other schools in the past. I know Illinois for example was talking to him before they hired Underwood. 

Time will tell if the paychecks actually are enough for Indiana to land someone very good. UCLA really blotched their head coaching search with leaks and taking 100 days to complete. He appears to have UCLA heading in the right direction. A bubble team who got a little lucky with their path to the Sweet 16. 

I've always eliminated Scott due to the Hanner situation. Scott was here for that whole ordeal. Not to mention Baylor has a great mens and women's program. Their Football team appears to be pretty bad.. It would be silly to let your best program go to the dumpster with a new coach hire. 

3 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

For sure, for an established guy we would have to make him one of the richest coaches in the game. You either pay that money now or we are raising millions for another buyout in a few years. But by then the program will be gone forever Nebraska football style so perhaps you don't need to worry about future buyouts. 

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why don't you find another team to root for then if you are this unhappy with the program.  Fans like you are the ones that give this fan base a bad name and why we are a laughing stock nationally.  If you don't like leave and leave the actual IU fans to root for the team.  We were always told to root for the name on the front of the jersey and not the back so I will do just that.  Not to call you out but fans like you make me sick to my stomach and it embarrasses me that IU has fans like you.

The Indiana fan base in general is toxic. Ever visited Facebook Indiana pages or Twitter? I know you're older in age and might not appreciate the changing viewpoints of Indiana Basketball but the times have changed. 

Additionally, it's a message board. If you think we're all going to be on the same page then you're drinking some strong apple juice in the morning. It's our choice to sit on our phones and laptops and share who we think should be the next coach for this reason and the next. If you don't like my thoughts then I suggest you don't attend any Indiana games or visit Twitter.. or Facebook or I guess in this case message boards. 

7 minutes ago, Evariste Galois said:

It takes longer to turn around football team in general - lots of players.

A couple really good recruiting classes and a coach who knows what they are doing and you are winning in basketball. Plus it is not like the cupboard is bare... and with decent transfers we could be wining at a good pace next year.

I don't think Mike Woodson is going to generate the excitement in the fan base or recruits. I also believe IU needs to have a proven P5 coach with less risk at this point and time. I am on record as not thinking any of the "IU guys" are in a position to take over this program currently. IF Dolson goes hard after Beard, Muss, Drew, etc. and strikes out on all of them I might understand a Mike Woodson type hire. However, if he is not talking to all of those guys first I think this is a big mistake. One other thing to think about...what happens in 3-4 years if Mike Woodson is not cutting it? Will Dolson have more pressure to fire an "IU guy" than an Archie Miller?

Edited by FritzIam4IU

2 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

The consolation to hiring Woodson will be watching some of you completely lose your isht.

Watching Archie lead a team to a NCAA game before Woodson will be even better. I won't lie about that. :103:

1 hour ago, T White said:

I just can't fathom an AD sharing this sort of information. I will still believe what Rabjohns said on JMV that the whole physical failing thing didn't happen.

He did... and I agree that an AD trying to hire a basketball coach at a P5 school should have more important things to focus on that playing mind games with the fanbase... but, what do I know?

4 hours ago, iu eyedoc said:

Someone give me some context for the Woodson hate. He is a well respected, defensive minded coach that, by the player interviews posted on here seems to hold players( even NBA players) accountable. His record as the Hawks HC overall was mediocre, but the team improved every year to the point of 53-29 in his last season. As Knicks HC, he coached them to their only 1st place finish in the Atlantic division  since 1993 and most , wins since 1994. HeII, his 37 wins in his 2nd season are more wins than any NYK team he didn't coach since 2003. He isn't my first choice, but it seems that a lot of dislike for him, much like like for others is just a lot of posters parroting others.

I get he would need some strong recruiters, but I don't see the reason for all the angst towards him as HC

If I am wrong, I don't watch NBA, so I might well be, please point to what I am missing.

I think you answered your own question with facts.

In his 6th season as a head coach, he won 64% of his games.

So based on that, after 6 years on the job, we have a 20-11 record to look forward to.  We'll be right back where we started in a few years if that's what we can expect.

Oh, he made the playoffs in the NBA?  Over half of the teams in the NBA make the playoffs.  You are literally more likely than not to make the playoffs in today's NBA.

He's also 63 years old.  Aside from a few diehard fans on this board, no one even knows who he is.  I'm 35 and I've been an IU fan all my life, and I couldn't tell you what IU team he played on or what he accomplished.

And if I can't, no way in hell a current in-state high school recruit can.  That is a huge built-in disadvantage.

If he went to Penn State, Virginia, or literally ANYWHERE else, no one would give him the slightest bit of consideration.

This is getting out of hand.  I'm seriously disturbed by the number of people getting on board with the potential of hiring Woodson.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfanyuh said:

As long as we have a coach who wins does it really matter who it is? I just want someone so we can start recruiting again. Someone on HSN said something about Friday, but yk people say that everyday. 

At the end of the day, it's about what they win. CTC won big ten championships and Sweet 16 rings and still got fired. 

If we want someone who can keep Indiana "winning" we hire Steve Alford tonight. 

If we want someone who can actually get Indiana to where it needs to be -- FINAL FOUR  then we look for potential and impressive resumes. 

Coaches with lackluster resumes and even no college experience probably shouldn't be considered. 

11 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

The consolation to hiring Woodson will be watching some of you completely lose your isht.

Yeah if it's Woodson it's going to be like Christmas morning for that 10 year old boy who is convinced he's getting a PS5 but when he opens the box it's a bunch of Lincoln logs.  Dolson isn't that dumb.

giphy-downsized-large (1).gif